Suggestion plz.!:-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanhadey

Broken In
Recently my 865 motherboard got kaput due to my faulty smps. Now i am searching 4 a board that can support my PENTIUM D 2.66 Ghz processor. Is their any motherboard still available that can support it (if from nvidea chip). I plan to buy a entry level gfx card like 9500, is it possible wid that board. On second hand side i've seen an old asus p5 board wid ati gfx onboard and can support both ddr and ddr2. The vendor is telling me it is good. I want to know that is it better than 945 board? Or any other option.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Recently my 865 motherboard got kaput due to my faulty smps. Now i am searching 4 a board that can support my PENTIUM D 2.66 Ghz processor. Is their any motherboard still available that can support it (if from nvidea chip). I plan to buy a entry level gfx card like 9500, is it possible wid that board. On second hand side i've seen an old asus p5 board wid ati gfx onboard and can support both ddr and ddr2. The vendor is telling me it is good. I want to know that is it better than 945 board? Or any other option.

get a Intel G31 based Gigabyte board. should cost ~2k. support DDR2 only. as u planning buy a graphics card, why waste on getting one with good IGP? also DDR & DDR2 supporting motherboard will definitely cost more. save that and u maybe able get a better card. also change PSU to a descent one. else Gigabyte maybe next victim.

OP
kanhadey

kanhadey

Broken In
get a Intel G31 based Gigabyte board. should cost ~2k. support DDR2 only. as u planning buy a graphics card, why waste on getting one with good IGP? also DDR & DDR2 supporting motherboard will definitely cost more. save that and u maybe able get a better card. also change PSU to a descent one. else Gigabyte maybe next victim.

Thanx. I also have an option to change my processor to AMD X2 2.8 Ghz, which will be another price addon. It may cost me ~3000, right na! But consequently my old Pentium D will waste. Is it a gud attempt, as it costing me 3000 more for a mere 0.14 ghz increase! Is X2 that much better than P-D.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanx. I also have an option to change my processor to AMD X2 2.8 Ghz, which will be another price addon. It may cost me ~3000, right na! But consequently my old Pentium D will waste. Is it a gud attempt, as it costing me 3000 more for a mere 0.14 ghz increase! Is X2 that much better than P-D.

if its Athlon II X2, go for it. however it is advice to change ram as well. with Athlon II X2 + 785G/880G based board (3.8k-4.3k/4.8k) + 2Gb DDR3 (2.7-3k). this will ensure even after many years your pc upgradeable. else with G31, if u upgrade next time, u'll have dump everything.

also u can get performance equal to 9500GT with the IGP once OC (its safe). whats your view on the config?

OP
kanhadey

kanhadey

Broken In
u can get performance equal to 9500GT with the IGP once OC (its safe). whats your view on the config?

I appreciate that yours config is just the best 4 me to invest on. But sorry to say its going to drill my dad's pockets (especially when he is luking 4ward 4 a repair!). So lastly according 2 ur previous suggestion i m setting 4 the
G31 board-2.2k
DDR2 1GB Ram-1.3k
still luking gud na!

Please atleast lie me that this Pentium D 2.66 is closer to X2 at 2.6 ghz.
(Just 2 convince myself)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I appreciate that yours config is just the best 4 me to invest on. But sorry to say its going to drill my dad's pockets (especially when he is luking 4ward 4 a repair!). So lastly according 2 ur previous suggestion i m setting 4 the
G31 board-2.2k
DDR2 1GB Ram-1.3k
still luking gud na!

Please atleast lie me that this Pentium D 2.66 is closer to X2 at 2.6 ghz.
(Just 2 convince myself)

no problem there. also if u can go for 2Gb ram.

Pentium D's biggest problem is its made on 65nm node (manufacturing process) so will run a bit hot than X2. performance difference isn't too huge. the real bet is X2 + 785G >> Pentium D + G31 (even G41 nowhere near 785G).

OP
kanhadey

kanhadey

Broken In
performance difference isn't too huge. the real bet is X2 + 785G >> Pentium D + G31 (even G41 nowhere near 785G).

Now thats what i really wanted to listen to... Thanx(to lie - :) ). Now as i know what to purchase i m Hoping to get the change as soon as possible. Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom