Stretched budget for the AMD config.. good enough ?

OP
A

AMD_logic

Broken In
The s.no embossed on the CPU is HDZ955FBK4DGM, the 3rd in that page. So hopefully its the c3 stepping..
The only difference that I see bt. HDX955FBK4DGM and HDZ955FBK4DGM is that the former has 0.850-1.40V and the later has 0.825-1.425V voltages. . wats the point ?!

Edit: So, mine is a tray CPU and not a box ?!

Also, why is the L3 cache field for my OPN left blank in that comparison page ? There is nothing listed in the detailed info page as well under L3

*products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?detailId=682&id=682&id=618&id=532

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^the same question came in to my mind when i confirmed that my processor is also the same revision.its a website mistake,thats all nothing else.

OP
A

AMD_logic

Broken In
hmm.. so no difference between the HDX955FBK4DGM and HDZ955FBK4DGM ?

- When opting for a 1 TB HDD, can I go with the usual Seagate barracuda or look at the western digital ?

- Whats the best 6870 that I can step up for from my current selection of Msi cyclone 6850 OC ? (Thought I could go for a bit lower mobo - M4A87TD-USB3 and use the buck for a 6870 :d)

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^the difference is of .25v.
i am using seagate barracuda 500GB.it is nice but i can't tell the difference between then as i never used WD and also using this seagate just from 1 week.so just see which one is cheaper and get that.
that msi one is nice.you can go with that.

OP
A

AMD_logic

Broken In
That's an awesome price. but the hawk lacks the following features when compared to the other msi models.. (even the basic R6870-2PM2D1GD5) is that true ?

TV-Output, vivo, hdtv,hdcp,hdmi,dual-link dvi

Cilus

laborare est orare
I don't think any of the current Graphics card have direct TV output, that can be done thorough VGA, HDMI, DVI or Display port.

I didn't understand why you don't try to Google a little bit before asking. You know the model number, just go to the product specs of it in MSI site and you'll find what kind of output is does have....no need to rely upon what you've heard.

It has HDMI, DVI and Disply port. Check the picture below

*www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=28998

OP
A

AMD_logic

Broken In
okay, here is the comparison sheet from the msi website.. unable to post a direct link hence the screenshot... 3rd from left is the hawk..

*img801.imageshack.us/img801/7039/msip.jpg

Notice those NA's next to HDCP support, HDMI support & DVI Dual link support...

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, HDMI support and HDMI output is little different. The card does have 1 Dual Link DVI, 1 single Link DVI, 1 HDMI and two mini display output.
\Check *www.msi.com/product/vga/R6870-Hawk.html#?div=Specification

So get it with your eyes closed.

OP
A

AMD_logic

Broken In
Could you just let me know how the HDMI support and HDMI output are different ? the 6850 pe had display ports.. while this one has has mini-display ports instead..

Its just that I dont want to miss out on any of the features/connectivity options that are present on the 6850 !

saswat23

Human Spambot
That mini display port is HDMI port only. HDMI ports are smaller than DVI and VGA ports. The connectivity you are talking is about the DVI port i suppose.

OP
A

AMD_logic

Broken In
I dont think there is difference in the DVI ports.. both the models have dual link DVI's.. n I dont think hdmi = mini display port.. this card has 2 dvi ports, 1 hdmi, 2 mini display ports.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Mini dispaly port is different than HDMI port and they use packet data transmission protocol. They also offer higher bandwidth than HDMI 1.4a standard. It is mainly used to transmit data to some 3D HD TVs to provide sufficient bandwidth for running 1080P content @ 30 fps. The maximum bandwidth of HDMI 1.4a can only provide bandwidth of 1080P content is 24 fps in 3D TV. Bandwidth wise mini display port is comparable with Dual Link DVI.

AMD_Logic, Just check whether your card is having HDMI output or not. Since Hawk HD 6870 is having it, there is no problem with the connections.

OP
A

AMD_logic

Broken In
Thanks to all the kind ppl who have helped me throughout this build :)
finally, got the pc assembled yesterday and its now up & running sweet :razz:
Looking for a good graphic application/game now to test the limit ;)

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Thanks to all the kind ppl who have helped me throughout this build :)
finally, got the pc assembled yesterday and its now up & running sweet :razz:
Looking for a good graphic application/game now to test the limit ;)

Congrats :)) Don't use benchmark software like Furmark ...it may damage your graphics card.Just play normal game and check your card's fps with Fraps software

Last edited:

MegaMind

Human Spambot
^^True. Unigine heaven, Furmark(not futuremark) are GPU killers... One of our forum members got his GPUs memory corrupted while running Unigine...

@OP, Not meant to scare you, but be cautious...

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ You are not scaring anyone but telling him some fact(s) which he should avoid. As you know these facts there is no harm in telling anyone that some benchmarking softwares are gpu killers.

sukesh1090

Adam young
@OP,
I myself used furmark burning test and in that @ stock my gfx card temp reached above 85 and then crashed.at normal gaming for hours even after overclocking my temp never goes above 62C.so for god sake never use this software.