Suggestion needed - desktop or lappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalyan

Journeyman
Hi..

I need a suggestion. I was planning to buy a new pc for myself. I use it mostly for gaming, programming and 3d designing, and multimedia. I was planning for an AMD 64x2 with min. 1GB RAM. etc.. My friend had informed me that he could arrange for a lappy from US, if I wanted. Now, I am in a dilemma. I just got some doubts about lappys. What if I got trouble with them? If I got any trouble with desktop pc, I am confident that I could repair them. I am not sure abt lappys as I didnt use them till now. Some of my friends told me that we cannot use lappys for a long time. I usually use my system for hours together. What about comfort in lappys? Can I play games with the same ease in the laptops as desktop? I've got a bunch of doubts in my mind abt the laptops and am not able to resist the temptation for a laptop. Guyz.. please help. I have gone through the mobile monsters section and got some models of laptops.

1.HP Pavillion DV9010 TX
2.HP Pavillion DV9309 TX
3.Dell XPS 1710

Surely, I need a 17" monitor. I know that these are some high end laptops. But If anyone can help, please suggest me with a model of laptop with a 17" display, multichannel soundcard, decent graphics etc. Please also include the price of the above laptops and any of the models you suggest. I am ready to go for an AMD laptop. Gaming, programming and multimedia are my preferences. And I cant sacrifice the 17" display and a multichannel sound. Does laptops come with a multichannel sound output?

I am not that concerned about mobility/Portability. Please suggest me whether I should go for a desktop in India or a laptop from US?

Last edited:

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Now, I am in a dilemma. I just got some doubts about lappys. What if I got trouble with them?
My bought-from-america laptop gave up on me and now it rests in a cupboard because someone told me that toshiba's always have International warranty :(. So make sure to particularly ask for if the company is offereing international warranty for the particular model.

Laptops in US are atleast 40% cheaper than India, atleast that was my experience.

Can I play games with the same ease in the laptops as desktop?
Desktops are much more comforatble for games. Having said that I played CS, NFS underground for hours on the laptop. It does gets uncomfortable after a while, but its tolerable.

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
I would definitely suggest a Desktop if mobility is not a factor
Upgrading a Desktop is much easier than Lappy and also the availability of parts is a factor to be considered
On any given day, a Desktop is better than a laptop (sans mobility factor)

janitha

Wise Old Owl

"I am not that concerned about mobility/Portability. Please suggest me whether I should go for a desktop in India or a laptop from US?"

If it is so, why should you think of a laptop?
For all reasons, it should be desktop only.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Considering that you want to use it for gaming, and 3d designing, I would strongly recommend desktop over laptop. Laptops capable of handling the above will cost a lot of cash and very serious thought has to go into providing cooling for the laptop... You cannot use it for long periods without heating up the system... So, stick to desktop... Also, with laptops, the keyboards and mice are not really meant for long period use...

Arun

assasin

Banned
if gaming is ur priority and not mobility then buy desktop.since ur frnd can arrange a lappy for u from the US,i'll suggest u to get some of the high end desktop components from there which r not available in India.that way u can hav a killer config for ur desktop.

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman
Thanks everyone for your help. And It would be of much help if you could suggest me some components. Does the price rule apply for graphic cards from US too? Please suggest me some good components and also, please suggest a good config for my requirements along with the prices. I am a bit inclined towards AMD. If there is a reason why I should go to core2duo, please tell me.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
I am a bit inclined towards AMD. If there is a reason why I should go to core2duo, please tell me.
If lappy then definitely it should be core 2 (if its in your budget)

sumitava_b

In the zone
@Kalyan: visit *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8996 and dig deep there. U will get the apt config according to the games u play or performance u need....

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Do yourself a favour, buy a Desktop, in my experience, the 17" models are no less than bricks. 3.5 kilos doesn't sound very heavy, but add in the weight of a laptop bag, charger etc. and it goes to the region of 5+. And based on your statements, youd do better with a desktop anyway. Finally, for what you would pay for one of those monsters, you could get an extremely powerful desktop.

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman
Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions.. But, please could u give me some solid reasons why I shouldnt go for a lappy (though I consider mobility not my requirement now.) weight is one factor though. but the desktop surely is heavier than lappy. Just clear my doubts..

1. Does the laptop heat much on prolonged usage?
2. What is the average time which a lappy could be used continuously?
3. Does any laptop come with 6 channel audio or more?
4. Does the combination of a lappy with an external wireless/wired keyboard and mouse gets comparable to a desktop?

5. And, if I considered a desktop, what are the components that I could get from US, to make mine a kinda 'killer config'.
6. Suggest me a good 17" lcd monitor. How about a Samsung 740N? or do you have any better ideas?
7. What are the pros and cons of a wide screen monitor?

8. One question.. I see all lappys come with some OS. But, does the manufacturer give us the cd/dvd of the OS or does all of the lappys come with preloaded OS? I got this doubt as some ads tell about preloaded. I saw a couple of persons with lappys and they didnt get any disks (even not the driver cds.) Is this everyone's case or is the retailer cheating?

Thats all for now.. Thanks in advance. :)

assasin

Banned
1>u can never compare a lappy with a similarly priced desktop
2>upgradability is limited in lappy and its hard to find the components u req
3>no DX10 gpu 4 lappies
4>lappy gpu r not as efficient as desktop gpus
5>u cant oc lappies
6>ur choice of hardware gets limited when u buy a lappy.
7>most lappies come with preloaded os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom