suggest mobo for p4 2.66ghz lga 775 processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naxal

Little Kid
CyberKiD said:
Anyways, I'm posting a screenshot of the bios with default settings.

This is more than enough now for anyone with 533 MHz FSB based Processor to see that the DDR-III is capable enough to run @ 533 MHz. Infact as written by topgear, it (DDR-III) will go down to 400 MHz even !!

CyberKiD said:
Also, I do not overclock by tweaking other settings like processor voltages, DRAM/FSB ratios, etc.

DRAM:FSB ratio are needed to be touched only if you are overshooting the maximum stable FSB value. Since your OC is well under that, I dont think one would need to touch that.

but I am surprised to read about the voltage since I think voltage may need to be manually changed if needed otherwise its not in my knowledge that chipset can automatically increase VCore unless its pre-programmed with different BIOS profile

correct me if I am wrong.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
I think there's a confusion over the chipset adjusting voltages. I never meant that. AFAIK, Processor/RAM voltages need to be adjusted automatically for any overclock beyond the rated/supported Multiplier/Frequencies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think there's a confusion over the chipset adjusting voltages. I never meant that. AFAIK, Processor/RAM voltages need to be adjusted automatically for any overclock beyond the rated/supported Multiplier/Frequencies.

if you OC cpu / ram mobo and set the cpu vcore/Dram volt to auto the mobo may or may not find the best possible stable voltage automatically - this only helps in mild Oc but for a real OC it's best to manually tweak settins ;-)

So the lowest FSB possible for DDR-III is 400 MHz ?

In that sense, 533 MHz FSB based processor should not need any touch of any settings as RAMs would be at 533 MHz.

yes and see, CyberKID's screenshot has proved everything ;-)

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
:oops: Sorry about automatically I meant to say that the VCore/RAM voltages are required to be set manually.

Naxal

Little Kid
Well coming to the point of main topic, the FlipKart warranty and return policy of 30 days money back should allow the OP to request for a replacement board.

OP
A

anand20383

Broken In
thank you so much for your support guys. as suggested by "aloo bhai" and "naxal bhai" i have replaced the p4 with pentium dual core E2180 proc and miraculously it started working. i think its the FSB that caused all this trouble. anyways my system is up and running. guys pls tell me what changes do i need to make in bios to get performance from both ram and proc.i have only cpu fan along with the supplied heat sink, so i dont think i can OC the proc. and once im getting the performance i need im planning to buy Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU and sapphire HD6670 1 gb ddr5 graphic card this month. so tell me how the config will be or do i need to change any thing.....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
dumb bios what caused this issue ... anyway, talking about performance upgrade - well for that you need to OC that cpu first and to do that get a cpu cooler like CM Hyper TX3 Evo and a Quality PSu first - see ho much you can get from your cpu - aim for at-least 2.5 Ghz ;-)

Naxal

Little Kid
thank you so much for your support guys. as suggested by "aloo bhai" and "naxal bhai" i have replaced the p4 with pentium dual core E2180 proc and miraculously it started working. i think its the FSB that caused all this trouble. anyways my system is up and running. guys pls tell me what changes do i need to make in bios to get performance from both ram and proc.i have only cpu fan along with the supplied heat sink, so i dont think i can OC the proc. and once im getting the performance i need im planning to buy Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU and sapphire HD6670 1 gb ddr5 graphic card this month. so tell me how the config will be or do i need to change any thing.....

I think FSB of 1333 MHz should be a right target for this 800 MHz CPU. Meaning effecting clock speed (1333/4 x 10) of 3.33 GHz from stock 2.0 GHz (800/4 x 10). Running at 1333 MHz should also allow the DDR-III RAMs to run at their optimal 1333 MHz as well.

Increase voltage (vCore) only if needed and overclock step by step.

E2180 is one of the best over clockable processor ever came to market. So it should over clock with ease to that 1333 FSB mark. In case you find it to hard to run at 1333 MHz mark, then setlle for 1066 MHz FSB. Meaning effective clock speed of (1066/4 x 10) 2.66 Ghz.

Corsair VS4500 @ 2k
Cooler Master 212 Evo @ 2k
ATI HD6670 1GB @ Rs. 5k

OP
A

anand20383

Broken In
one final suggestion guys ... i have already ordered sapphire HD6670 1 gb ddr5 graphic card now im confused abt PSU Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU or Corsair VS450 450 Watts PSU which one should i buy? my config now is ga-g41m-combo MB,corsair 4 gb ddr3 RAM,2 x 80gb sata hdds and 1x 320gb sata hdd,1x lg dvd-rw

nrj5

Right off the assembly line
i too have the same processor : intel p4 2.66GHz 506
motherboard : intel 101GGC
RAM : 256MB DDR1
PC has got slow with time so want to upgrade mobo and ram and leave it as an extra pc for accounts(Tally) use in home
So, please suggest is my idea of upgradation good ?
if yes then which mobo to hunt for..

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Create a new Thread in PC Components / Configurations by filling up the questions presnt in the thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
PC has got slow with time so want to upgrade mobo and ram and leave it as an extra pc for accounts(Tally) use in home

get what CyberKID is using.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
If you're using a modern day PC/laptop simultaneously with the P4 one, you'll feel it seriously slow. I'll suggest IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT. I hope everything is going on fine, and you just need to increase your system RAM a bit. I'll suggest get yourself a 1 GB DDR RAM module and use it with your 256MB RAM. you'll feel quite a difference. And once you feel the need to upgrade, just upgrade it to a modern day machine. There's no point upgrading to a motherboard having an LGA775 socket, which supports intel processors till Core2 Quad if your current motherboard is working fine. Just browse the Bazaar section and you might get a 1GB DDR RAM from someone willing to sell it, if you're okay with buying a used RAM module, else get your hands on a new DDR RAM stick which costs ~1K for a 1GB stick.

dineshgally

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys... as suggested by this thread i have ordered gigabyte-g41m motherboard for my intel pentium p4 2.66 ghz processor with EVM DDR2 2 GB PC RAM 800 MHZ. the system is up and running but i have got some problem in that while playing videos over internet or through any video players the video gets stuck and it doesnt play normally. one more thing i noticed is whenever i try to open my computer it takes hell lot of time and wen i browse through the files in the folder the mouse is kind of reacting weird like it gets hung nd starts moving slowly there is a LAG in all the things. i dono what needs to be done for this.

Please help me out guys in this problem.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ check your HDD for bad sectors and if you are facing any more issue do create a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom