Steam

gameranand

Living to Play
I doubt steam will soak up taxes for us. Publisher maybe. But there is still a catch somewhere. They are businessmen.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Like I said. I don't know the details about Steam. All I can tell you is that these taxes are there since Oct 2016. Who soaked the taxes till now, who will soak in future or would it be reflected on some games or all games. I simply don't know. We have to wait and see.

If 15% VAT on games is adjusted so that the actual amounts doesn't increase in Steam, then it's OK.
I think Steam will get a hit on its profits if it increases by imposing so much as 15%.

Since they are businessmen they will adjust the15% within the actual amount.

Regarding Ubisoft, Rockstar, EA, Activision or Bethesda it's all about their individual pricing policies that reflects in steam if at all sold here.

I think 11-12% should be enough. More than that is simply looting.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

LOL. How is 11-12% OK and 15% not OK. Thats like 3% increase from 12%. Its not that, the taxes are there and we have to take it. Simple.

gameranand

Living to Play
ah, :duh2: . my bad. So on what basis govt decides these taxes on games??
Any Digital service is having the tax, be it Steam games or Website hosting. Anything which will be served digitally with no physical copy or anything will suffer from these Taxes. Its not Entertainment Tax or anything like that. Thats pure false thing. If you buy retail then you won't have these taxes slapped on you, as I said earlier. These are for Digital goods only.

Kaltrops

In the zone
Like I said. I don't know the details about Steam. All I can tell you is that these taxes are there since Oct 2016. Who soaked the taxes till now, who will soak in future or would it be reflected on some games or all games. I simply don't know. We have to wait and see.

LOL. How is 11-12% OK and 15% not OK. Thats like 3% increase from 12%. Its not that, the taxes are there and we have to take it. Simple.
Not October 2016, March 2017.

And 15% is not even a lot. Jeez.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Rockstar games will always be high. Rs3499-Rs3999 is normal for them. This won't change that.
I understand some can afford it, but for majority, even a ₹200 hike in price is a lot. Think from everyone's perspective.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Rs200 is not a lot, sorry. Just think smart and save money every month for games.
Dude think from a college kid's perspective.

And you agree to it or not, it is bad overall because we already pay enough taxes. Just because ₹200 is not a big amount is not a good enough reason for me to pay that to the government when I already pay them much more from other sources.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Everybody has their own perspective and those who are truly enlightened shall see better light of it.

Kaltrops

In the zone
Dude think from a college kid's perspective.

And you agree to it or not, it is bad overall because we already pay enough taxes. Just because ₹200 is not a big amount is not a good enough reason for me to pay that to the government when I already pay them much more from other sources.

A kid shouldn't have a right to complain because it's not his/her money. The parents will end up paying.

Get a part time job, save a little every month, limit the number of games you can play every year and buy the games you can afford during sales.

That's what I did when I was in college.

Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
A kid shouldn't have a right to complain because it's not his/her money. The parents will end up paying.

Get a part time job, save a little every month, limit the number of games you can play every year and buy the games you can afford during sales.

That's what I did when I was in college.

Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity.
To some who could afford it wasn't but to those who couldn't buy it was more than luxury.

gameranand

Living to Play
Not October 2016, March 2017.

And 15% is not even a lot. Jeez.
Do you even read news ? These taxes were announced long ago. In Feb 2017 Steam announced that prices are going to increase and everyone is going gaga over it. I think I even posted the link for that news in the TDF Telegram group IIRC.

Okay my date remembrance is not exactly accurate. It was Start of November. Here is the link
Online downloads & subscriptions from foreign sites to invite 15% tax, Technology News, ETtec

It clearly states that Taxes were enacted from Dec 1. So someone was soaking up these taxes till now.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Do you even read news ? These taxes were announced long ago. In Feb 2017 Steam announced that prices are going to increase and everyone is going gaga over it. I think I even posted the link for that news in the TDF Telegram group IIRC.

Okay my date remembrance is not exactly accurate. It was Start of November. Here is the link
Online downloads & subscriptions from foreign sites to invite 15% tax, Technology News, ETtec

It clearly states that Taxes were enacted from Dec 1. So someone was soaking up these taxes till now.
If the taxes came into effect from Dec.1 onwards then Steam was adjusting that 15% VAT within the price of an individual game.

As for increase of Ubisoft prices, it concerns them but not Steam.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like no more review brigading on Steam.

Steam User Review Changes (score will no longer include reviews by users that received the game for free, such as via a gift, or during a free weekend) - Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: Steam Blo

We're in the process of making a couple more small changes to Steam Customer Review system as we continue to fine-tune the relevance and accuracy of the overall review score for each product.

In September, we made some adjustments to how the review score was calculated for each product. You can read about those changes and the reasoning behind it here. We're continuing with a few more changes in this direction to improve the relevance of the score by better reflecting the sentiment expressed by invested, paying customers.

With the changes we are making now, the review score (shown at the top of store pages and in various places throughout the store such as search results) will no longer include reviews by users that received the game for free, such as via a gift, or during a free weekend. Reviews can still be written by customers that obtained the game in any of these ways, but the review will not count toward the overall review score.

We started rolling out this change earlier this week, and it will take a few more days for our system to completely update all reviews and re-calculate the scores. In the meantime, you may see the review score on a game change a couple of times depending on how many reviews come from the sources mentioned above.

This change only affects games that are listed for sale on Steam. For free or free-to-play games, reviews by all users will continue to count toward their review score.

Reddit thread - Steam User Review Changes (score will no longer include reviews by users that received the game for free, such as via a gift, or during a free weekend) : pcgamin

Kaltrops

In the zone

mod edit: no personal attack

India may have introduced these laws in Dec, but Steam's tax did not come into effect until March 1st 2017 along with 9 other countries.

Steam are paying more tax in ten countries, but it will be up to publishers to increase prices | PCGames

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaltrops

In the zone
If the taxes came into effect from Dec.1 onwards then Steam was adjusting that 15% VAT within the price of an individual game.

As for increase of Ubisoft prices, it concerns them but not Steam.

Yes, but newer game prices, post March 2017 may be affected.

Right now Nier Automa and Ghost Recon Wildlands, both reflect the new pricing.

If you look at every Ubisoft game released before March 2017, those prices remained the same, but the March release, Ghost Recon Wildlands has seen a pretty substantial increase.

This is just the beginning.

Top Bottom