Suggestion regarding Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

Champ

.NET Guru
Hi Guys,
Thinking about purchasing Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 as a walkaround lens for events/portraits

Any suggestions/feedback regarding quality would be welcome.

I owe a Nikon D5100

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bro the 1st problem is its not wide enough....its 28-75 range seems like a FX range of 18-55 (27-82 )

you will not be able to take good landscapes...and 28mm will be like 42mm on ur DSLR

We mostly recommend Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Di LD Tamron -17-50mm F/2.8(Model A16)
which is made for APSC sensor like yours D5100....its sharp and fast...and great walk around lens

OP
Champ

Champ

.NET Guru
Point taken, and Tamron 17-50 is a good general purpose lens,

But for portraits I find 75mm length very limiting,
Generally I use my 50/1.8 for portraits, but with primes its very difficult to get candid shots,
even to switch from head shot to shoulder length one has to walk 3-4 steps back and most of the time moment is lost.

With my little experience I have realized that focal lengths from 70-120 are good for portraits/family unions etc
That translates to some what 45mm-80mm lens on my crop body

all 24-70 are way beyond budget, will love to buy them but my employers will have to double my salary :-D

for landscapes I have my kit lens and we gen. dont need shallow depth of field for landscapes anyway

So was thinking about gifting this one to myself this Dussera,

Your Thoughts...

sujoyp

Grand Master
1st you will not get nice bokeh like in 50mm 1.8 in any normal zooms other then Nikon 70-200 2.8 ...soo you have to sacrifice on that.
secondly you are absolutely right that full candid and portrait from 50mm is very limiting...but for that y not 17-50 2.8...you already have 18-55 and getting a 28-75 will duplicate the range...and that range will not be much useful anywhere else...sell ur kit lens too

if 45-85mm is ur fav....I wish I could suggest you Sigma 50-150 2.8 :D ...its just fit in all the things...plzz dont ask me price ;) let it be secret

whats your exact budget..

OP
Champ

Champ

.NET Guru
Looked at 50-150 too
I am reluctant for 17-50 as I fear only upper focal length of lens say 40+ will be used.
ATM not willing to go above 30-35K

sujoyp

Grand Master
okk...I dont see many choice for you....most people with this kind of photography get a 50mm and a 70-200 or a 85mm

here is the photos taken from tamron 28-75Flickr: The Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Group Pool

If u want clean bokeh get 35mm for full body or 85mm for close potraits ....

Top Bottom