Suggest a linux distro

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 26636

What is the best linux distro for a complete beginner, one who has never touched linux in his life.the distro should be able to teach a newbie how to use the OS well.
Thank you.

OP
D

Deleted member 26636

Thank you.should have posted in open source. Sorry. Is fedora not newbie friendly.

fedora is OK for linux newbies, but not for OS-newbies. too much bleeding edge stuff and too many customisability options.

I suggest you use Mandriva One Gnome 2009.0 and migrate to Fedora next year.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
I am myself a beginner [although installing and removing linux from 2000 ;)]...I had installed Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex and its very good for beginners ..Just dload its iso,burn it and install ..NJOY !

and dont install Mandriva...Ubuntu is much more good in recognizing sound drivers and video drivers

The problem with Ubuntu is that its increasingly becoming unstable.

Mandriva on the other hand, is quite easy to use as well as sufficiently stable if you use the gnome edition. Since its RPM based, you will find it easier to later migrate to Fedora, which is a newbie-geek OS (due to the lack of better words to describe it).

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Ubuntu - Test it and then trash it if you don't like it.

Atleast stable on my system :p

demoninside

In the zone
ye Ubuntu 8.04 is running on my system from around 6 months i guess, i installed it the day it was released.

Till date i haven't found any problem, or stability issue, tho they always make updates soon.

Rahim

Married!
openSUSE 11 or Mandriva 2009 would be good but why something so sluggish of a distro that is Ubuntu?

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
If you are thinking of using Ubuntu, why not simply go for Linux Mint. It is based on Ubuntu but you won't have to go through many customary hassles if you simply Install Mint. It is one of those distribution which is made for newbies like you. And you can always try the Live CD and then decide which one you would like to install.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 26636

Thanx for the suggestions. But,the opinions are so varied.opensuse,ubuntu,mandriva-i'm confused. What i want basically is a windows xp like easy to use os..i want to learn the basics-the directory structure,installing simple apps, playing audio & video, just the average stuff.after i'm comfortable with that i'll proceed.

Rahim

Married!
All the three are easy and user-freindly. Its just that Ubuntu is so famous but is a little sluggish on performance. Go ahead and install Mandriva or openSUSE. Beleive me there would be other distros mentioned if you not select one from these three!! Jaldi se mind bana bhai :))

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^^Rofl.. Never ever install kubuntu :p you will regret it.. If you want KDE go for SUSE or Mandriva or F10.. else for gnome Ubuntu or Mandriva would be better option..

Out of the box less hassel distro : Mandriva 2009.0 Gnome

If you can configure stuff SUSE , F10 , Ubuntu is fine for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom