Steps to take before migrating to BSNL wi-fi modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayushman9

Journeyman
I am using BSNL Type 1 modem ( ZXDSL 831AII) Presently . I have applied for wifi modem which will be given after 2 or 3 days .The problem is that if the modem fails to be properly configured the BSNL technician is surely going to say me that your PC is at fault and to take the PC to a PC tehnician :shock: . :-x So much for being largest National telecom company cusomer service bull ****. :-x

Last time when i upgraded from old HUAWEI modem to the ZTE one the technician came after 2 WEEKS and configure my modem and the problem was that i had to choose "BRIDGING" instead of "pppoe over internet" . I just don't want this kind of delay this time. If anything happens then i have to again wait for weeks before i can access Internet.So i am ensuring that at least i have first hand knowledge of proper settings

I don't know which modem will they provide me but can you tell me the basic settings that should be done in my pc and router irrespective of Modem company/build for proper function for DATAONE HOME 500 PLAN . I am currently using Windows XP and NORTON 360 V1 for antivirus and firewall purposes . What changes should i do in firewall settings . Do i have to first change router configuration through Ethernet or straight to wifi . Also i have heard that wifi connections can be easily hacked if not properly protected . Please tell me the steps to enable encryption .Do i have to repeat these steps every time i use a new PC to connect through the router ? Also i can port forward the router if it is allowed by the device so you can be assured that i know some basics of networking .

presently for the TYPE I Modem settings are

VPI = "0 " ,
VCI = "35" ,
service category = ""UBR WITHOUT PCR" ,
protocol = "BRIDGING" ,
Encapsulation = "LLC/SNAP",
Nat = "Off" ,
Wan IP Address = "none" ,
DNS server = "NONE" ,
Default route = "off"

Also just for knowledge ,they said that it is possible for more than 2 LAPTOPS to run the Internet .Leaving the Internet sharing part is it possible to establish a Home wireless LAN for file sharing through this router .If yes please point me to any tutorials if present so .

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
ok here's the update

The modem is ITI DNA-A211-1 . Now the device came with a dialer but i choose to do it manually . The problem is that first i can't establish a wifi conncection with the modem . I can only connect with the router to Internet in BRIDGE mode .

But my main use is for laptop in wireless mode . How do i fullfill that .When i change the mode into pppoe over ethernet ,enter username and password ,the modem fails to connect to Internet giving error 678 . And as much i know without this mode nor can i enable NAT nor setup wifi connections What should i do ?please help

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
FINALLY i was able to establish both wired as well as Unwired Internet connection . Well the only thing going wrong was that i had assigned CUSTOM IP Address for both Ethernet and Wireless adapter . Once i changed it to "obtain an IP Address automaticaly ,LO BEHOLD the Internet began to work albeit at low speed which i think can be attrubuted to loss in wireless propagation.

But now without a custom IP Address ,how will i share Files or folder with any other Lappy or PC . Is there any way to retain this configuration plus assign custom IP to the PC . I have heard that the router can be used for this purpose ,but i don't know hoe to do that . My router address is 192.168.1.1 so what should be other values ie for default gateway ,ip address ,DNS Server etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom