Strange HDD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Hi guys.
I recently got my Samsung hard disk replaced (about 1 half month to be exact), model no. SP0802N, 80 GB PATA IDE. They gave me a brand new HDD as replacement on request.

I have set the HDD as primary master, is connected to an 80-pin cable/ribbon.
I have 2 ROMS connected as secondary master & secondary slave with 80-pin cable.

Today evening, I encountered a strange problem with the HDD.

I had already run the computer today about 4-5 times successfully.

In evening, when I started the computer, the HDD wasn't getting detected but the HDD light was on. My ROMS got detected.
On restarting, now neither the HDD nor ROMS were getting detected.
So, I disconnected the power to HDD & restarted.
Now, the ROMS were getting detected.

I tried resetting the BIOS by removing the battery. But that also didn't work. I checked the power cables, data cables & other hardware accessories but to no avail.

Now, I installed my old Seagate 10 GB HDD as primary master in place of the previous one. It ran fine. It was getting detected along with both ROMS.

So, I knew the problem had to be with the Samsung HDD.

Now, I changed the jumper setting of the Samsung HDD from Master to Cable Select. Now, upon restarting the HDD ran fine. The drive & both ROMS were getting detected. Windows also booted fine.

So, I reverted the jumper setting of the HDD back to Master from Cable Select.
Upon restarting, this time it was getting detected along with both ROMS. Windows also booted fine.

Now, what I wanna know is that what was the problem? Should I take my HDD to service centre?
Or stay put with the HDD and wait and watch?

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Its a very strange problem indeed.. I guess ,it might be due to a loose connection? I'm not too sure, however, since you disconnected and then reconnected it, and found it to be running, it partially indicates towards that direction...

If sending it to a service center doesn't cost you or hamper your productivity, then send it for getting checked to be on a safer side.

OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
kaustav_geek said:
Its a very strange problem indeed.. I guess ,it might be due to a loose connection? I'm not too sure, however, since you disconnected and then reconnected it, and found it to be running, it partially indicates towards that direction...
Actually, I did try disconnecting & reconnecting the power & data cables prior to trying anything else but with same results. So, couldn't have been a loose connection. Anyway, I had turned off the computer about an hour ago before starting it again (unsuccessfuly ofcourse) without fiddling with anything. So, couldn't have been my fault.
kaustav_geek said:
If sending it to a service center doesn't cost you or hamper your productivity, then send it for getting checked to be on a safer side.
Will go next week definetely.

Till then, keep posting your answers & comments.
Who knows, maybe you've figured out my problem.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
There was some loose connection in the jumper pins. I have seen a Samsung HD in which there was two ways to set the master. But only one of the modes worked fine. Other mode gave errors like yours. If you have a single HD, then Cable select is the best setting.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
I too get very confused with samsung drives. the two jumper pins are sometimes difficult to set
*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/Download/userguide/images/jumpersetting_02.gif
Master in lower 32GB
(capacity < 32 GB)
*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/Download/userguide/images/jumpersetting_03.gif
Master in upper 32GB
(capacity ≥ 32 GB)
*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/Download/userguide/images/jumpersetting_04.gif
Master with limit capacity in upper 32GB
(capacity ≥ 32 GB)

[
link]

OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Lucky_star said:
I too get very confused with samsung drives. the two jumper pins are sometimes difficult to set
*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/Download/userguide/images/jumpersetting_02.gif
Master in lower 32GB
(capacity < 32 GB)
*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/Download/userguide/images/jumpersetting_03.gif
Master in upper 32GB
(capacity ≥ 32 GB)
*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/Download/userguide/images/jumpersetting_04.gif
Master with limit capacity in upper 32GB
(capacity ≥ 32 GB)

[
link]
Mine doesn't need 2 pins. One pin is sufficient. Anyway, it came with only one pin.

Last edited:
OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Probably very late to post a reply.
Ok, the problem was with faulty IDE cable.
Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
Replaced it with a new one & started working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom