Suggest MoBo, CPU for gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bippukt

In the zone
Hi! I and my cousin just bought GTS 250 and a PSU which I think is decent enough for it. The only way I can use the GTS 250 fully for games is by upgrading my PC, which has the following specs:

-Intel 945GCL
-Intel P4 3.0 GHz (HT enabled)
-1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 RAM
-80 GB and 160 GB SATA HDDs
-XFX GTS 250 512MB (450 W power required)
-19" LCD with 1440*900 resolution
-Cooler Master Extreme 600W (2 12V rails@18A, so it should be able to handle 24A required on 12V)
-Local cabinet
-UPS not required coz of 24 hr power supply :D

Now, to make the PC any good for gaming, I need to upgrade CPU and RAM. I am going for a mobo upgrade as well, because I want a decent Quad core CPU.

Please suggest a decent mobo+Quad Core CPU combo for me so that I will be able to take advantage of the GTS 250. I will also get 4 GB DDR3 RAM and get a better cabinet. My budget for all of the above is somewhere around 16k. Feel free to ask for any more info :)

PS - I strongly prefer Intel over AMD.

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
Also, if possible, please suggest an SLI ready motherboard - I could add another GTS 250 later on if necessary.

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
I don't think you can get Quad core CPU + DDR3 + compatible mobo inside 16k.

What if I settled for 4GB DDR2 1067 instead? If even that's not possible, please exclude RAM and suggest for motherboard and CPU. I will find separate funding for RAM :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
My suggestion is wait for sometime b4 investing too much. After a short while, Core I7 based systems will become mainstream. For the time being, upgrade your Ram. Go for a Kingston 2 GB 667 MHz module for 1k.

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
Well, I have decided to give up my GTS 250. Along with the PSU, it is now installed in my cousin's system - he needs it right now as he has 45 days free before he begins his job. He is happy to have it and I am happy to get rid of it :)

The biggest reason why I bought GTS 250 instead of HD 4870/4850 was that I just couldn't find the ATI cards. Plus, I don't think I needed a 4870 because my display has a resolution of only 1440X900, for which a GTS 250 should be sufficient.

In the next month or so, I will set out to upgrade my whole system, including the cabinet, PSU, motherboard, processor, RAM and of course, the graphics card. Perhaps a 4890 will become affordable to me by then.

Thanks to those huys who took the time to help me out. Your suggestions will be needed again when I upgrade my PC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom