Suggestion Needed

abirthedevil

In the zone
Hello guys, my friend has some left over parts and wants me to build him a gaming rig by adding new components so I will break this into 2 parts what I have and what I want

1) What I have
CPU- i3-2120
RAM- corsair value 1333 Mhz 4gb
HDD-WD 500GB
KB and Mouse
Cabinet- NZXT Phantom (smaller one 410 its called I guess, been away from computer news for so long)
UPS - Have
Monitor- some 1080p monitor

2) What I dont have with options running through my mind
MB-Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H 4k-4.3k
GPU- want to add 7850 1GB 13kish but not sure if friend will opt for such a pricey card
PSU- unsure as have not yet decided on the biggest power draw for the rig i.e the GPU

So guys I have a few questions
1)Will the CPU be a bottleneck if paired with the 7850?
2)If the previous questions answer is no then will it be a bottleneck if rig runs 2x 7850's which might be added later
3)Is 7850 crossfire viable on the Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H?
4)Which SMPS/PSU should I go for if I am running single 7850 and what SMPS should I be looking at if I intend to run 2x 78650's in crossfire?

Also suggestions are welcome for the components that are yet to be purchased.
Thanks

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Agreed. i3 2120 is a very good Gaming CPU and can handle even HD 7950 or GTX 660 Ti without noticeable bottleneck.

OP
abirthedevil

abirthedevil

In the zone
OK cool so with CPU sorted, also the crossfire option being crossed off please take a look at the other items on the list

Cilus

laborare est orare
1. Crossfire is not recommended in X16-X4 setting and i3 2310 will bottleneck the cards
2. For PSU, even CX 430 V2 can power a HD 7850. For being in safer side, you can opt for CX 500 V2 or GS500.

win32.tr0jan

Journeyman
1)Will the CPU be a bottleneck if paired with the 7850?

Sandy Bridge i3 will be fine.

3)Is 7850 crossfire viable on the Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H?

Yes, it supports Crossfire, but not hybrid crossfire.

4)Which SMPS/PSU should I go for if I am running single 7850 and what SMPS should I be looking at if I intend to run 2x 78650's in crossfire?
For a system using a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.
- tomshardware

Last edited:
Top Bottom