Steam Deck announced by Valve

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Does it? I think it has some refined Vega version.

I think AMD is yet to release any APU with RDNA architecture.
You are right its vega 7/8. This should be a massive increase in performance. The performance per wattage should be a good indicator how the GPU performance of the newest exynos would be. Because that too is built with a close collab with AMD featuring RDNA2.

D

Deleted member 345628

64 Gigs is too less and if you have to go for something like 512 GB , You might as well get a budget gaming laptop in that range .
I don't see any reason why someone would buy it in that kinda price range when you can get a laptop(which also happens to be portable) .
It makes sense to buy a PSP or a nintendo Console (games normally you can't play on windows ) .... But , why would anyone buy it?
IMO this seems like a waste of money . I might as well buy a XBOX Controller and a budget gaming PC with Big Screen .

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Its a personal preference. I would not buy this instead I would stick to Switch or PSP console.
Portability is the major factor for this one.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Lets see if makes it to the market or not. And this is not the Final Build.
Typical Valve.
64 Gigs is too less and if you have to go for something like 512 GB , You might as well get a budget gaming laptop in that range .
I don't see any reason why someone would buy it in that kinda price range when you can get a laptop(which also happens to be portable) .
It makes sense to buy a PSP or a nintendo Console (games normally you can't play on windows ) .... But , why would anyone buy it?
IMO this seems like a waste of money . I might as well buy a XBOX Controller and a budget gaming PC with Big Screen .
A laptop is portable, but still not as portable as this. Also all models come with a microSD slot, so you can put a 1 TB card if you can and you are good to go.

Though there are a few things that might result in a bad experience, one being that many of the games on PC might not be optimized for such a small display and as such could result in much smaller UI which could be hard to read. But I think this largely depends on the games and the developers willingness to patch them. In either case I am not expecting many games to be suitable for this.

Edit:

2kliksphilip's video on this

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I just now read here in comments that the battery will be fixed. Isn't that a deal breaker for many at that price? Wouldn't the battery capacity reduce sooner since this has a powerful hardware and will be required to charge often before gaming on it?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I just now read here in comments that the battery will be fixed. Isn't that a deal breaker for many at that price? Wouldn't the battery capacity reduce sooner since this has a powerful hardware and will be required to charge often before gaming on it?
That's the one thing, I know it won't be user replacable.. but if after market replace would be possible, it would just extend the longevity so much.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Portable? It's massive in size. Just LOOK at the big guy holding in IGN's video. Won't fit in your trouser pockets for sure! xD /s

Screenshot from 2021-07-17 14-19-45.png

I am more excited by the fact that it's a full blown PC, where theoretically we can wipe SteamOS to install any other OS like windows!
But surely, I am happy for the impact this shiny object could have on the Linux gaming.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
That's the one thing, I know it won't be user replacable.. but if after market replace would be possible, it would just extend the longevity so much.
Don't you think if they allowed this then it will make their product even more attractive to buyers? Compare to having a non-replaceable battery which will could be a main deterrent to buyers since no one wants to buy a new console every 3-4 years. Why this idea is not even on the deck here?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Don't you think if they allowed this then it will make their product even more attractive to buyers? Compare to having a non-replaceable battery which will could be a main deterrent to buyers since no one wants to buy a new console every 3-4 years. Why this idea is not even on the deck here?
Planned obsoleteness doesnt really apply to Valve because this is a brand new territory and they might not even have a successor to this product, which is why your point makes sense. but I dont know, maybe manufacturing costs is low for embedded battery etc.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
IMO watching a Dota 2 match in the client is much better than watching a stream.

Playing though will be a problem I think since it's basically like playing Dota 2 using a trackpad.

Top Bottom