Suggestion for a printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aparajith

Broken In
Hi guys,

I need a Printer for my home. My requirements are as follows :

1 . I will not use it for excessive printing like a DTP , but will occassionally print e-books - maybe two books a month. It should be moderately fast and should support duplex printing. No need for great clarity.I also will not use it daily, maybe once or twice a week.

2. The running costs and maintenance costs should be low.

3. A good support from the manufacturer.I mention this because a friend of mine bought a Lexmark inkjet for which the manufacturer cut support due to which he could not get a new catridge, neither could he get it refilled.

My friend suggests a Laser printer . The reason being it has great clarity , prints fast,has a low running cost , the toner does not dry up easily and has a good life-time too. Is his suggestion right ?

Based on above requirements suggest me a good Laser or Inkjet printer not exceeding 8000 bucks.

Thanx for ur help.

Aparajith .S

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Around 8k, huh? Go for the Samsung ML-1710P. Its around 8.5k and offers great value for your money and is good enough for the casual desktop user with above average printing needs. But depending on your requirements, do not even toy with the idea of an inkjet. They are nowhere near as heavy-duty or cost-efficient as lasers.

OP
A

Aparajith

Broken In
Well dude thanx for ur suggestion , but are Samsungs as good as famous brands like HP, Canon, Epson etc. By the way suggest BELOW 8K if possible... Thanx. By the way checked out Samsung`s website.It does not list ML-1710P but other models as follows : ML-1740 , ML-1750 , ML-2250 , ML-2251N . Which one should I choose of these.

Aparajith .S

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Yes, the Samsung is just as good, the problem with other laser printers is that they start off at around the 11k range, especially HP. Below 8k would be a problem, maybe you can contact the local hardware vendor if he's selling the 1710P for around 8k. Every other printer is definitely above 10k. The only issues I have seen with the printer is the stupid paper tray, but apart from that, installing the toner is very easy and the rear flap makes it easy to handle paper jams. Yes, it supports duplex printing and takes around 45 seconds for 10 pages. Quality is above average and warm up time is acceptable at around 7 seconds. If you want to get this printer, contact your local hardware vendor or contact Samsung at 011-51511234 or email farrukh@samsungindia.com

OP
A

Aparajith

Broken In
@ enoonmai : Thanx for ur suggestion and ur review too. Will surely try to get the same printer or atleast any other similar printer.

@ Krishna : Maybe u r wrong Krishna. This is the link from the HP website.Check it out : *h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/in_en/10_35_88_1707summary.html

The price in the website is Rs. 9999/-.

Thanx.

Aparajith .S

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
You are welcome. I would recommend that you get it from a local hardware vendor, preferably from Ritchie St., just off the Mount Road Bata showroom, as they will be able to give you competitive prices, compared to getting them straight from Samsung, who wont drop the price a single paisa. :D

OP
A

Aparajith

Broken In
I do know Ritchie street as I get all computer components from there. Any suggestion for a shop as I normally buy it from Supreme or Challenger computers.Any other shops ??

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Hmmm..., there was a thread about hardware shops in chennai and related issues, see this thread:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15941

One of the replies:
klinux said:
Lotus Computers
26 , (old No.14) G1 Narasingapuram Street

28511332 , 52149539

Landmark : Its on the left hand side a few buildings towards the north , if u enter from Bata Showroom end . Its the first shop in the complex , so easy to find out .

Anyways , he gives products for good price , but make sure u know the specifications well , or u might get the wrong parts , eg , 266 ram instead of 333 ram . Bargain to get a good price on high end items

@enoonamai,
Where do u live (area) at chennai?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@drgrudge: I dont live in Chennai. I live in Bangalore. :D I've lived there for a really, really long time, did my entire school and college education there, so I know the place quite well. I lived in Ashok Nagar though. :D

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Yes go for a laser printer if U dont loke printing color pictures as color lasers are much expensive.
A good laser can be bought @8000 from leading brands like HP or cannon.Both are good nd cost /print is much low compared to inkjet.

krishnathelord

In the zone
[quote="Aparajith
@ Krishna : Maybe u r wrong Krishna. This is the link from the HP website.Check it out : *h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/in_en/10_35_88_1707summary.html

The price in the website is Rs. 9999/-.

Aparajith .S[/quote]
hey man what i said to u was the price u would get at any local vendor
and not the co. MRP :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom