Superstitions & Stereotypes

Flash

Lost in speed
Superstitions and stereotypes - looks different, right?
No. It's not.. Stereotypes in the longrun, tends to become superstitions.,IMO

What're the Superstitions and stereotypes you run across in your daily life and do you believe in it?

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Ok. Let me tell you the examples that i've seen

1. In mylapore(chennai), there's a famous shiva temple adjacent to the mylapore railway station (which is a part of MRTS, Mass rapid transit system or in layman terms - flying train). I often see people who get down the train, leave their footwears a step back, lean out of the station window or stand in the direction of temple, close their eyes, pray for a minute and then go to their work. All this happens inside the railway station

2. Some people do this even, when the train is crossing some small temple on its way.

To me, these acts look somewhat abnormal and looks like "Blind faith".

ratul

█████████████████
some of the most common one i can remember:
1. No chicken or onion on tuesday, thursday, saturday... :D
2. No nail cutting after sunset..
3. No Hair cutting on thursday..
4. Hanging those Nimbu-mirch and Matka painted with some ugly face to prevent bad luck..
5. Giving precious oil and pulses with a coin to a Shani-vala every saturday for good luck.
6. My dad wearing numerous rings on his fingers suggested by an astrologer.
7. Preaching of "Jyotish se hi dunia chalti hai" by my parents..
8. No machine that isn't working should be there inside home, ex: a stopped watch indicates bad luck, so it shouldn't be at home, or a gone kaput computer or any other electronics..
9. Scissors shouldn't be used unnecessarily in the air, as it leads to fight in the house..
10. Eating your breakfast, lunch or dinner on the bed results in loss of money.

These are some of the things i see daily in my house, and i believe in NONE of them, gosh, i wonder where these things came from?? Our ancestors really were great trollers.. :p

My landlord asks me not to throw garbage in out in the bin at night as the dust is Laxmi and doing so leads to loss of money.

Another very popular superstition is that AMD over-heats :D

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Re: Superstitions & Stereotypes

This one is from my friend.. Not sure whether it has any scientific explanations behind it..

- "Don't drink water, after eating ice cream/drinking cool drinks".

1. No chicken or onion on tuesday, thursday, saturday... :D
2. No nail cutting after sunset..
3. No Hair cutting on thursday..
4. Hanging those Nimbu-mirch and Matka painted with some ugly face to prevent bad luck..
5. Giving precious oil and pulses with a coin to a Shani-vala every saturday for good luck.
6. My dad wearing numerous rings on his fingers suggested by an astrologer.
7. Preaching of "Jyotish se hi dunia chalti hai" by my parents..
8. No machine that isn't working should be there inside home, ex: a stopped watch indicates bad luck, so it shouldn't be at home, or a gone kaput computer or any other electronics..
9. Scissors shouldn't be used unnecessarily in the air, as it leads to fight in the house..
10. Eating your breakfast, lunch or dinner on the bed results in loss of money.

These are some of the things i see daily in my house, and i believe in NONE of them, gosh, i wonder where these things came from?? Our ancestors really were great trollers.. :p

Another very popular superstition is that AMD over-heats :D
:mrgreen:

ratul

█████████████████
Re: Superstitions & Stereotypes

This one is from my friend.. Not sure whether it has any scientific explanations behind it..

- "Don't drink water, after eating ice cream/drinking cool drinks".

i think that you can drink lukewarm water after it, cold water right after ice-cream had given me sore throat in the past, sometimes leading to coughing... :oops:

Top Bottom