System display turns off and goes blank! Have to restart!

iamzero

Broken In
Hello,

My system is giving me some issues off late. The display goes of after 15 odd minutes and the monitor remains so as the cpu.

In order to get display back i have to restart the system. The monitor also remains on and the only thing is after 15 minutes the screen itself turns itself black or off and have to restart.

Can someone suggest with what the issue can be? Is it related with motherboard or my psu? The system is around 3 years old and is i3 with 4gb ram and 1tb hard disk.

Thanks!

OP
I

iamzero

Broken In
The issue might be related to overheating or due to lower rating of PSU . Post ur complete specs including PSU .

hello,
i will post the specs tomorrow with manufacturer name and exact specs.

however i opened the system and found out my graphic card was heated a little bit and i am speculating it might be the cause.

it is 1gb nvidia gt9400 as far as i know and is just a starting model. If it is with graphic card related, then is it damaged and i need to remove it?

cant i connect simply to vga slot of.motherboardm i tried and it gave no signal error.

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
Remove the GPU. Connect the VGA cable to the motherboard port. Then try . If no issues are detected then probably your gpu is at fault.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the system turns off after 15 mins of what ? at idle state or while you are working on the PC ? If it happens due to the former then set the system no never sleep from power options.

OP
I

iamzero

Broken In
Remove the GPU. Connect the VGA cable to the motherboard port. Then try . If no issues are detected then probably your gpu is at fault.

I did the same and it seems to work fine. SO that means my graphic card is dead or what? What can eb the issue with it?

ALso i use a 20inch Samsung LCD standard and when i used the vga display the screen resolution si all lost and not working as it was earlier. Any thought on that thing? IT constantly asks for 1600x900 which is not listed in settings,

I just want to get it back with what resolution i had with my nvidia card!

Thanks and my bad if i posted in wrong section but it was moved from 2 other section to this one by mods.

vito scalleta

In the zone
I did the same and it seems to work fine. SO that means my graphic card is dead or what? What can eb the issue with it?

ALso i use a 20inch Samsung LCD standard and when i used the vga display the screen resolution si all lost and not working as it was earlier. Any thought on that thing? IT constantly asks for 1600x900 which is not listed in settings,

I just want to get it back with what resolution i had with my nvidia card!

Thanks and my bad if i posted in wrong section but it was moved from 2 other section to this one by mods.
It defintely means something is wrong with ur graphics card.. The same thing happened on my system too (nvidia 8400gs)
I had to replace the GPU. If u r short on cash go with a new cheap graphics card.
About your monitor, wat is its native resolution ? And wat exactly do you mean by saying "the screen resolution is all lost and not working as it was earlier" ?

quicky008

Technomancer
Have the drivers for your gpu and monitor been installed properly?If not,you may not be able to use your monitor's native resolution.Usually the drivers for a monitor are installed by newer operating systems by default,but if somehow they get corrupted or removed accidentally then it won't function correctly.Which OS are you using atm?And do you face this issue while using your onboard graphics or the discrete gpu(ie 9400gt)?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
just remove the old GPU driver, Install VGA driver for your motherboard igp and everything should be fixed.

OP
I

iamzero

Broken In
Yes i reinstalled the intel drivers and resolution worked fine.

Just wanted to know, is the graphic card now over or what?
I mean i narrowed down to smps and graphic card, is there a possibility with smps as well, since it is no longer providing power to the graphic card?

Or the graphic card has lived its part. Just for knowledge purposes!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post the brand and model name of the PSU ? Sometime PSUs just fail to provide enough power to the gpu but your gpu is not a power hungry one so most probably it's the GPU alone.

If really want to find out only sure way is to test the gpu on some friends pc with a good PSU.

Top Bottom