sudden and random FPS drop - 7870

tkin

Back to school!!
So can we actually return the laptop/p.c in India??
Well you can get it serviced, i.e claim warranty. If you buy from abroad you may have to get the license transferred(like Dell), asus has intentional warranty as I had heard once.

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
i have already got mine serviced once and the second time the fan and sync were replaced but still i'm encountering thermal shutdowns.. What should i do??

tkin

Back to school!!
hp pavilion dv4-5009tx.. HP Pavilion DV4-5009TX Laptop 2nd Ci5/6GB/640GB/Win 7 HB/2GB Graphics with Beats Audio - HP: Flipkart.com
RMA it again, this time play a game inside their service center and point the issue, threaten them with consumer court, this always gets the job done, last year a guy got over 50k compensation+price of laptop for a laptop related case like this.

OP
R

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
League of Legends

OP: what's ur nick in game ? Play in singapore server ?

I play in NA server - blackhawkric (Hope I dint see you in NA and rage at u :()

So can we actually return the laptop/p.c in India??

Would have loved it if you had these queries posted in some related thread. Anyways its ok now.

Saying this only because I want my issue to have the attention of ppl and am hoping to resolve it on the earliest.

What can be done to prevent thermal throttling??

This question has saved some time for me and thanks for asking :) cheers

Do this, run this tool: HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information and Analysis Tools

Play game, after 20 mins play check all temperatures(max), the issue you are posting looks very much like thermal throttling.

I will try this today and will post the updates.

^^ Well it's better to re-install Windows, which might help in your situation sometimes.

Razer Game Booster Free Download, Speed Up PC for Top Gaming Performance

I am not going through the hurdle of re installing OS again. This was not setup long ago and its hardly a month of fresh install.

I will try the booster today and keep you all updated.

Thanks for all your responses, i might trouble you all until i get through this :)

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
RMA it again, this time play a game inside their service center and point the issue, threaten them with consumer court, this always gets the job done, last year a guy got over 50k compensation+price of laptop for a laptop related case like this.

since the laptops is in onsite warranty, the guy comes to my place and does the checking.. i can make my laptop undergo a thermal shutdown anytime by playing GTA 4 on extreme high graphics, so showing him wont be a problem..

I play in NA server - blackhawkric (Hope I dint see you in NA and rage at u :()

Would have loved it if you had these queries posted in some related thread. Anyways its ok now.

Saying this only because I want my issue to have the attention of ppl and am hoping to resolve it on the earliest.

This question has saved some time for me and thanks for asking :) cheers

I will try this today and will post the updates.

I am not going through the hurdle of re installing OS again. This was not setup long ago and its hardly a month of fresh install.

I will try the booster today and keep you all updated.

Thanks for all your responses, i might trouble you all until i get through this :)

I guess the Razor game booster would end your problem..

And sorry for posting in your thread, got carried away..:ashamed:

Last edited:
OP
R

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Using Razor game booster from couple of days now. Dint face the issue so far..

Looks like I have headed the right way.. thanks to you guys for helping me out.

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!

The pleasures all ours..:)
And the reason for your problem was background processes after all..:D

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

If this continues for a long time, we can conclude that FPS dip is because of some background process. Nice to hear that it worked for you.

Sent from Galaxy SL i9003

OP
R

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
The pleasures all ours..:)
And the reason for your problem was background processes after all..:D

Looks like.. :)

Also, I think my GC might be underclocking or something (like moving onto power saver) as LOL doesnt demand much or might be idling my GC.. not sure.. just a guess.. dont even know if something of this sort exists :p

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ It exists for processors, but no idea about GPU. Better try open your Catalyst CP/card-manufacturer tool and see if you find some option like that.

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
Looks like.. :)

Also, I think my GC might be underclocking or something (like moving onto power saver) as LOL doesnt demand much or might be idling my GC.. not sure.. just a guess.. dont even know if something of this sort exists :p

The random FPS drops happen usually because of the background processes.. Had your GC being bottle-necked then the FPS would have had a constant low and not fluctuate..

OP
R

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I am using the razer boost as suggested but the issue seems to be persistent. Had the fps drop twice since yesterday and I had to reboot my pc to get it fine. This time it was on XCOM. Which means, its not the game issue but something to do with my pc itself.

Knidly pour in your suggestions

tkin

Back to school!!
I am using the razer boost as suggested but the issue seems to be persistent. Had the fps drop twice since yesterday and I had to reboot my pc to get it fine. This time it was on XCOM. Which means, its not the game issue but something to do with my pc itself.

Knidly pour in your suggestions
Thermal throttling?

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
The Above same thing was happening to my colleagues Dell 15 r with 7730M, the reason i found it was switching to integrated graphics! I dont know why it was doing that, because the AMD intelligent technology as it says should automatically detect and switch to the card whenever a GPU heavy application is running and demanding more graphic power. Lastly we had to force off every instances of auto-switch and explicitly changed the option on game.exe and other applications to run on "dedicated graphics only" from the panel and solved it. But that was laptop and i'm not sure the above PC has same thing in it from AMD. Also i noticed that rebooting was working for him, because the auto-switch seemed to occur after a certain amt of time ( say 5 min) after the game is running. Not instantly...then i tested with alt-tabbing outta the game and getting back, it behaved same.

Top Bottom