Suse 9.1 Boot Issues

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by klinux, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klinux

klinux New Member

hi ,

just installed complete suse 9.1 personal edition from digit dvd . couple of questions

- Since i never use a linux bootloader and only use loadlin from dos prompt for both fedora and linux 8.0 .
    - will loadlin work for suse 9.1 ?
    - will loadlin work for suse 9.1 in reiser FS also ?
    - i tried with all 3 versions of loadlin (a,b,c) and it give a kernel panic error unable to mount file system . could anything else be causing this problem
    - suse has an option for booting from the cd directly to partition , which is GR8 .
    - If i install grub now , would it detect all the os in my system . have the following installed already
    - win98 / 2k / 2kserver / xp which boot from nt loader
    - pcquest fedora / pcquest red hat 8 which boot fine from win98 dos prompt with loadlin
    - suse 9.1 which boots only with suse 9.1 cd in it , which can't boot with loadlin
    - xandros open edition which can't boot with loadlin

So u see , i want to know if installing grub now wont mess up my system . or even xosl . and if it does get messed up can i use grub repair , if any to bring back everything to original mbr . Used samsung ontrack disk manager to make the partition for windows and used it to back up the mbr twice . it states not to use this option if i use lilo . so is grub gonna be fine or not . Thank You

2. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

Why so ? Try to use a boot loader as far as possible... Otherwise you'll waste a lot ot time flipping between OSes to get ur GNU/Linux started ...

Yep... if your copy of kernel is compressed as a gzimage and not bzimage

as far as i think, it works with simple ext partitions.... just read its help...

Please quote the exact error that loadlin throws at you... Loadlin works with kernels that are made as GzImages.... if your kernel is a BzImage then it probably would not work... For creating a GzImage compile you kernel sources again... and while making a kernel image.... give option, make gzimage

hmmm
    Yes, the setup program will detect all ur FAT32 partitions and will add entries to grub.conf so that you can boot from them....
    more details please...
    Nope.... it wont...
    C:\> fdisk /mbr for windows 98
    and fixboot, fixmbr for Windows XP
    Who states ? what does it state ?

3. OP
    OP
    klinux

klinux New Member

thanks for detailed reply . very detailed and usefull . just starting off with linux so i do have some dificulties with the error messages

finally fixed the prob with suse booting with loadlin . changed the fs from reiser to ext3 .
    but there is an option to use loadlin to boot suse even if it is reiser . got to go through some documents b4 trying that .
    - was interesting to find out reiser is faster than ext3
    - the samsung ontrack diskmanager stated not to use its own mbr backup option if i planned to use lilo .
    - have a fear for lilo and boot loaders ever since had all 1's scrolling on the screen when i installed linux long back . will try grub some day

- which would be better for windows/linux/solaris x86 version ? grub or xosl .

- any good 3rd party utility to backup and restore mbr ? .

- xandros still isnt booting with loadlin , some error like " kernel panic unable to mount fs " .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.