Suggest a Config for 3D!

Vishw

Journeyman
Hey Guys, please help me out!

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: Well, mostly it's gonna be used for creating 3D stuff using Vue 8.5! Also for some Photoshoping & for playing Halo once in a while! Here is recommended system specs form "Vue" makers for ref: e-on software - Vue 8.5 xStream

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers?
A: Sure!

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 50 to 60k.

4. Planning to overclock?
A: I think not.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows XP 64 bit & maybe Windows 7 64 bit!

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 1TB+

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: FullHD

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Have built 2-3 AMDs but know nothing about Intel..

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Withing a month or so..

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Not particularly.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: None.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Pune. & only If it's not available in Pune.

~Vish~

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD Phenom II x6 1055t @ 9.5k
MSI 880GMA E45 @ 5.6k
4 * 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz @ 9.2k
Zotac GTX 460 1GB @ 12.5k
WD 1TB Black @ 5k
WD 500GB Blue @ 2k
LG H55N DVD @ 1k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
CM elite 430 @ 2.6k
Benq G2220HD 22" LCD @ 7.5k

Total - 59.6k

now i think gtx460 will work. otherwise can somebody suggest an ati v8000 or nvidia quadro graphics.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
cool buddy thats what i said. somebody suggest firegl v8000 series card or nvidia quadro as mentioned in vue's requirements.

OP
V

Vishw

Journeyman
Thanx, guys!

Can you suggest Intel config also? Coz i7 will gimme 8 cores for rendering compare to 6 cores of 1055t! Also Quadro or fireGL cards are not that necessary for Vue & they'll be expensive, right? So, as mentioned in Vue's recommended chips, I can go with nVidia GT series.. that'll be sufficient I think.. also I can postpone buying LCD & PSU a bit further.. I can use my Corsair VX450 & my old LG Flatron is still working good!

@Sam, I don't play games much.. only Halo once in a while!:grin:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i'll suggest don't invest in i7. you get 8 threads but will run out of money if going for a rendering card. and have to settle for a gaming card from Nvidia that supports CUDA & Physx. whereas AMD will allow you add a pro card (provided you keep your budget same).

OP
V

Vishw

Journeyman
@Sam, I'm using Vue frm last 3 years & in my xperience what it needs is a powerful processor with a decent card & lotsa RAM. It doesn't necessarily need Pro cards to function smoothly! And I've read in many forums abt which card to use with Vue & almost 99% of them suggest nVidia. I've also asked some experienced Vue users about Intel or AMD & they suggested to go with Intel + nVidia setup.. that's why I'm also asking for Intel config..

So is it possible to fit Intel config with decent nVidia card within 60k if I postpone buying LCD & PSU?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ ok than you can go ahead with i7. but mobo + processor will cost you 22-25k. whereas as AMD will cost you ~15-21k (assuming you getting a descent board, not highend).

also how much performance gain will be there if one switches from X6 to i7 (1055t to 920/930). is it enough to justify the additional 7k? if yes than Intel is the way to go.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
X6 1090t beats i7 920 in many benchmarks. No use getting this i7 920. Get phenom, it will perform better in rendering. If you want to go for intel, go for a higher i7 like 950 or 970 to get some real advantage. However, the prices of those pieces are what people buy whole PCs for.

Other option I would like to suggest is waiting for some time to get AMD 8-core processors. But the problem here is that the release date is uncertain, maybe it will take some time coming. maybe 6 months, maybe more. So my suggestion would be X6 1090 or X6 1100 (3.4Ghz) if you can lay your hands on them (you might have to wait a bit, has just been released).

If you want further performance boost, get an after market cooler for 3-4k and oc the 1090t to 3.6-3.7 Ghz, they are good overclockers.

I think we are overshooting your budget by quite a bit!

pegasus

Journeyman
If you prefer Intel, (all prices below are approx)
Core i7 950 - 14.5k
Sabertooth X58 - 14.3K
3 * 2GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz kit - 7.6K-8K approx
GTX 460 1GB - 12.5K approx
Seagate 7200.12 1TB - 2.9K
Corsair VX550W - 4.7k (or better)
NZXT Gamma - 2.1K

I do not know about 'Vue'.
But a few friends use 3ds Max professionally.
And even they have found using an AMD setup with X6 1055T very VFM.
A friend had checked Cinebench scores for i7 920 and X6 1055T, both OCed to 3.5Ghz and they were same (or almost same) iirc.
i7 920 vs X6 1055T (stock speeds)-
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

update: Please recheck prices.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vishw

Journeyman
If you prefer Intel, (all prices below are approx)
Core i7 950 - 14.5k
Sabertooth X58 - 14.3K
3 * 2GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz kit - 7.6K-8K approx
GTX 460 1GB - 12.5K approx
Seagate 7200.12 1TB - 2.9K
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k (or better)
NZXT Gamma - 2.1K

I do not know about 'Vue'.
But a few friends use 3ds Max professionally.
And even they have found using an AMD setup with X6 1055T very VFM.
A friend had checked Cinebench scores for i7 920 and X6 1055T, both OCed to 3.5Ghz and they were same (or almost same) iirc.
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

That looks like a nice config, pegasus! Thank you! & about "Vue", it uses all the threads it can, to function & render, so I think 8 threads of i7 is the way to go! A query about RAM, does it makes any difference if I go for sticks of 3GBs instead of 2GBs? I mean 3x3GB!

~Vish~

Last edited:

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
^^ there's no such thing as a 3GB single stick of RAM. The ones you might have seen are 3GB kits of 3*1GB for core i7 9xx series

OP
V

Vishw

Journeyman
Sorry! I didn't know that! :grin:

So this is what I've got so far:

Core i7 950 @ 14.5k
ASUS Sabertooth X58 @ 14.3k
Zotac GTX 460 1GB @ 12.7k
4 * 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz @ 9.2k
NZXT Gamma @ 2.1K/CM Elite 430 @ 2.6k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
Seagate 7200.12 1TB @ 2.9k
LG H55N @ 1k

Can you guys pls suggest alternatives for mobo in case of unavailability of Sabertooth?

& which RAM should I get? GSkill, Kingston, Transcend, Corsair?

About the PSU, how's the new Corsair GS600? Is it available all over India? Or should I go ahead with the VX550?

& do I need a cooler for this build? I'm not gonna OC but I tend to leave my pc on 24x7!

Thanx!
~Vish~

Last edited:
Top Bottom