Suggest a 2TB Hard Drive for a budget of 6k

SahilAr

In the zone
I need a hard disk for storing media and for downloading purpose.Budget is strictly limited to 6k only.Will be using this drive in Desktop.

Prefer Western Digital..

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
Actually,i have gone through WD and found a lot of negative reviews about this WD Green Drive:WD Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20EARX): Flipkart.com
So any other WD drive @6k budget?

Xai

Journeyman
No need for WD Black if strictly for storing data. Greens, however, reportedly have high failure rates. Go for WD Blue imo. Or, Seagate.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
Any link where i can find the WD Blue Edition(2TB) for 6k?And anyone heard of Red NAS Drives?Are they stable/Good Performer?Better than Blue?Can i find it for 6k?

Last edited:

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
NAS won't be available for 6K !! And I also don't think that WD Blue would be available at that price range.

at 6k, 2TB HDDs are only WD Green & Seagate Barracuda.

R

Ranger

Barracuda is more VFM. Pls calculate cost per MB/GB. Though warranty may not be as good as WD, bt its certainly better than WD Green if budget is around 6K for 2TB.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
If that's the case then should i finalize:Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM001): Flipkart.com instead of:WD AV-GP 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20EURS): Flipkart.com
Since my previous HDD WD 1.5TB Green one failed,will this Seagate one will be able to run 24*7...as my WD Ran 18.5hrs simultaneously on an average during Winters(5+months)Will seagate run this much without any problem?

R

Ranger

For your question, it depends on what factors govern your decisions. If budget is not a constraint, Its always better to go with most proven peripheral in the market; At this moment, I believe it is WD Caviar Black. In this thread OP has budget as constraint and hence I suggested what best I think is within that. Not necessarily everyone will agree to my thought. Electronics are not trustworthy and varies from person to person based on experiences. I have good and bad experience with both WD and Seagate. You may also hence end up buying a proven product that failure rate of 1 per 1000 pieces but what if you are that one out 1000! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
Budget is a strict constraint!And i wanted to know if Seagate is a well performer or not since i had a horrible experience in 2008-09 session as the hard disk only lasted one year.It was a 500 GB HDD.. :/ :(.But on my XPS 15 I have a Seagate Hard disk of 750 GB(It's running very smooth...i formatted it many times and even deleted all the partitions many times too..) [Touchwood :D]

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^it all depends on your luck.if you are lucky even WD green will last you 4-5 years & if not even WD black will die within few months.the only advice i give is always have a backup of your important data in a different hdd.

R

Ranger

Well Said whitestar. I have used countless seagate drives from my college days and never had a failure. I had failures with expensive hitachi drive that I got from Malaysia and also a WD drive recently. However I continue to own a 500 GB WD external drive which just doesnt give up even after being kicked like a football by my kids. ;-)

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
^^Can we extend warranty of Seagate Drive like WD?WD comes with 2 years warranty and so does Seagate!But we can extend WD Warranty after paying some money,is this the same with Seagate?Can i extend seagate warranty too?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^Can we extend warranty of Seagate Drive like WD?WD comes with 2 years warranty and so does Seagate!But we can extend WD Warranty after paying some money,is this the same with Seagate?Can i extend seagate warranty too?

No, you can't. There is no service like that..

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
^^But we can extend warranty of WD Green Drive,thought such service is available in Seagate too,well...if that's the case then Warranty is my top priority because Hard Drives are prone to failure,it is like "Kabhi bhi khin bhi kuch bhi hosakta hai" :D :D

Top Bottom