sygeek

Technomancer
Re: Steam related discussions

ONE QUERY
i was downloading TF2
around 100 Mbs was completed and i accidentally pressed the ups button with my foot

So whe i restarted my PC and resumed the download, it started to download from fresh I guess
however it was stated at the bottom that 100mb is complete
yet it was showing in the progress status as 1mb/3mb/5mb downloaded.....
steam's buggy.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson

A few questions about steam:
-Does creating an account or downloading it requires some payment?
Or only downloading(or purchasing) games charges money?
-Is it possible to download on a computer(my laptop) and then play it on computer by copying the files to a pen drive?

Actually I have received a Dirt 3 Coupon by which I can download Dirt 3 for free from steam. My computer's Net speed is very slow and sometimes doesn't even work correctly, but my laptop's connection is perfect. So is it possible?

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot

Team Fortress 2 is Now Free to Play. :p

Mind you it's only playable if you have purchased a game previously in Steam, or have money in your Steam Wallet. Either way, impressive.

Is that true?Atleast hackers will have something to lose now,if they get banned.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member

@Nipun

Creating an account does not cost money. Only purchasing a game does. After that you can download the game as many times.

If you are thinking that you will be able to play the game by copying it on pen drive much like running portable apps, then this is not possible. You have to use Steam back-up and Steam's offline mode. I've explained everything well in the first post. :)

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson

@Nipun

Creating an account does not cost money. Only purchasing a game does. After that you can download the game as many times.

If you are thinking that you will be able to play the game by copying it on pen drive much like running portable apps, then this is not possible. You have to use Steam back-up and Steam's offline mode. I've explained everything well in the first post. :)

Thanks!
So this basically means that I need to download Steam on my computer, backup files on pen drive using Steam Back-up from laptop, go back to desktop computer and log-in to steam and then play? :confused: Can I play when I am not logged in?

Sorry, but I am unable to understand how this works. :sad:

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Download Dirt 3 on machine 1 using Steam. Take Steam game back-up on an external hard disk. Go to machine 2. Log into Steam on machine 2 (requires inernet). Restore the back-up. Play the game if you want to or just sign off. Now you can use Steam's off-line mode on machine 2 to play without being on internet.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson

Download Dirt 3 on machine 1 using Steam. Take Steam game back-up on an external hard disk. Go to machine 2. Log into Steam on machine 2 (requires inernet). Restore the back-up. Play the game if you want to or just sign off. Now you can use Steam's off-line mode on machine 2 to play without being on internet.

Thanks a lot! This is easy to understand :D
BTW, is it necessary to have external Hard Disk? Its same as pen drive, right?:smile:

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot

I think anyone can play it.No previous purchases required.

I see there are already plugins to block the free to play players.It was never going to be pretty.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

I think anyone can play it.No previous purchases required.

I see there are already plugins to block the free to play players.It was never going to be pretty.

Well according to F2P FAQ:

Will my Free-to-Play account have limitations or restrictions?

Any Steam Account that does not own a purchased game or have a funded Steam Wallet is considered a "Limited User." We have chosen to limit access to some community features as a means of protecting our customers from those who abuse Steam merely for purposes such as spamming and phishing. For more information, click here.

Individual Free-to-Play games may choose to place limitations on accounts. Please see the respective games Steam Store page for more information.

I guess TF2 hasn't put that limitation? The accounts will still be "Limited" though, is that the way it is being blocked?

I also wonder if the F2P TF2 users get access to the Source SDK and the access to huge array of mods.

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|

ONE QUERY
i was downloading TF2
around 100 Mbs was completed and i accidentally pressed the ups button with my foot

So whe i restarted my PC and resumed the download, it started to download from fresh I guess
however it was stated at the bottom that 100mb is complete
yet it was showing in the progress status as 1mb/3mb/5mb downloaded.....

Check this picture:- I guess it will answer your query

*i.imgur.com/R855q.jpg

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot

Well according to F2P FAQ:

I guess TF2 hasn't put that limitation? The accounts will still be "Limited" though, is that the way it is being blocked?

I also wonder if the F2P TF2 users get access to the Source SDK and the access to huge array of mods.

Limited account just means some restriction on trading and cosmetic items in TF2.Buy anything in the ingame store to make your account premium.
Yes,I think that is the filter being used.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson

I am sorry but I am again confused, I have another question:
You can download it as many times you want and from anywhere. No CD or DVD required. You are allowed to take back-up of you games on any media you want, but you have to log-in into Steam to play your games. You can only log-in from one location at a time.

So if a computer doesn't have internet connection, I cannot play?
And If I got internet for one time, and I logged in, restored the games that I took as backup from another computer, I can play it, right? So I need to login every time I play? What if I login once, then never connect internet to it(or only occasionally)? :(

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member

I am sorry, I have explained everything very very clearly in the first post of this thread and I am not willing to repeat the same thing. (Hint: Read point 4.)

If you have Steam installed, just mess around you will get the answer of your question.

Also, a small Google search of "steam offline mode" gave me this result: *support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

I hope this helps. :)

Here is a small screenshot:
*i.imgur.com/GKlrl.jpg

Top Bottom