Storage on my old router?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
No, you just need an app that can browse network share. My phone isnt rooted and its a very common feature. Your TV might already have this capability.

Btw i just read latest version of Ubuntu does not support 32 bit. you might need to install and old one, or some other flavor of linux. Maybe @Desmond can suggest.

Debian might be a great choice.

Last edited:
OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Spent a couple of hours installing Debian on my 1TB external HDD after burning the ISO onto a flash drive.
Post installation though, I changed the boot device to the above HDD, but nothing comes up apart from a blinking cursor...
Tried both the 64-bit PC netinst iso & 32-bit PC netinst iso (on my current amd 64 bit system - just to check if its working before installing onto the p4 system) and the same blinking cursor issue on both the versions...
Downloaded from : Debian -- Getting Debian
Video guidance -

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Try booting onto your flash drive first using Live USB. See if everything is working.

Then proceed to install it.

Make sure you choose MATE/LXDE or some lightweight launcher!!!!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Also blinking cursor, when you type something, do you see the typed characters ? It might mean you installed a server only version of debian (no GUI). That is actually perfect for usecase.

Also installing on external hard drive is a nono, do you have any internal drive you can use for this purpose ?

If you have no other choice, partition it properly! Debian FS should be in 1 partition and your shared NAS Folder should be a completely different one !

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Reply was right on time ..
Just trying the installation on my intel laptop after it ‘failed’ on my amd desktop
Using the gui version only. And need help on this final installation screen :

Im trying to install debian on my external hard drive after changing the boot mode from uefi to legacy on my dell laptop that has win 8.1 installed.

Is it a yes/no to the below?

Install the GRUB boot loader

It seems that this new installation is the only operating system on this computer. If so, it should be safe to install the GRUB boot loader to your primary drive (UEFI partition/boot record).
Warning: If your computer has another operating system that the installer failed to detect, this will make that operating system temporarily unbootable, though GRUB can be manually configured later to boot it.

install the GRUB boot loader to your primary drive?”

Nerevarine

Incarnate
What I understand will happen is,

1. It might replace your regular windows bootloader and you would have to configure a tiny bit of file inside debian to present you with the choice to boot into windows or debian.
2. It might automatically do it and you wouldnt need to do anything.

Things arent very apparent to me based on just the message details above. I dont remember when scenario 1 occurs. Just make sure your are not REPLACING windows 8.1. (i.e. formatting the ENTIRE drive and then installing)

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Question is a bit confusing to me since laptop OS 8.1 is on an internal ssd while im trying to install debian on an external 1tb drive ..

With regards to the partitioning, i have followed the default options shown by the installer at the beginning ..

Last edited:
OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Same road block !

Completed installation (by opting to install the Grub boot manager onto the external disk) and nothing happens when trying to boot from the external drive.. just a blinking cursor and nothing that I type comes on the screen..

Booted into windows and the drive isn't even shown on My Computer
Disk management shows 2 partitions on the drive - 930.56 GB (Primary partition) and 976 MB (Primary Partition)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
It wont show in windows because its an ext4 partition.

Can you tell me if you can boot from live usb flash and everything worked fine ?

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Okay i have the below options :
Graphical install
Install
Advanced options
Accessible dark contrast installer menu
Help
Install with speech synthesis

Where do i find this live boot ?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I downloaded the live iso from debian from here Debian -- Live install images

I used rufus to burn this onto a USB. I set Persistent size to 20 GB. Partition Scheme = GPT (modern systems only). Rest everything is default.

live1.PNG

IMG_20221212_174252.jpg

In your case, first try with your flash drive to save time. If everything boots fine using the above option, then we can proceed forward with HDD.

Top Bottom