Switching to Networking/Programming : Advice Needed

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello All,

I find myself in a conundrum for which I seek help from fellow TDFer's.I am a 2010 BTech passout, After passing out, I got a campus placement in Accenture Ltd.I worked there as an SAP Basis Consultant for about 2.3 years. I wanted to get an MBA in order to enhance my career, however I made an unfortunate mistake of quitting my job in February,2013 in order to prepare for the MBA exams.

Well, I did give the exams but couldn't achieve the desired results i.e. I didn't get into a college of my choice.

So now I want get back into the IT sector, the problem is I never really liked the work I did during my days as an SAP Basis consultant, I was always interested in Networking or Programming but didn't get an opportunity.

I see this as an opportunity to start afresh and get into the Networking/Programming field, however I have forgotten all the basics I had studied during my B.Tech years. So I was thinking of doing a professional course from one of these IT training institutes like NIIT,Jetking etc.

The doubts that I wanted to ask are these.

1. Are these professional courses beneficial ?, is the knowledge imparted by these courses of relevance in the IT organizations. If not, what is the way to go here ?.

2. Are these courses reliable and what is the guarantee of getting a job in that particular field after finishing with them ?

I am aware that the websites of these particular institutes mention 100% placement assistance but is this the case in reality ?

ANY AND ALL ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !

Cheers!
Abhijit

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Programming as in what exactly ?
C++, C actual network programming ? You will have to go back to basics, algorithms and C, C++ to clear interviews for such courses.
Might have to work little bit on open source to get experience.. join smaller company with less pay and then move up the programming ladder.
Networking as in IT networking job or network programming ?

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Programming as in what exactly ?
C++, C actual network programming ? You will have to go back to basics, algorithms and C, C++ to clear interviews for such courses.
Might have to work little bit on open source to get experience.. join smaller company with less pay and then move up the programming ladder.
Networking as in IT networking job or network programming ?

Programming as in Java/.NET and Networking as in It networking.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
First of all there's no either or. Setup your mind, either you want to go into programming if yes Java or .NET? Or you want to go into Networking?

I think you can go ahed and do the courses if you feel the lacking for passing interviews. You can always try to go back into Accenture or try to contact old colleagues and see if you can change domain. Generally MNC's don't allow to change domain without strong reason.

If you are just into money (which you don't seem to be), then SAP is best. Else if you want to do job if your liking you have to struggle.

If you can't get into MNC's you can do a fresh start with SME's (Small and Medium Enterprises), where the interview is not so tough.

But I believe, as you have experience with MNC's you can try get in there and try to convince HR / Pool Managers to change your domain (i.e. allocate you to a project of your liking). Ofcourse you need to pass the project interview.

Top Bottom