• Who cares!

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Well, again I've this request to make the following threads sticky in "chit-chat"

"Must watch movies"
"Must read books"

Is there anyone who supports me? (including MODs)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I think that these threads are already quite active, remains on the first page. Perhaps Must read can be taken for a sticky but not the Must watch.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
dunno, but I think there is no point actually. :oops:

The Offtopic Thread has murdered all "Chit-Chat" threads. All queries which should be asked separately and things which should be shared separately go in that thread. And the rest few threads which spawn up - either no one posts in them or they are ridiculous that mods have to murder them. :(

In a nutshell, what Faun said. No new threads spawning in the Chit-Chat section and the two threads you said always remain on top.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
"Must watch movies" already remains on top. So doesn't really matter if it's made sticky.

But "Must read books" can be made sticky. Just because of the sheer importance of reading books! :p

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Make them sticky just for honoring 'em. Its chit-chat...they have full right to be sticky :)

And they have served long.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
For a start, What is sticky? It's a thread pinned up at the top of the list of threads such that those threads catch attention for reasons such as giving vital information to the community such as rules, or informative threads (such as the PSU Blacklist, C/C++ guide, etc.) It has NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING to do with the activity in the thread and there is no need to "honour" or do anything like that. There is zero benefit of stickying the threads mentioned here, they'll remain active as they always were (maybe could get worse since people do have tendencies to skip stickies). Though Must Read Books can have a benefit, if stickied temporarily, since we might attract the brand of users who like reading or unearth the readers among us (But tell you what give it a nice bump, that maybe even better stimulus to a good thread). But Must Watch Movies? Nope.

tl;dr I say no but Must Read Books can be considered.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^See, suddenly books are better than movies! Its a chit-chat section. We have a sticky of movie review thread!
And, we don't have technical discussion in this section, so what if its not on technical topic.

And, I'm regular contributor to both threads. Its just, as "must read books" help us find some good recco about books, "must watch movies" also guided us to build a taste on movies, experience few rare and delightful movies.

They are no more just simple threads now; they are repository of good gems of both worlds.

Well, I can only request.
I don't know what MODs or Admins consider to decide a sticky. Specially if the threads belongs to chit-chat.

Could user voice be deciding factor? Then again "Jojo" just quoted me.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^See, suddenly books are better than movies! Its a chit-chat section. We have a sticky of movie review thread!
I never said books are better. Only thing is the movies thread is already successul just like the footie thread and hence it does not require stickying. Books thread on the other hand maybe needs that "temporary push".
Suddenly there are another bunch of sticky threads: Football Channel, Cricket Channel (whatever it is these days), Must watch TV shows, etc.

Could user voice be deciding factor? Then again "Jojo" just quoted me.
Forums aren't democracies. It's a hierachical system in terms of decision making while everyone is equal in terms of participation.

P.S. And by books I only meant consideration. I am not in favour of any of the like threads stickied.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Well, in that case could you run this thread another two days?

I'm hoping any of you MODs have a change of heart and perception in that time.

Books thread is sticky now, we already have a Movie review thread in the sticky. Even if the Must watch Movies thread is not sticky, it will be one of the most active threads. No need for extra elevation.
^See, suddenly books are better than movies!
Books are always better than movies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom