Stuttering/Jerks on a 1900XTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Hi

I know that I have posted many times on forums regarding this. Despite following most of what people said, my problem remains unsolved. I don't want any flame wars or meaningless posts, I just want to solve my problem. I hope people here help me with it.

My Rig:

AMD 64 3200 Winchester @ 2.4GHz @ 2.45V
Previously (few months back) the CPU was not oced and yet I used to get the same problem, even now I get the very same.
Asus A8N E Bios 1011 previously 1005
2 X 1GB DDR 400 Transcend using mem divider 333
Seagate SATA 160GB NCQ
Antec NeoHE 500
2 Optical drives
1 FDD
Creative Sound Blaster Live 24Bit!
Navtech local cabinet with temp display

GeCube Radeon X1900XTX

The Problem:

Stuttering/Jerkiness or choppiness in games with very good or decent FPS throughout.

Most Wanted Patch 1.3 : 12x10 4x AA 16x HQ AF MAX (CCC Default)
The trees and building appear to be jerky almost throughout the race. Sometimes the motion of the car is smooth sometimes it is jerky especially during turns. The game as a whole is playable but not great and just too too jerky overall, far from what I expect even from a mainstream card.

NFS Carbon demo 1.2 : 12x10 4x AA MAX (CCC Default), the game gives an average of 40FPS but is very very jerky which is mainly felt durning even small turns of the car. The game barely runs smooth and is not exactly even playable. Reducing the resolution doesn't do much, nor does reducing the AA.

Fear : 12x9 4x 16x HQ AF no SS
Avg: 60+
Min: 28
32% btw 25 and 40

Prey patched : Runs like crap at 12x10 with or without AA, FPS are mostly 60(locked).

Hitman Blood Money demo : OKish at 12x10 no AA Hard Shadows but with Soft Shadows it becomes unplayable, even with the former it is not great and at best playable, a 6600GT could do better than this with Hitman Contracts at 10x7!

Serious Sam 2 demo : Runs choppy at 10x7 and 12x10 with or without AA.

NFS Underground 2 : Doesn't run fine with 6x AAA. 12x10

GRAW demo : AT 12x10 runs at best playable, isn't very smooth and not great at all. no AA

San Andreas : Jerky every now and then with huge jerks while walking while looking on the ground. 12x10 6x AA

Fear Expraction Point demo : Always locks for 2-5 secs infront of the first and second doors. While fights it isn't smooth at all. 12x10 no AA no SS

AOE 3 demo : Lags while moving the mouse cursor, unplayable.

Company of Heroes demo : Lags while moving the mouse cursor, unplayable.

HL2 : Runs fine.

Unreal Tournament 2004 : Runs fine at 12x10 6x AA but with 6x AAA it loses its smoothness and jerks now and then.

Conclusion:

From what I notice that games which are relatively old run fine without AAA but as games get newer they tend to run crap and sometimes to the extent of unplayable.

What I have tried :

Reformatting Windows.
Installing new drivers, CAT 6.9 right now, newer nforce drivers as well, I think I tried with and without IDE drivers as well.
Flashed BIOS
Tried different RAM, helped very little, nothing much.
Tried with the cabinet open and using 2 X 80MM fans just infront of the GPU to blow air towards it, it helps a little but not enough to make my games run decent enough.
Changed the HDD
Tried without the Sound Blaster

3D Mark scores are ok, 06 : 4800+, 05 : 10000+
Even 3d Mark runs choppy BTW.

Temps:
CPU: Not more than 50-55 under full load
MB: 48 idle
GPU: Tried increasing GPU fans speeds of stock cooler, full load at 61-64C, generall less than 80C in winters

Please help me out, I am having these problems since the time of upgradation that is a several months. Please tell me whether any of you has ever faced or seen such a problem and how did you solve it. What could the solution, what do I do?:confused:

I will try to post in game videos if they can show jerkiness in some games, please tell me how to take in game videos.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Have you tried to run that X1900XTX on a newer processor??? Maybe with a C2D or a AMD X2??? Coz I think your winni is bottlenecking your system..

And also are you really running a winni at 2.45v ???? :shock: ...

OP
A

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1.45V.

Also, there are many people with similar or worse CPUs, these CPUs are enough for good performance so that is not the trouble, X2s and C2Ds do give better performance but are not required for a mind blowing gaming experience.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Ok .. lets get serious .. u can do these things for starters :

(i) Using Rivatuner .. set "No. of Frames to Render Ahead" to "0" from "3" under the Direct3D tab .. in my case almost removes the stuttering , at the cost of 1-2 fps ..

(ii) Set iq to performance if u card's CP permits it .. and enable all possible filtering modes

(iii) set RAS Active Time (tRAS) to 8 or above ... try some looser timings on the RAM like 2.5,3,3,8 , 2T ... make sure u avoid 1T , in my case solves a hel lot of issues ...

(iv) make sure u don't have Norton installed , and make sure u don't have Windows Defender (if u use it) to scan every application running ...

Now , ur CPU is quite ok .. a dual core should help , but hey ... a 3800+ is quite a decent PSU for the X1900XTX ... i'm running my 7950GT with it .. anyway ...

assasin

Banned
Is ur crd OCed.If yes den reduce the clk freq of both memory and core.Cuz i faced a similar situation when i OCed my crd beyond the 420/540MHz mark.

OP
A

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
card is not oced.

how do i use rivatuner with ati.

initially it was 2T I think.

1900XTX is meant for quality mode not performance mode.

norton isn't installed.

OP
A

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
get the video
please keep a watch for jerking trees and sometimes buildings, the motion of the car is mostly smooth.

speed_2006-11-15_17-09-106.avi:
*files.filefront.com//;6204859;;/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom