Suse 10.2 shows lesser speed of processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kalyan

Hi all..

I have an AMD 5600+ proccy on an ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo. I have Suse 10.2 on my pc. In My Computer, it shows that the processor correctly(5600+) but the speed is shown only as 1000MHz while the speed should 2.8GHz or 2800MHz

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
AMD Athlon 64 CPU uses Cool&Quite technology which decreses the CPU speed when it is not used much. This is whats happening in your case I suppose. Try running some CPU intensive task like video encoding & see the clock speed then, it will be 2.8 GHz

fiddler

Right off the assembly line
AMD Athlon 64 CPU uses Cool&Quite technology which decreses the CPU speed when it is not used much. This is whats happening in your case I suppose. Try running some CPU intensive task like video encoding & see the clock speed then, it will be 2.8 GHz

thats partially true, athlon cpu's allow for cpu stepping but what suse uses is cpufreqd or a similar package that allows for the cpu stepping.

generally in suse thats set to on-demand i.e the cpu speeds up only when its needed and slows down when its not.

Offtopic- hows the amd x2 5600+ performance tho? was thinking about upgrading to it.

OP
K

Kalyan

fiddler said:
Offtopic- hows the amd x2 5600+ performance tho? was thinking about upgrading to it.

Its working fine. I had no trouble till now or heating issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom