Suggestion for PC with Large HDD

justgothere

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
I am a hobbyist photographer. Now I do my editing work in a two year old Vaio. It coupled with 1 Dell U2412M monitor for calibrated viewing. The Laptop has 500 GB HDD which is just not enough So I have attached 2 ( Two ) external HDDs through USB ports each of 4 TB capacity. I am also keeping another copy in another laptop but soon it will have to be used for work. So, now I want to have a PC with HDD of around 10 TB ( expandable ) in future. I would use this PC ONLY as the repository of my data. IT WILL NOT BE USED FOR ANYTHING ELSE.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
Rs.20k extendable by another 10K.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 ( I have license so can use it )

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Minimum 10 TB with the capacity of future expansion.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: as basic, small and as cheap as possible.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I have no such components lying idle. Hence has to buy.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within March

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:No, it has to be done by an assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kolkata and I will buy locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: By now you must have understood that all I need is lots of HDD space which can hold my images securely. Please feel free to suggest alternative suggestions like NAS etc. ( I am not a techie hence don't understand a lot of such things ). Please supply necessary links :)

I think the best option will be to buy a used PC for dirt cheap price and spend all remaining cash into storage. Literally any processor will suffice your needs.

If you to buy new one, get this -

Intel 1.8 GHz Celeron G460 (2000)
Biostar H61MLV3 (2800)
EVB 1333 MHz 2 GB RAM (1350)
Local PSU (500)
Used Cabinet (500)
Logitech MK200 (700)
Used CRT monitor (800)

total: 8,650

Spend the reaming cash on storage.

OP
J

justgothere

Broken In
I think the best option will be to buy a used PC for dirt cheap price and spend all remaining cash into storage. Literally any processor will suffice your needs.

If you to buy new one, get this -

Intel 1.8 GHz Celeron G460 (2000)
Biostar H61MLV3 (2800)
EVB 1333 MHz 2 GB RAM (1350)
Local PSU (500)
Used Cabinet (500)
Logitech MK200 (700)
Used CRT monitor (800)

total: 8,650

Spend the reaming cash on storage.

Thanks for such prompt answer. Being a non-techie I would like to ask about whether such old config can run a big HDD ? Please excuse my naive questions.

regards
Somnath

Thanks for such prompt answer. Being a non-techie I would like to ask about whether such old config can run a big HDD ? Please excuse my naive questions.

regards
Somnath

The parts I've mentioned are not old, they were launched the previous year. Yes they can run such large HDDs.

OP
J

justgothere

Broken In
The parts I've mentioned are not old, they were launched the previous year. Yes they can run such large HDDs.

Thanks Harshil ji. Reassured. Can you point me to a suitable HDD of your choice which is compatible to your suggested configuration ? Also would like to know How many HDDs ( internal) can be attached in this system?

regards
Somnath

Thanks Harshil ji. Reassured. Can you point me to a suitable HDD of your choice which is compatible to your suggested configuration ? Also would like to know How many HDDs ( internal) can be attached in this system?

regards
Somnath

> All SATA hard drives are compatible.

> It has 4 SATA ports.

> If you need more ports then you can get a 600 bucks PCIe SATA adapter that will give you 2-3 more SATA ports.

> I suggets WD Green for data storage.

OP
J

justgothere

Broken In
Thanks again Harshilji. Really grateful that you answer my queries with such precise knowledge. One more thing want to ask is , what is the best way to connect the "storage PC" with the Vaio I am using, so that perhaps data transfer is fastest?

regards
Somnath

DK_WD

WD Official
Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: By now you must have understood that all I need is lots of HDD space which can hold my images securely. Please feel free to suggest alternative suggestions like NAS etc. ( I am not a techie hence don't understand a lot of such things ). Please supply necessary links :)

Hi [MENTION=277721]justgothere[/MENTION],

As per your requirement, I’d suggest you to go with the NAS or personal storage devices. This kind of devices are user friendly, easy to access and purposely designed for the storage and backup.

Example:

Support Answers

Support Answers

Support Answers

If you are looking for the NAS system, I also recommend you to go with the harshilsharma63 configuration.

One more thing want to ask is , what is the best way to connect the "storage PC" with the Vaio I am using, so that perhaps data transfer is fastest?
regards
Somnath

The easiest way would be to create a local area network (LAN) using a router or hub, plug both systems into the hub using cat5 cable (Ethernet crossover cable). Then you share all the drives on your laptop by right clicking and choosing share (go through all the security stuff and click ok). Then you go to network places on your desktop and choose show Workgroup computers, all the drives from your laptop will appear. Click and drag the files you want to the appropriate drive on your desktop.
For more information about data transfer PC to PC, you may refer to the link below.

How to Transfer Data between two laptops using LAN Cable - Microsoft Community

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
if you don't want to buy any switch/hub, then you can use your router those generally have 1 WAN & 4 LAN ports

Thanks again Harshilji. Really grateful that you answer my queries with such precise knowledge. One more thing want to ask is , what is the best way to connect the "storage PC" with the Vaio I am using, so that perhaps data transfer is fastest?

regards
Somnath

A Wifi router would be convenient but not fastest. Fastest will be through Ethernet.

Top Bottom