Steam

halo1

Broken In
Re: Steam related discussions

just bought Batman Arkham Asylum: GOTY for $7.50. and Flatout: Ultimate carnage for $2.00

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Why would you want to stop yourself from buying one of the most awesome Batman game out there? :mrgreen:
Actually I have it already but not on Steam. Was thinking whether to get it again on Steam or not.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot

Actually in a country like India, Digital Distribution sucks. Price cut is the only reason to go this way. Or, if one is living in a extremely remote place (with no retail outlets) with a very good internet connectivity (which is not a easy thing to get here) :p

Then again, Prices on steam or any Digital distribution is comparably high when compared to the retail prices in India (Except this holidays sale).Digital distribution isn't a thing for most of the Indians.

sasuke

Broken In

I have 2 questions
1)i own GTA 4 and GTA liberty city episodes game and NFS Hot Pursuit on DVD. so can i use the cd-keys of these game and be able to register them on steam???
2)I got BFBC2 on steam and my friend has it on dvd, so can i use the CD-KEY obtained from steam to be able to install and play the bfbc2 singleplayer and multiplayer from DVD, instead of downloading?

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have 2 questions
1)i own GTA 4 and GTA liberty city episodes game and NFS Hot Pursuit on DVD. so can i use the cd-keys of these game and be able to register them on steam???
Check this list: *support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

2)I got BFBC2 on steam and my friend has it on dvd, so can i use the CD-KEY obtained from steam to be able to install and play the bfbc2 singleplayer and multiplayer from DVD, instead of downloading?
No idea. Better ask a BF:BC2 player.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot

Yes. You can register steam key with retail copy. Infact, I did the same thing. Just make sure that you apply all the available patches after installing the game.

bippukt

In the zone

As for DRM , yes it has DRM. IIRC valve has stated it has the master key for the DRM, and in case Valve goes out, they'll release you the games.

Do not trust this. Firstly, you will find no official mention of this. Secondly, Valve doesn't own the licenses and it is highly unlikely the publishers are going to allow it easily.

certain games in steam have cd keys like when I purchased dirt2 in steam it came with a cd key which had to be entered in the 'games for windows live' screen in the game... though it's tied to my steam account

_

Yes, you will have CD-keys with digital purchase wherever there is a need for them, either for registering for multiplayer or for getting Customer support (like Paradox games) or for any other reason.

Actually in a country like India, Digital Distribution sucks. Price cut is the only reason to go this way. Or, if one is living in a extremely remote place (with no retail outlets) with a very good internet connectivity (which is not a easy thing to get here) :p

Then again, Prices on steam or any Digital distribution is comparably high when compared to the retail prices in India (Except this holidays sale).Digital distribution isn't a thing for most of the Indians.

Totally agree! I use Steam, Impulse and D2D, but strictly for such sales, with a very few exceptions.

sigh, Batman Arkham Asylum: GOTY for $7.50.

How should I stop myself???? :oops:

You don't...just give into it. Especially for such an awesome game :)

That does it, now I'm definitely getting a credit card.

You don't need a CC just for buying games via Steam, if you are willing to 5% extra ;)

You can make a virtual CC with Entropay using your Debit Card. They 5% for this. You can then use this virtual CC for purchase on Steam, Impulse, Gamersgate and a lot of other places.

You can also use it to buy via Paypal, but you will need to verify your account by:
-confirming your bank account
-or confirming your virtual credit card (may or may not work).

You can purchase via Paypal, however many vendors will not accept payments unless the account is verified.

Note - The virtual CC works at most places, but not everywhere.

Forgot to add, I got these this sale:

Bob came in pieces $2.5
Flight Control HD $2.5
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising $3.0
Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne $5.0
Puzzle Quest $1.5
King Arthur Pack $5+ something
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter $2.5
EVE Online: Tyrannis $5 (STEAL!)

Still a week more to go...I am getting slightly concerned about the health of my wallet now, especially as I already bought WoW standar+burning crusade recently.

Last edited:

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

Do not trust this. Firstly, you will find no official mention of this. Secondly, Valve doesn't own the licenses and it is highly unlikely the publishers are going to allow it easily.

there is no trust involved in this. it's a legal requirement which is in the steam subscriber's agreement. just like if Apple goes down you will still own the music purchased through itunes. publishers have no big role to play in this.

_

bippukt

In the zone

there is no trust involved in this. it's a legal requirement which is in the steam subscriber's agreement. just like if Apple goes down you will still own the music purchased through itunes. publishers have no big role to play in this.

_

I think you have got it wrong. They explicitly say that they do not guarantee indefinite service availability. If what you say is right, please tell me where it says what you think in the SSA.

That said, I am not too worried. First, Steam is quite successful. Second, there is not much point in thinking beyond the next few years - after all, we don't even know if these games will run on the OS after 10 years.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

I think you have got it wrong. They explicitly say that they do not guarantee indefinite service availability. If what you say is right, please tell me where it says what you think in the SSA.

That said, I am not too worried. First, Steam is quite successful. Second, there is not much point in thinking beyond the next few years - after all, we don't even know if these games will run on the OS after 10 years.

service and product are two different things. the game we buy is the product which cannot be taken away from us even if the company goes down. but the service (steam platform account, steam validation [DRM], steamworks, steam community, friends service, VAC etc) will also go down with the company that is what is meant by that 'indefinite service availability' not being guaranteed.

so to enable us to play the games even after the service is down, the DRM (steam validation) will be taken and we might just have the publisher's service like EA account for its games like NFS, BFBC2 etc.. ubisoft account for HAWX, ghost recon etc for online play.

btw yeah steam is successful and I can't imagine being without it :D

_

sasuke

Broken In

Left 4 Dead 2 @ $6.79 (maybe i ll get it, shud i?)
GTA 4 complete pack @ $10. though this is not recommended in india as a single game is around 16GB.

tejaslok

Journeyman

loved GTA 4 but 16 GB omg it will take a week or so for me to download the game itself !!

currently happy with complete valve pack :p

iTaher

Broken In

L4D2 is up for $6, I wanna buy it but I don't have a CC and my DC doesn't work with Paypal. so can anyone buy it for me, I can transfer funds in your account through net banking. plz pm me asap, i'll appreciate the help!!!

Top Bottom