Suse 9.1 Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
NikhilVerma

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Thanks a lot...

I downloaded and Installed the drivers ... But I can't use 'em coz my system crashes whenever I use them...
So I'm thinking of YaST online update...

But my Suse doesn't detect Motorola SM56 modem..
I installed it's .rpm drivers too and it also shows the driver in the "Add remove software section" but it still doesn't detect my modem...

How can I make it detect my modem??

Also how can I replace kde as the default with gnome or Xpde ??

technomodel

Journeyman
i dont think you can obtain the correct drivers for your modem to work in suse 9.1. i read somewhere that the modem has problems in the newer linux distributions with kermel versions higher than 2.4**. i'll post the url when i find it. to use ur modem, i'll suggest u get an older kernel(preferably 2.4.21)and use it.there are many posts in this forum describing the steps of kernel recompilation in detail.

you can configure the window manager by using the command #gdmsetup.or else you can make the change at the login screen.there sould be a menu option for it.

hope this helps...and congratulations for ur decision of sticking to linux :)

OP
NikhilVerma

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Thatnks a lot GNU and techno...

startx worked fine!!!
* Any Idea how to make it permanent?

* echo $DISPLAY shows nothing (I know I'm typing correctly).. just a blank line is printed

* less command worked fine... Thanks again for that

* I have seen screenshots of people using Wine to emulate Winamp and Office 2003 but I have downloaded the latest version and it still doesn't run Winamp or Office 2003... It just goes forward some steps and then shows a debug windows and If I press Ctrl+C it quits... How do I emulate them?

* I replaced my startup GUI to Xpde which is not quite good... How do I revert back to kde?? The .xinitrc.template file has been deleted !! By mistake

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
NikhilVerma said:
startx worked fine!!!
* Any Idea how to make it permanent?
The fact that startx works means that your X server is fine now. After rebooting your GUI should start giving a login prompt. Just to make sure can you tell me the output of this command ?
$ grep initdefault /etc/inittab

NikhilVerma said:
* echo $DISPLAY shows nothing (I know I'm typing correctly).. just a blank line is printed
I was trying to figure out the problem regarding xset . When the DISPLAY variable gets misconfigured then GUI applications cannot connect to the Xserver. Sometimes this fixes such problems...
$ export DISPLAY=':0.0'

NikhilVerma said:
* I have seen screenshots of people using Wine to emulate Winamp and Office 2003 but I have downloaded the latest version and it still doesn't run Winamp or Office 2003...
That's not Wine for sure... It could be Crossover or VMware ... or something else.

NikhilVerma said:
It just goes forward some steps and then shows a debug windows and If I press Ctrl+C it quits... How do I emulate them?
Why do you need to emulate Windows apps ? Aren't you happy with native Linux applications like OpenOffice ? Does OpenOffice look so cryptic that you cannot understand ? :) :)

NikhilVerma said:
* I replaced my startup GUI to Xpde which is not quite good... How do I revert back to kde?? The .xinitrc.template file has been deleted !! By mistake
IMHO, .xinitrc file is required when you are starting X server by using startx .... If you login via the Login manager then you can select your desktop from the drop down menu from the login manager itself. I myself dont have any .xinitrc file in my home dir.

However, this command can fix your .xinitrc problem.
$ echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom