Steam

Kaltrops

In the zone
Steam has started charging 15% vat

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
I thought it was just 15% VAT.

Yesterday I checked the price of Ghost Recon Wildlands and it was Rs1799. Today, it's R3499.

Steam games will soon come in line with US pricing across the board so you better buy a few games quick.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl

Yesterday I checked the price of Ghost Recon Wildlands and it was Rs1799. Today, it's R3499.

Steam games will soon come in line with US pricing across the board so you better buy a few games quick.
That makes no sense, why would steam suddenly give up regional pricing, there will be steep dips in game purchases.

Killing Machine
Steam has started charging 15% vat

Where are you guys seeing this 15%? I just checked for Witcher 3 now and its the same as before.

*i.imgur.com/DUKHDB7.jpg

Missing regional price for Wildlands could be a mistake of Ubi in this case (or) a deliberate decision as you are suspecting. Because the strange thing is, I don't find the PC physical version being sold by GamesTheShop (official importer) and nowhere found in other sites in India. Only Xbone and PS4 are available at ₹3499 (Link).

So there won't be any PC physical version sold in India for this game?
Did they try to price the game in line with the console versions? Forgetting the fact the ₹3499 console version is the deluxe version not vanilla. (which is in line with my pricing mistake theory)

Questions..questions..

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
I saw the vat split up yesterday when I bought Homefront. That price is inclusive of 15% vat as it was shown in the final order screen.

Last edited:

Killing Machine
I saw the vat split up yesterday when I bought Homefront. That price is inclusive of 15% vat as it was shown in the final order screen.
Cool. Even I bought this yesterday for ₹235 but did not check the email that shows this split up. I was having a different assumption like while checkout they will add tax. I didn't realize it was inclusive of VAT already.

I get the point now. So you guys mean that future pricing by publishers will accommodate the 15% while decision making. Or will existing prices be revised for all? For example, W3 GOTY was ₹999 before and ₹999 now as well (incl. of VAT).

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Cool. Even I bought this yesterday for ₹235 but did not check the email that shows this split up. I was having a different assumption like while checkout they will add tax. I didn't realize it was inclusive of VAT already.

I get the point now. So you guys mean that future pricing by publishers will accommodate the 15% while decision making. Or will existing prices be revised for all? For example, W3 GOTY was ₹999 before and ₹999 now as well (incl. of VAT).
Dunno about this now. Someone has to buy and see if the original prices now include vat or not. It they do, then that's good as we don't pay anything extra.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Where are you guys seeing this 15%? I just checked for Witcher 3 now and its the same as before.

*i.imgur.com/DUKHDB7.jpg

Missing regional price for Wildlands could be a mistake of Ubi in this case (or) a deliberate decision as you are suspecting. Because the strange thing is, I don't find the PC physical version being sold by GamesTheShop (official importer) and nowhere found in other sites in India. Only Xbone and PS4 are available at ₹3499 (Link).

So there won't be any PC physical version sold in India for this game?
Did they try to price the game in line with the console versions? Forgetting the fact the ₹3499 console version is the deluxe version not vanilla. (which is in line with my pricing mistake theory)

Questions..questions..
Ghost Recon wildlands: Ignore the game. Gets repititive very fast. Just another far cry. And for that price. Thanks but no thanks.

gameranand

Living to Play
You see. The Taxes which are to be implemented or have been implemented. I don't know for sure will include the Taxes in the final price which is shown at the storefront. Now the things is, whether publisher will soak that tax and still offer the games at same price as before or they will increase the price of the games as per the taxes. By which I mean 10% extra on the base price. So its upto the publisher to soak or let it show on the pricing on steam. IIRC the taxes were announced in Oct 2016. I don't exactly remember if it was implemented as well at that time or not. If it was then Valve was doing us a favor by giving the same price and soaking up the taxes, if not well no harm done by them anyway.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
You see. The Taxes which are to be implemented or have been implemented. I don't know for sure will include the Taxes in the final price which is shown at the storefront. Now the things is, whether publisher will soak that tax and still offer the games at same price as before or they will increase the price of the games as per the taxes. By which I mean 10% extra on the base price. So its upto the publisher to soak or let it show on the pricing on steam. IIRC the taxes were announced in Oct 2016. I don't exactly remember if it was implemented as well at that time or not. If it was then Valve was doing us a favor by giving the same price and soaking up the taxes, if not well no harm done by them anyway.
I doubt steam will soak up taxes for us. Publisher maybe. But there is still a catch somewhere. They are businessmen.

Kaltrops

In the zone
That makes no sense, why would steam suddenly give up regional pricing, there will be steep dips in game purchases.

It's not up to Steam, pricing will always be at the publishers discretion.

Look at EA, Activision, Rockstar, and Bethesda pricing. Most of those games are console pricing.

It's only a matter of time before all AAA devs start charging Rs3499-Rs3999.

Kaltrops

In the zone
I think Steam will absorb the 15% on games before March 2017. That is why you still see the pricing staying the same, but with 15% VAT added on at Checkout.

Newer games will get newer pricing. Nier Automa is Rs1999. I purchased it last night out of fear the price might spike at launch, lol.

Price was Rs1738 + Rs261 VAT = Rs1999.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
If 15% VAT on games is adjusted so that the actual amounts doesn't increase in Steam, then it's OK.
I think Steam will get a hit on its profits if it increases by imposing so much as 15%.

Since they are businessmen they will adjust the15% within the actual amount.

Regarding Ubisoft, Rockstar, EA, Activision or Bethesda it's all about their individual pricing policies that reflects in steam if at all sold here.

I think 11-12% should be enough. More than that is simply looting.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Tax percentage is not decided by Steam. It is set is by the respective government of the country.
Even if VAT is based on the respective countries, Steam can adjust the price of games without increasing them which does not increase their actual prices.

Otherwise Steam might incur losses.

The only way now to buy games is from the 3 Steam Sales that occur in a year.

Physical copies are not available that easily and now if steam increases prices then it's not good for gamers as a whole.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom