Suggest RAM for (i72600k+P8Z68-V PRO)

rajatrao

Broken In
Building new PC for Photoshop work. Gaming too.

Already decided these components-
CPU-Intel Core i7 2600K or i72600 (I won't OC maunally)
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper N620 CPU Cooler
Mobo- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Graphics - Asus 560Ti 1 GB (single card)
Monitor-Keyboard-mouse not required.
OS - Windows 7 64bit

Questions
1. Should I install 8GB or 16 GB? Which one? Latency figures 8-8-8 or 9-9-9 , how much difference does it make?

2. I prefer Corsair. Suggest good RAM. Budget is no problem but it should compliment above setup nicely.

3. Can I install 8GB (2x4GB) kit now and another similar kit later making total 16GB (if needed in future)? Or does it have to be 16 GB (4x4GB) kit right now?

Please help

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
re: Suggest RAM for (i7260k+P8Z68-V PRO)

I think 8GB ram is more than enough even for most demanding apps but if you need to run lots of resource hungry apps simultaneously then opt for 16GB -
Ram modules are very cheap right now.

If you prefer corsair then nothing better than Vengeance.

BTW, here's an important note about vengeance and cpu cooler compatibility :

Important: Now, the compatibility, most coolers have 42mm+ clearance underside, so Gskill rams will fit, but the likes of corsair vengeance will not, if the cooler heatsink clears the ram slot or have fans that can be raised, it can fit vengeance rams, 212+, U12PSE2, N620 falls in this category, D14 does not, D14 goes over ram slot(the heatsink), so you need to buy Gskill RAMs. If you want to know the compatibility of any rams with any cooler, post here, I'll get back to you as fast as I can.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/142397-cpu-cooler-guide-sandy-bridge.html

8-8-8 vs. 9-9-9 won't make any significant performance difference in most apps.

For the cpu stick with core i7 2600k ;-)

OP
R

rajatrao

Broken In

thanks topgear! I wanted to post reply but the website was not opening:(

Which one of these two?

XMS3 — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMX8GX3M2A2000C9)

Vengeance® — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9)

Cilus

laborare est orare

^^ Don't buy any of them. XMS3 is entry level gaming ram and has very limited overclocking and tweaking potential. Also it operates at 1.65V whereas Sandybridge Ram slots operate at 1.5V. There are some reports regarding Compatibility issues.
Vengeance is a very good ram but due to its big size, it creates problem with the installation of aftermarket CPU cooler, making the nearest ram slot to the CPU unusable. In your case, you're going for an aftermarket cooler, so avoid Vengeance.

Get Gskill RipjawX 1600 MHz CL9 8GB kit Gskill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL @ 2.8K

Check it here:
Buy Gskill RAM in India | Gkill RAM Specification | Gaming RAM

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't think Vengeance would create any sort of issue with an after market cooler like Hyper N620 as per tkin's post ( see the quoted part on my previous post ) ;-)

G-Skill rams are also very good and there height is a bit less ( the linked model above ) - so they can fit under almost every after market cooler.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@OP: Whatever RAM you buy for your uses, always buy low profile RAM modules so that you can use all four RAM slots regardless of the CPU cooler you are using.

Top Bottom