Storage on my old router?

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Hi,

I own the TP link TL MR3420 version 2 router with an USB port that was meant to support a 3G modem or dongle.

Is there any way that I can use this port for storage purposes so as to access the files on a connected flash drive on all the connected devices.

Tried plugging in a USB drive and there seem to be no USB settings within the router configuration page..

Any thoughts?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Usually flashing openwrt, ddwrt or tomato firmware on these routers with USB, allow using USB as a storage device.
But in your case, it seems, the router only has few kbs of firmware space left and storage functionality cant be added even if you flash.

Take a look here
*openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3420

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Is there any other setup possible such that I'm able to access files/folders stored in a common place from all devices connected to my home wifi?
I don't want a pc running 24/7 though!

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Looks like making an investment is a No. So falling back to the PC option. Got a 13 year old 32 bit intel pc lying around and planning to make use of it as a NAS

Spent last couple of days researching freenas, openmediafault, etc. But the challenge is either these are not compatible with a 32 bit system or there are no proper tutorials for earlier 32 bit versions of the softwares.

Could you pls suggest a good 32 bit NAS option for my usage (media share on windows/ios/android on lan & wan) that most importantly has an a-z setup guide please !

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Freenas definitely doest support 32 bit. Open mediavault is possible but you will need to do manual debian installation 32 bit and then install OMV (old version) on top. I will search for some easy tutorial but I wouldnt get my hopes up.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yes it will. Media can be accessed from iOS, linux, windows, android etc. But you might need to do a bit of setting up in your TV.

I use solid explorer on my phone as its easy and convenient.

Top Bottom