suggest a graphics card for 15k to 18k

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@ harsh
avdhut dint misread ... u misread it. and i dont have the latest pricing of the 6800 ultra / gt cards but ill get it n post it soon.

supersaiyan

In the zone
guys right now the x800gto2 is the best in the price range. forget the sm3.0 and all that jazz. the cards which are below 6600ultra aren't able to handle the fps when these features are turned on. the 6800gt and above are the only ones that can handle it. plus there aren't many games which have sm3.0. newayz do ne of u guys know a sapphire dealer in delhi. btw mediatech is a connect 3d dealer.

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
avi_avadhut said:
Strange - something addition in my knowledge - moded x800fto2 to 850xt is faster than 6800ultra????????

dude no way that even pure 850XT can be faster than 6800ultra....
Wow, something added to my knowledge as well! :lol:
As per *single* cards, the X850XT is down and out faster than the 6800Ultra in most games except Doom3 ! Its only in SLI that the 6800 Ultra had the upper hand. Needless to say, with Crossfire available now, Ati has again got the upper hand.

Here's an article to read: *www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njk3LDEx
I'm quoting from the article: "Make no bones about it, the X850XT-PE can easily best the NVIDIA 6800Ultra in many of today’s latest 3D gaming titles"

mohit said:
guys why the hell is the x800xl more expensive than the x800gto2 then ??? and does x800gto 2 support cross fire ?? and who stocks the x800gto2 in india ?? i doubt sapphire is available anywhere ..
Because the x800XL has 16 pixel pipelines by default. Whereas the X800GTO2 has 12 pixel pipelines, the remaining 4 need to be unlocked. Its similar to knowing an A64 3000+ can run as a 3200+ , but still selling it as a 3000+ and pricing it the same.
And according to ATi , all X800 / X850 cards support CrossFire

geekysage

Journeyman
avi_avadhut said:
Strange - something addition in my knowledge - moded x800fto2 to 850xt is faster than 6800ultra????????

dude no way that even pure 850XT can be faster than 6800ultra....
*www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njk3LDEx

...read the bottomline.
also, this head to head comparison: *www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/r480-tr.html

hope that clears it up.

@harsh: *search.ebay.in//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=6800+ultra
and next time, try www.ebay.in before you ask in a forum, will save you a lot of time. :)

Peace.

edit: oops, missed crazy eddy's link...anyway, it's always good to have another testimony :wink:

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@geekysage
try getting a device's price from it's disributor personally and then compare that price with that of www.ebay.in then you will see why i posted my query in the forum.

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@techHead
no idea pal!! i'm not very much interested in X800GTO2, rather i don't thing getting it would be easy here.

now i'm in a different dilemma !! to buy a 'BIG' 6800gt card or a 'leadtek'? :?
(are 'BIG' cards any good? any users??? please share your experiences...)

furthermore in a post by 'mohit' in the hardware prices sticky he posted the price fo BIG 7800gt as 22500 + TAXES.. as i've extended my budget a little now i've to make a choice between a BIG 7800GT or a leadek 6800ultra :?
PLEASE HELP !!!

P.S.- anyone has latest prices of leadtek graphics cards please post them in the sticky or mail them to me at harshbajpai@msn.com

OP
G

gxsaurav

the chip is same, it's only the brand name & software bundle which makes then different

man, if U can get a 7800GT, PCI-E then go for it, it's the bliss, even supports OpenGL 2.0, & is recomended for UT2007 like games, which are 2 years away, this card will work for a long time

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@gx
the only reason i'm spending so much money is that it will be more futureproof than other mid range cards like 6600GT, X800XL etc.
including taxes the BIG 7800GT will cost around 24.5k and the leadtek is 27k including all taxes and since i feel more comfortable buying leadtek i'm going for the leadtek WinFast PX7800 GT TDH MyVIVO Extreme.
(check it out on www.leadtek.com/graphic.html )
man; i can't wait.. :D

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
i agree with the other guys,the leadtek 7800gt is a futureproof investment & a screamer in the performance department.

OP
G

gxsaurav

cool, another 7 series user among us, worry not it won't be a bad desicion, & don't forget to add a good power supply

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@Gx
that was another concern as i currently have a SMPS of
iBall (400 watts). i'll use it and if proves insufficient i'll buy a better one but i will try my luck with i first. it's better than spending 3-4k just on the possibility that it might not work.

OP
G

gxsaurav

hmm, where r u from, the Powersafe 500W SMPS might be available there, if not then order one, thats the best one i can recomend, another option is colorsit M400U model,with 2 fans

AcceleratorX

Youngling
OK I'll clear up some confusion.

ATI recently launched the X800GT series, and to counter that, NVIDIA launched the GeForce 6800XT (Google it).

As far as raw performance goes, no - a GeForce 6600GT can spank the 6800LE, but not the 6800NU, because 6800NU has 12 pixel pipelines whereas 6600GT has 8.

Also, A nice little google search on SM 3.0 will reveal a lot of things.

SM 3.0 increases performance on GeForce 6 and GeForce 7 (even then, SM 2.0a seems better for GeForce 6. Either case, SM 3.0 and 2.0a have good speed boosts over vanilla 2.0).

On the other hand, ATI's X800 has SM 2.0b, which also increases performance, but ATI's OpenGL drivers still have a lot of work to be done.

So, as of right now, the better choice would be NVIDIA IMO, but ATI is not far behind. But in OpenGL, ATI really needs to improve!

In the grand scheme of shader models:

1)Register Combiners - Preliminary per-pixel lighting and bump mapping. This was supported on GeForce1, GeForce2 and GeForce4 MX

2)SM 1.0 (first shader model, never made it to DX8). This was a feature of the first Radeon, but since DX8 did not use this model, these features ended up unusable for the most part.

3)SM 1.1 (DirectX 8.0 specification) - Used in GeForce3

4)SM 1.3 (DirectX 8.1) - GeForce4 Ti

5)SM 1.4 (DirectX 8.1) - Radeon 8500+

6)SM 2.0 (DirectX 9) - Radeon 9700

7)SM 2.0b (DirectX 9.0c) - Radeon X800. This SM was created to support the new features in the Pixel Shader of the X800.

8)SM 2.0a (DirectX 9.0b) - GeForce FX. This Shader model was created to help the FX cards perform better in DX9 games. Using SM 2.0a instead of plain 2.0 can provide a minimum performance increase of 20%.

9)SM 3.0 (DX 9.0c) - GeForce 6800. No comments ;)

Ringwraith

Journeyman
so much for clearing the confusion :p
inconsistencies in the above post:
i) the new card is 6800GS ( not 6800XT)
ii) 6600GT performs at par wtih 6800NU in *pure speed* modes, in eye candy modes however 6800NU does take a lead.
iii) the new catalyst drivers increase openGL performance around 20% for the latest ATI cards, bringing in on par with nV hardware (almost!)

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Well, yeah I heard about the new ATI drivers......and they're good - but the real reason the GeForce cards have the lead in OpenGL is because OpenGL developers use NVIDIA-specific extensions wherever possible, while ATI has not so many extensions as NVIDIA does in OpenGL (this means NVIDIA may still maintain a slight lead in OpenGL for a long time).

DirectX is a different thing, where both companies are on par with each other......

About 6800XT, my mistake. Seems XT is only an OEM card and not for retail.

I guess the main reason why 6600GT performs equal to 6800NU at pure speed modes is the clock speed???

Ringwraith

Journeyman
peak fill rate (6600GT) 8*500 = 4000 > 12 * 325 = 3900 (6800NU)
the main problem with 6600GT is the memory bandwidth available ( FSAA needs large memory bandwidths)
In AA/AF modes, the 128 bit memory bus of the 6600GT severely affects performance, the 256 bit bus of the 6800NU helps it here, if somehow nV cud run the memory of the 6600GT@ 1400 mhz, it would perform similar to the 700mhz 6800NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom