suggest gaming rig for 30-35k urgently plz!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandar5

Youngling
hi guys i am upgrading my 5yr old system for new one for gaming and image/video editing with adobe cs4!Plz suggest good rig intel based only.i dont need monitor because my 17'' lg e700sh is in good condition so is my cabinet..Thanks in advanse..

Cilus

laborare est orare
At this budget AMD will better for you. In the middle level segment AMD offeres unmatched performance for the money.

Processor: Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz @ 5.2k (Quad core, 2 MB L2 cache)
Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E51 @ 4.6k (AMD 785G chipset, AM3, DDR3 ram support)
Ram: Transcend 2GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM @ 2.6k
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB @ 2.5k
Monitor: BenQ G900WD 19" LCD Monitor @ 6.2k
Graphics card: Sapphire HD4870 1GB GDDR5 @ 10k (can also wait 4 Dx 1 card price to be reduced)
PSU: Cooler Master 500W ExP @ 2.9k
Cabinet: Zebronics Krish @ 1k
key/Mouse: any thing @ 0.4k

Total 35.4k. There is a high chance the street price will be lower for most of the components I've mentioned. So the total price will be almost 0.8 to 1k less the estimated.

But my suggestion is wait sometimes before getting The Graphics card. Then you can get the DirectX 11 cards in a reduced price.

OP
M

mandar5

Youngling
thanks for info buddy but i prefer intel based rig only.is there huge difference in quad core and i5 processor?

Cilus

laborare est orare
The performance difference is big in Quad core and Core i5 processors. Core i7/i5 are completely based on new architecture compared to the Intel Core2Quad processors. In fact they are the 1st batch of true quad core processors (Core2Quad is nothing but 2 separate C2D processors are packed in a single chip). With their fast integrated memory controller (which eliminates the need for FSB) Core processors can have a huge memory band width compared to the Core2Quad processors.

For Intel based system, your budget is too low to have a quad core processor. The cheapest Quad core from Intel is Q8200/8400 with a price tag of 8.4k. Alone the Core i5 processor will cost u around 10k and the cheapest M/B will be Intel DP55WB P55 @ 6.3k.

Now Athlon II X4 is better than Q8200 in all aspect. All the test sites like Guru3d, AnandTeh, TechEnclave have their review in favor of Athlon II X4.

So be open minded to AMD. In High end segment Intel is still untouchable. But in middle and lower middle end segment AMD is very hard to bit.

OP
M

mandar5

Youngling
THANKS again buddy.i can afford 30-35k for rig eliminating need for monitor which would save 10k also 1k will be saved on keyboard n mouse.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
MY dealer says i5+mobo combo is available@18k.i think its worth it.
Posted again:

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
The performance difference is big in Quad core and Core i5 processors. Core i7/i5 are completely based on new architecture compared to the Intel Core2Quad processors. In fact they are the 1st batch of true quad core processors (Core2Quad is nothing but 2 separate C2D processors are packed in a single chip). With their fast integrated memory controller (which eliminates the need for FSB) Core processors can have a huge memory band width compared to the Core2Quad processors.

For Intel based system, your budget is too low to have a quad core processor. The cheapest Quad core from Intel is Q8200/8400 with a price tag of 8.4k. Alone the Core i5 processor will cost u around 10k and the cheapest M/B will be Intel DP55WB P55 @ 6.3k.

Now Athlon II X4 is better than Q8200 in all aspect. All the test sites like Guru3d, AnandTeh, TechEnclave have their review in favor of Athlon II X4.

So be open minded to AMD. In High end segment Intel is still untouchable. But in middle and lower middle end segment AMD is very hard to bit.

There is no earth-shattering difference between the i5 and Quad processors. Yes, the i5 docks directly with the CPU for memory and GPU 16x lanes. But in gaming scenarios it is not that much of a difference.

THANKS again buddy.i can afford 30-35k for rig eliminating need for monitor which would save 10k also 1k will be saved on keyboard n mouse.
Posted again:
Posted again:

What all is the dealer offering you in 18K...? Which motherboard and CPU..?

Cilus

laborare est orare
There is no earth-shattering difference between the i5 and Quad processors. Yes, the i5 docks directly with the CPU for memory and GPU 16x lanes. But in gaming scenarios it is not that much of a difference

It is not true brother. The Core i5 series CPU is also having their PCI Express Controller (X16) lane inside the processor die.Which means they communicate directly with the Graphics card without the need of motherboard North Bridge. In single GPU gaming performance they can even match the performance of mighty Core i7 processors. The only quad core processor comes near to them is Core2Quad Extreme Q9650, which costs a fortune (almost 35k).

And mandra5, here goes your Corei5 configuration

Core i5 i750 2.66GHz @ 10.5k
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 @ 7.7k

So the total price will be around 18k. Street prce may be little lower. Don't go for the Intel DP55WB P55 @ 6.3k. It is not good for advance users. Overclocking and other tweaking features are really low in this board. Gigabyte board is far better.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
It is not true brother. The Core i5 series CPU is also having their PCI Express Controller (X16) lane inside the processor die.Which means they communicate directly with the Graphics card without the need of motherboard North Bridge. In single GPU gaming performance they can even match the performance of mighty Core i7 processors. The only quad core processor comes near to them is Core2Quad Extreme Q9650, which costs a fortune (almost 35k).

And mandra5, here goes your Corei5 configuration

Core i5 i750 2.66GHz @ 10.5k
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 @ 7.7k

So the total price will be around 18k. Street prce may be little lower. Don't go for the Intel DP55WB P55 @ 6.3k. It is not good for advance users. Overclocking and other tweaking features are really low in this board. Gigabyte board is far better.

I know the hardware architecture my friend...

Yes, the i5 goes away with the NB bottle neck. But again, I have seen a lot of game reviews. The i5 is not 'way' ahead of the Quad 9550 (not extreme). And it does not beat the i7 950. Do remember the i7 has HT and the i5 does not employ that. Also the i5 CPUs have lower cache then the Quads. It is still highly debatable and contestable of which is better i5 or Quad. But I feel the i7 pulls ahead, it is the latest architecture.

The most difference between i5 and Quads would be a few FPS, and this also depends on the game and GPU installed.

But you have mentioned a good price for the OP. He is getting new tech for a cheaper price. The Quad+P55 system would cost him more, with the Quad still being ~12K.

I always suggest the following:

1. New Build: Mid Budget --- i5.
2. New Build: High Budget --- i7.
3. Upgrade a LGA775 -- go for Quad.

Note:
Just speaking in context to Intel. Please ATI guys do not take offense.

(1) and (3) will give almost similar performance, with i5s a shade ahead. Some benchmark number can be seen here.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
I checked some review also. 1st of all, in most of the reviews, Q9550 is not even taken under consideration. Q9650 is there. May be in game the frame rate difference is in single digit, but computer is not just for playing games, it is for other job also.

The performance of Core i5 is similar to that of Q9770, priced at 50k. in other CPU tests like 3D rendering, Cinebench, Blender, Adobe Photoshop CS4, Divx, X264, VC1 video encoding, it is way way ahead of any quad cores. In Cinebench , Provray and Sysmark 2007 benchmark, i5 750 even beats the i7 920.

And I didn't say that i5 is better than i7.

Actually in any memory intensive work, any Quad core can match the i5 processors because of the huge memory bandwidth of new core architecture. Although i5 has dual channel memory controller compared to the triple channel of i7, it is even faster than the memory controller of i7.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I checked some review also. 1st of all, in most of the reviews, Q9550 is not even taken under consideration. Q9650 is there. May be in game the frame rate difference is in single digit, but computer is not just for playing games, it is for other job also.

The performance of Core i5 is similar to that of Q9770, priced at 50k. in other CPU tests like 3D rendering, Cinebench, Blender, Adobe Photoshop CS4, Divx, X264, VC1 video encoding, it is way way ahead of any quad cores. In Cinebench , Provray and Sysmark 2007 benchmark, i5 750 even beats the i7 920.

And I didn't say that i5 is better than i7.

Actually in any memory intensive work, any Quad core can match the i5 processors because of the huge memory bandwidth of new core architecture. Although i5 has dual channel memory controller compared to the triple channel of i7, it is even faster than the memory controller of i7.

Okay ...here is a link. You really think it is WAY ahead..? It shows a head on Q9550s vs the i5. Yes, the i5 is beating the q9550, but not WAY ahead. And as I mentioned in my post, the i5 is a great buy for the new mid level budget person. But we cannot tell them IT IS WAY AHEAD OF A QUAD CORE. For example in the link look at the 1st Sisandra Soft test i5 beats the Quad9550, but in the subsequent one the Quad is ahead...!

In most of the test, the i5 is ahead, but as I mentioned, it is a bit more. You can also see the i7 comparison to i5.

OP
M

mandar5

Youngling
THANKS CILUS for info! i am opting for core i5 over quadcore only to get 'futureproof'!i am busy this week will go 2 lamington road next thursday only.
Posted again:
ALSO pls let me know is 4gb ddr3 ram necessary for cs4 or 2gb is enough?i am going for corsair!

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
THANKS CILUS for info! i am opting for core i5 over quadcore only to get 'futureproof'!i am busy this week will go 2 lamington road next thursday only.
Posted again:
ALSO pls let me know is 4gb ddr3 ram necessary for cs4 or 2gb is enough?i am going for corsair!

Hey no thanks to me....! Told you so much about i5 via my arguement. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

RAM:
The more the merrier. Since you are going for i5 which has dual channel RAM populate the slots in multiples of 2. 2 sticks (alternate), or 4 sticks straight fill. Get 2 x 2GB sticks....good option, to get dual channel. All 4 slots filled with RAM, at times gives issue for OC.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
For a 17 inch monitor a 9600GT would be more than enough. But the thing is i5 would stretch your budget of 35k. Going for 1666MHz DDR3 is good. Below that there's nothing much difference in performance than DDR2, plus lower latency RAM's are expensive!

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
thanks for info buddy but i prefer intel based rig only.is there huge difference in quad core and i5 processor?
if u want i5 for ur budget..u'll have to forgo quality components and buy the cheapest of everything else.

make ur choice..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom