suggest a graphics card for 15k to 18k

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harsh bajpai

please suggest a PCIe graphics card for 15k, at the most 18k.

my system config is

Intel pentium4 3 Ghz (LGA 775)
Intel 915 GAV board.
512 mb RAM
400watt SMPS
Seagate 80GB SATA
lg 17" flat CRT monitor

satanlives

Journeyman
id say got for the x800gt0 wich is for around 12k something and it can be modded to x850..so thts an awesme card..... or the x800xl or something can be in that range

OP
G

gxsaurav

Since your budget is 15K, I would suggest that stay away from ATI X800 series & get a GeForce 6800 non ultra with 256 MB RAM, NV41 core based, this is the best & coolest temprature gfx card available in that budget range, also U will get Purevideo

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
^^HUh ? ! Gx are you suggesting a crappy 6800NU over a x800 gto2 ? Do you know the x800gto2 uses r480 core and can be easily turned into a x850xt with all 16 working pipelines and way faster than a 6800NU. Plus the price is under 15k afaik. And yeah all sapphire x800gto2 are 110% moddable to x850xt. :)

godzi_85

In the zone
is the 915 an agp board?
if yes then i think you can go for the 6800gt too. last i had heard was it was priced for around 18k! .. leadtek was the brand if i remember correctly..

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@satanlives
thanx for your suggestion.

@gxsaurav
ok, how much does the geforce 6800ultra would cost ?
and how much is the non ultra?

@blade_runner
is the x800gto 2 better than 6800 ultra also?

OP
G

gxsaurav

blade

The 6800nU is only 10 to 15% slower then X800 GTO, which is not widely available here in India, but U R forgetting that 6800nU supports Shader Model 3.0 while X800 doesn't, beat that

last I found, Gigabyte 6800non ultra with 128 MB RAM was Rs 17k, a few onths ago, but i won't recomend this gigabyte card as it comes with a Heatpipe based passive cooling which without a proper cabinet will become really hot

insted I prefer a MSI 6800nU, however i don't know it's cost

& for more info, games which support SM 3.0

Far Cry
Battle field 2
CoD 2
Doom 3
Quake 4
Half life 2 & Lost coast
Splinter cell: chaos theory
F.E.A.R

and every upcoming game out there,so I don't think buying a ATI X800 GTO is a good choice anymore

I'm not sure if a X800GT is available for <18,ooo INR. Couple of months back I saw a X800XL 256Mb on eBay India within that price bracket.

Keith

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
gxsaurav said:
blade

The 6800nU is only 10 to 15% slower then X800 GTO, which is not widely available here in India, but U R forgetting that 6800nU supports Shader Model 3.0 while X800 doesn't, beat that

last I found, Gigabyte 6800non ultra with 128 MB RAM was Rs 17k, a few onths ago, but i won't recomend this gigabyte card as it comes with a Heatpipe based passive cooling which without a proper cabinet will become really hot

insted I prefer a MSI 6800nU, however i don't know it's cost

& for more info, games which support SM 3.0

Far Cry
Battle field 2
CoD 2
Doom 3
Quake 4
Half life 2 & Lost coast
Splinter cell: chaos theory
F.E.A.R

and every upcoming game out there,so I don't think buying a ATI X800 GTO is a good choice anymore
SM 3.0 my ass ! All games will have a fallback path to do things in sm 2.0 or sm 1.1 and sm 2.0b as well. Only a small percentage of the population would be really having cards that can *really* do sm 3.0 without sweating. I thought u would be well aware that SM 3.0 wasnt really useable in the 6 series cards and since 7 series cards are way out of his budget and he needs a card right now the x800gto2 is the best deal right now imho. :D So sm 3.0 on 6 series hardware is really a moot point, though i full idea you would resort to that to support you advice :p. Also Gx really when you are getting a card like x850xt why would any really bother abt unusable feature on a card that is nearly half as slow. Think about it.

btw sm 3.0 is a subset of directx api as i know not opengl, pray why have you listed quake 4 and doom 3 there ? Also half life 2 doesn't support sm 3.0 only 2.0b.

@harish: After modding the x800gto2, its faster than the 6800U in most games. Btw this is limited Sapphire only part and is selling like hot cakes all over the world. So you might want to check up on availability with mediatech and sapphire.

@Keith: We are talking abt the x800gto2 ;), the x800gt is/was available for 13k not so long back. x800gt is a direct competition to the 6600GT.

OP
G

gxsaurav

who told u HL2 doesn't support SM3.0

Well, i would like to ask anyone here

a gfx card which supports SM3.0 & gives 90% perormance, or GFX card which supports 100% performance but SM2.0

keep in mind, SM2.0 is old now, all the new games support SM3.0 one way or other

also, the ATI X800GTO is hard to find, but 6800nu gfx cards from XFX, ASUS, MSI are easy to find

well, i gave u my recomendation, U can also cgeck everywhere on the net, or even ask on anandtech or neowin, what do they suggest

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
gxsaurav said:
who told u HL2 doesn't support SM3.0

Well, i would like to ask anyone here

a gfx card which supports SM3.0 & gives 90% perormance, or GFX card which supports 100% performance but SM2.0

keep in mind, SM2.0 is old now, all the new games support SM3.0 one way or other

also, the ATI X800GTO is hard to find, but 6800nu gfx cards from XFX, ASUS, MSI are easy to find

well, i gave u my recomendation, U can also cgeck everywhere on the net, or even ask on anandtech or neowin, what do they suggest
Umm please read up on the Hl2 renderer cause sm 2.0 is what it supports.
And your analogy isnt quite right ! 6800NU is like half the performance of the x850xt. Sheesh i thought you would know that atleast.

As for the hl2 argument, chk this wiki from valve
*developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Engine_Features

I doubt anyone would suggest a 6800NU over a x850xt ;)

funkymonkey

Journeyman
well exactly.
In most cases even 6600GT will spank 6800NU.
the 6800NU PCI express is the worst choice if you are planning to buy the PCI express card. Rather you get 6600GT. It sounds strange but in many cases it will perform better than 6800NU. And remeber PCI express 6800NU cannot be softmoded to unlock pipes.
But X800GTO2 from sapphire is cracker. X800GTO2 is faster even without any modding compared to 6800NU.
6800NU simply does not have horsepower to call it future proof or powerful card. Its not.
Even in SM3.0 games you will find X800GTO2 faster than 6800NU in most cases and after unlocking it it will leave 6800NU or any other card in that price range to dust.
Iorny of nvidia cards in india is that there is no card in 15-18K range when it comes to PCI express bus.
If you cant find Sapphire X800GTO2 then the best choice will be X800XL.

geekysage

Journeyman
@blade_runner: completely agree w/ your points about x800gto2.

@gxsaurav: buddy, you do have some points but you have a lot of catching up to do. sapphire x800gto2 can really be unlocked to a 16 pipelines x850xt and geforce 6600gt/6800ultra don't stand a chance when put against it!

Aight, here is the link if anybody still has doubts about this issue. *www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/127/1

Now, gxsaurav does have a point when he talks about x800gto/gto2 availability. I was gonna buy a sapphire x800gto2 myself but they simply disappeared from the US market in about a week after their launch. Some online merchants who do have them, are selling them for an exorbitant price soon after the news about the cards getting unlocked to a x850xt spread over the internet. The card was initially being sold for around $215 but now you ain't gonna get it for anything less than $260 making it outta my budget. Anyway, Connect3D x800gto cards are also successfully getting unlocked to 16 pipelines and even though they have the r420/423 core, they are performing pretty close to x800gto2. When you put the price in picture, connect3d x800gto are the best bang for the buck. I got mine for $187. Anyway, what i am trying to say is that if the availability is so messed up here, i don't even wanna think about its availability/price in India.

asdf1223

Journeyman
the x800gto2 while defenitely beating the 6800nu is not available here.only the 12 pipeline x800gto is available for around 14k.an x800xl and 6800gt should be available around the 18-20k price band depending on brand.happy hunting.

OP
H

harsh bajpai

thanx for all your time guys but could anyone please tell me the price for 6800ultra.

avi_avadhut

Broken In
@gxsaurav: buddy, you do have some points but you have a lot of catching up to do. sapphire x800gto2 can really be unlocked to a 16 pipelines x850xt and geforce 6600gt/6800ultra don't stand a chance when put against it!

Strange - something addition in my knowledge - moded x800fto2 to 850xt is faster than 6800ultra????????

dude no way that even pure 850XT can be faster than 6800ultra....

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@avi_avdhut
i think you've misread, the ati card is said to have better performance than 6800 nu(non ultra...)

once again can anyone tell me tha present preci of 6800ultra card?

mohit

The Hardware Labs
guys why the hell is the x800xl more expensive than the x800gto2 then ??? and does x800gto 2 support cross fire ?? and who stocks the x800gto2 in india ?? i doubt sapphire is available anywhere ..

@harsh bajpai
go for the x800gto2 sapphire if available in india else look for a 6800 gt.

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@mohit
6800 ultra's recent price??????????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom