Storage on my old router?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I think "standard" doesnt come with any GUI launcher, but you should be fine regardless.

Atleast we found out that debian live usb is working fine. Id suggest you try setting up samba and see everything works before doing the entire procedure on your HDD next. Reason we want to set it up in HDD is because a flash drive isnt meant to be plugged in 24x7.

*help.ubuntu.com/community/How to C...minal) - Uncomplicated, Simple and Brief Way!

Step 5 might be a difficult one if you dont know how to operate nano text editor in command line. Be careful while doing it.

use this to do a quick trial of samba share.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Getting the "mate" version now.. just to avoid the codes..
Hopefully I trust you can help me with a similar test instruction page for this GUI version..

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Wait, just try the commands on the standard installation first. its not that difficult.

You would have to run the codes on the mate version as well, except on a terminal window.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
I think "standard" doesnt come with any GUI launcher, but you should be fine regardless.

Atleast we found out that debian live usb is working fine. Id suggest you try setting up samba and see everything works before doing the entire procedure on your HDD next. Reason we want to set it up in HDD is because a flash drive isnt meant to be plugged in 24x7.

*help.ubuntu.com/community/How to C...minal) - Uncomplicated, Simple and Brief Way!

Step 5 might be a difficult one if you dont know how to operate nano text editor in command line. Be careful while doing it.

use this to do a quick trial of samba share.
completed until step 7
can u pls guide me on the last step.. where do I type in these commands on windows?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Okay, Let me see.

On windows you dont need to do anything, type \\<IP ADDRESS OF YOUR LINUX MACHINE\ into any windows explorer bar. you should be able to browse contents

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Screenshot 2022-12-13 231119.png

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Okay i was able to see the folder created on the server but got an access error when trying to open it with the correct credentials.. maybe I’m missing a few commands. What’s next now since the test seems to be okay ?!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
The correct credentials are most likely what you use to login to your debian os. If everything is working fine, its best to do this entire thing on a hdd, so you can run it for longer hours.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Since this was the test live environment, I don’t think I set a password for the O.S..? The user password that i had set did not work though..

What about the issue with the blinking cursor which is why we started this entire ‘test’ procedure !

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Im not sure what the reason of that blinking cursor was and without more details its impossible to say.

You can double check samba authentication here

*www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-set-up-quick-and-easy-file-sharing-with-samba/

You can do anonymous shares as well where you dont need password to enter.

Top Bottom