suggestion in buying a new system for around 20k

prasanthsd

Broken In
Hi guys

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: General use mostly plus have to run stuff eclipse, visual studio etc. I dont play games at all.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: Around 20k. I did like if I would get something good at a lesser budget.

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7 64bit / Linux

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: Already have HDD

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: Already have a 22" samsung running at 1920 x 1080

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Within a week maybe or maybe I'll give it some more time

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: CPU/MB/RAM/PSU/cabinet/UPS are the only things that I'm going to buy. All other components would be retained.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I would like a VFM system. so most probably a AMD unless something else good is available. And I wouldn't upgrade for like 3 years.

I'm thinking atleast a quad would be necessary. And 2GB might be good enough now, I could add another 2 later on. I'm more inclined toward those cheap PSU's as Im just buying a basic system with onboard GPU etc.

Please give me your suggestions. Thanks in advance

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Athlon II X4 630-635 @ 5k or lower
MSI 880GMA-E45 @ 6k
Corsair/Kingston 2X2Gb DDR3 1333Mhz value @ 5-5.5k
HD5670 512Mb from Sapphire @ 5k (may skip it but as you'll be working on Full HD resolution. its better to have a card)
FSP Saga II 400W @ 2k or Corsair CX400W @ 2/2.8k
NZXT Gamma @ 2.2k or may go for costlier options from Cooler Master & NZXT. also a cheaper alternate is CM Elite 310.

Total: 19.5k (cheapest. no graphics card)

OP
P

prasanthsd

Broken In
How does 880 compare to 785 chipset? Are there any alternatives in this price range?

Basically right now I'm having athlon x2 with onboard GPU. It works fine even when Im working on HD res. So buying a GPU is totally out of question. And about the PSU would getting a local PSU be that bad as im using just the onboard graphics.

Also what UPS would be good for me for connecting these stuff and the 22" monitor.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
How does 880 compare to 785 chipset? Are there any alternatives in this price range?

Basically right now I'm having athlon x2 with onboard GPU. It works fine even when Im working on HD res. So buying a GPU is totally out of question. And about the PSU would getting a local PSU be that bad as im using just the onboard graphics.

Also what UPS would be good for me for connecting these stuff and the 22" monitor.

that board have Sata 3.0 & USB 3.0 (not sure). in terms of performance, its neck to neck. if going for 785G, Biostar TA785G3 HD & Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H /UD2H/USB3. all these 4 are good buys. you may skip the graphics card & instead get X6 1055T (best buy).

about PSU, try hard get a good PSU. cause PSU is the main part. & almost always ignored. a good PSU will extend life of your PC & will also give less problems.

OP
P

prasanthsd

Broken In
I would have bought the system today but none of the shops that I enquired had athlon in stock. Seems people here prefer intel. I'll get it maybe next weekend.

Also one more doubt what UPS would be good for this config + the 22" monitor. would 550 VA be good enough?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Also one more doubt what UPS would be good for this config + the 22" monitor. would 550 VA be good enough?

for 22" 550VA is bare minimum. get 650VA to be safe. get APC 650VA if you can. will cost 2.7-2.9k & is best bet. don't go for Zebronics or iBall Nirvana or such crap UPS. they sound good. but is total waste.

Top Bottom