Suggest a good wi-fi router

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched the forum and found that linksys wag54g2 router was quite popular. It costs 3.1k at nehru place.Is it worth it when u have cheaper options??ive heard wifi standards have changed..does this model support new ieee standards??is it compatible with mtnl?? i have 2 PCs in 2 separate rooms,a laptop,a 5800XM. what do i need to make PCs wifi enabled??? Im new to this wi-fi setup thing!!

shaw-T

Right off the assembly line
Linksys is probably the best company you can find. I bought a cheap japanese router from edimax but sometimes it doesn't run as well as it's supposed to .

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
new one is 802.11N and routers with N support are bit costly and if you don't have device that supports 802.11N, there is no use in getting wireless-N router.

let us know what components you are going to connect to the router and what's your max budget.

OP
Ihatemyself

Ihatemyself

What?
dv6 1211ax laptop, 5800 xm...and two computers without wifi support. i just want to share internet without using server client model. i dont want any device to get preference in sharing bandwidth.i want the whole network done within 1-3k.thanks 4 responding:)
offtopic: im sharing adsl b/w laptop and one pc..but laptop is bandwidth sucker 4 sum reason.when laptop uses internet..pc gets almost none.u have ny soln?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
*www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/products/WRT54GH
*www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/products/WRT54G2

These two Wireless G routers should be good.

wireless N is a bit costly and this should be ideal:

*www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/products/WRT120N

also there are dual band routers for much faster network connectivity but they cost a bomb.

You can also get wireless G router+ADSL2 gateway inside 3k. model is WAG54G2. This removes the need to have ADSL router that is used for Airtel/BSNL connections.

OP
Ihatemyself

Ihatemyself

What?
^^thanks. is there a cheaper alternative though??? shd i buy a PCI card or shd i buy a USB wifi for desktops?what do these cost?

Last edited:

ashishnehete

RiGhT HeRe RiGhT nOw
Hey guys help me out to on thi similar issue
i want to go wireless but not getting it quite right with hard ware for it
i have 3 laptops 1 desktop
1.Hp dv5
2.Dell inspiron 6400
3.lenovo something something
4.Compaq Pentium 3 desktop 9 years running on win2000
at the most 2 laptop would be on and sometime desktop

i have MTNL triband connection with a dlink modem 502T i went to market to buy wireless router to connect all these stuff
but was seriously confused with what to buy??
N router or G router??
my house is around 1225sqft so which one should i opt for ??
I saw some belkin ,linksys, dlink which one would be great??
i have a budjet of 8000 bucks
and do i have to keep my 502T or throw it??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^thanks. is there a cheaper alternative though??? shd i buy a PCI card or shd i buy a USB wifi for desktops?what do these cost?

You can also look at D-Link and Netgear routers which are availalbe for 2k and propbably less than 2k.

USB wifi: plug and play and useful if you have combination of desktops
internal : you can use this with desktops only and if you want to use it with any other PC, you have to power down both the PCs. but these are dead cheap nowadays.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Hey guys help me out to on thi similar issue
i want to go wireless but not getting it quite right with hard ware for it
i have 3 laptops 1 desktop
1.Hp dv5
2.Dell inspiron 6400
3.lenovo something something
4.Compaq Pentium 3 desktop 9 years running on win2000
at the most 2 laptop would be on and sometime desktop

i have MTNL triband connection with a dlink modem 502T i went to market to buy wireless router to connect all these stuff
but was seriously confused with what to buy??
N router or G router??
my house is around 1225sqft so which one should i opt for ??
I saw some belkin ,linksys, dlink which one would be great??
i have a budjet of 8000 bucks
and do i have to keep my 502T or throw it??

1) if all these have 802.11n, go for N router else stick to G router.
2) My pick would be Linksys routers with dual band or netgear rangemax series. Belkin is good but I think for the price range that they are at, linksys is much much better option.

you are using ADSL right? In that case, for a budget of 8k, my pick would be these:

*www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/DGN2000.aspx
*www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/products/WAG160N
*www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessNRoutersandGateways/DG834N.aspx

Last edited:
OP
Ihatemyself

Ihatemyself

What?
@desiibond D-link DIR 615 is 40$ ..arnd 2000 bucks. and its a wireless N router..isnt it better to prefer this to old wireless g in linksys WAG54G2 which costs nearly the same???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom