Status
Not open for further replies.

sachin46

Broken In
Hello Friends,

I want to buy 17” LCD Moniter with DVI Input, I have following models in mind

View Sonic VP720b @ 12,600/- at Lamington Road

Samsung SyncMaster 740B @ ?

Which is good one? Is there any other good model?

I have not used any 17” LCD monitor b4, Is there any disadvantage of 5:4 aspect, as I am only familiar with regular 4:3 CRT aspect

Please share your experience if any one has used this b4.

I Have mobo ASUS with GeForce 6150 onboard graphics & DVI output

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
The Viewsonic VP720b is far better than other LCD's. I have one and I can vouch for it. It uses a 8-bit panel as opposed to 6-bits used by most other LCD's. At 12.6k, it may be a 1000 bucks more than other 17" LCD's, but it's worth it. You won't have any problems with the 5:4 aspect ratio.

OP
S

sachin46

Broken In
drvarunmehta said:
The Viewsonic VP720b is far better than other LCD's. I have one and I can vouch for it. It uses a 8-bit panel as opposed to 6-bits used by most other LCD's. At 12.6k, it may be a 1000 bucks more than other 17" LCD's, but it's worth it. You won't have any problems with the 5:4 aspect ratio.

I am also thinking to finalize on Viewsonic VP720b, but I don’t have taste of any LCD, therefore it is beter to have some feedback b4 investing.

Can you pl. tell me more on following points?

- What happen when you change the resolution from native, like in gaming…… as I don’t have separate graphics card (which you have), therefore I have to run the games in low resolution like 800×600 from native 1280x1024. then how the quality differs ?

- Is these LCDs are really reducing the eyestrain, when we spend more time on PC?

- Is there are any 17" LCDs available, which gives 4:3 aspect ratio?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
- What happen when you change the resolution from native, like in gaming…… as I don’t have separate graphics card (which you have), therefore I have to run the games in low resolution like 800×600 from native 1280x1024. then how the quality differs ?
I ran some games at 800x600 and they still looked good.

- Is these LCDs are really reducing the eyestrain, when we spend more time on PC?
Yes they are.

- Is there are any 17" LCDs available, which gives 4:3 aspect ratio?
Afraid not. All 17" LCD's have a native resolution of 1280x1024 (5:4). But you certainly won't encounter any problems running at this resolution as even onboard graphics support this comfortably.

Ch@0s

In the zone
drvarunmehta said:

720b/920b displays are *NOT* 8bit... they use 6bit TN panels. 730b/930b had 8bit P-MVA but they are unfortunately not available in India. 720b is as bad as any other display in terms of color. It might be better in terms of sharpness as it doesn't have its Overdrive circuits driven as aggressively as the samsungs. The cheapest 8bit panel is the Viewsonic VX2025WM for around 22k. If you are ready to spend around 15.5K, then get the Viewsonic VA1912W 19" widescreen. TN panel again but atleast you get widescreen.

Here's the link:

*prad.de/en/guide/screen3061.html

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Maybe I was mistaken. I got the info from newegg.com which isn't always reliable.
Anyways the true 8 bit panels are quite a bit more expensive and not worth it unless you use them for Photoshop or other applications where colour reproduction needs to be perfect.
If you have to choose between the Samsung 740B and Viewsonic VP720b, get the Viewsonic.

Ch@0s

In the zone
drvarunmehta said:
Maybe I was mistaken. I got the info from newegg.com which isn't always reliable.
Anyways the true 8 bit panels are quite a bit more expensive and not worth it unless you use them for Photoshop or other applications where colour reproduction needs to be perfect.
If you have to choose between the Samsung 740B and Viewsonic VP720b, get the Viewsonic.

Yup... The 730b was available initially for around 20k but I guess they stopped it cos of lack of demand in india. Out of those two, the viewsonic is a better deal easily though I'd instead look at widescreen options. 8bit panels are not necessarily for just photoshop. Even for mundane everyday tasks, movies, gaming, an 8bit panel makes a substantial difference in image quality... Things just look fantastic on my S-IPS panel 2005 compared to my Dell XPS laptop display which is TN.

OP
S

sachin46

Broken In
drvarunmehta said:
I ran some games at 800x600 and they still looked good.

Yes they are.

Afraid not. All 17" LCD's have a native resolution of 1280x1024 (5:4). But you certainly won't encounter any problems running at this resolution as even onboard graphics support this comfortably.

Now I think I should go for Viewsonic VP720b, as it is in my budget also, a week before pries is 13.5K- & now 12.6K great!!!!!

Also Now you have cleared my most of the doubts, bcoz I herd from some one that LCDs are look bad @ other than there native resolution, also I have onboard graphics therefore I am is some doubt……to take 17” CRT or 17” LCD

Mainly I work on software’s but some time like to play Game & watch movies.

Pl. tell me one more thing, is this monitor have pivoting function to switch to Portrait mode for working vertically…..
Yup... The 730b was available initially for around 20k but I guess they stopped it cos of lack of demand in india. Out of those two, the viewsonic is a better deal easily though I'd instead look at widescreen options. 8bit panels are not necessarily for just photoshop. Even for mundane everyday tasks, movies, gaming, an 8bit panel makes a substantial difference in image quality... Things just look fantastic on my S-IPS panel 2005 compared to my Dell XPS laptop display which is TN.

widescreen or VX series are currently not in my budget………. but I will try to get 8 bit rather than above 6 bit by extending my budget , ……….. Lets seeeeeee.

but now ...... is this Viewsonic VP720b is best buy @ 12.6k ???

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Pl. tell me one more thing, is this monitor have pivoting function to switch to Portrait mode for working vertically…..
Yes it does.
but now ...... is this Viewsonic VP720b is best buy @ 12.6k ???
Yes. Other monitors in this price range are general purpose ones. The VP720b is from the Viewsonic Professional series, so you can expect it to be better than regular Samsung, LG, Acer monitors.

OP
S

sachin46

Broken In
drvarunmehta said:
Yes it does.

Yes. Other monitors in this price range are general purpose ones. The VP720b is from the Viewsonic Professional series, so you can expect it to be better than regular Samsung, LG, Acer monitors.

Thanks for the Info & your useful comments,

Finally I am going for Viewsonic VP720b

goobimama

 Macboy
Seriously? Speakers? On the LCD? I'm yet to find some decent speakers built into the monitor, otherwise, they are mostly a waste of space (the monitor could have been slimmer).

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Re: Suggest Good 17” LCD Moniter with DVI Input

sachin46 said:
Thanks for the Info & your useful comments,

Finally I am going for Viewsonic VP720b

do let us know ur experience with it ...

A

AmbarD

hey guys
im not making new thread but asking the same question
mesa want monitor 17"lcd for max 13k
i can only buy online from itdepot etc etc
plz suggest some good monitor
thnaks guys

remember im gonna buy online

Last edited by a moderator:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Why do you only want to buy online? It just limits your choices.
If you must buy online then tell us which models are available online so we can choose the best one.

A

AmbarD

drvarunmehta said:
tell us which models are available online so we can choose the best one.

errrrrr......
i thought i asked you guys the question
also i need to buy online as im in GURGAON and there are no good places where i can buy from

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Go to New Delhi to buy it. You are making an investment of Rs. 13,000, the least you can do is travel a bit and make sure you get your money's worth.
Go to Nehru Place and buy the same LCD sachin46 is buying, Viewsonic VP720b.

A

AmbarD

drvarunmehta said:
Go to New Delhi to buy it. You are making an investment of Rs. 13,000, the least you can do is travel a bit and make sure you get your money's worth.
Go to Nehru Place and buy the same LCD sachin46 is buying, Viewsonic VP720b.

what about Dell 1707FP 17" UltraSharp LCD
heres the link
*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/17lcd_in?c=in&l=en&s=bsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom