Steam Deck announced by Valve

OP
true_lies

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
I wouldn't call it "Valve has knocked it out of the park" just yet till full in depth review, but so far it's looking great. The cons he states seem subjective and would be based on personal use and taste.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 Plus using Tapatalk

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You can check what percent of your Steam library is compatible with the Steam Deck at this website - CheckMyDeck

OP
true_lies

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Steam Deck OLED
  • Better brighter slightly bigger screen, same resolution though
  • Higher Refresh rate
  • Bigger battery
  • 6nm APU vs 7nm APU from the original
  • Better Cooling
  • WiFi 6
  • More storage for basically the same price
STO.jpg

STO1.jpg

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I saw. Though it's kinda pointless since it's not available in India. I hope Valve would partner with some retailer in India to sell Steam Decks.

I actually see sales posts regarding Steam Deck on TE or reddit r/IndianGaming relatively frequently. IMO people bought because of hype later realised its not as useful as they thought.

I'm still of the opinion that Google & Apple should take gaming more seriously as Switch is weaker than even a few years old flagship phone. Apple took its first step at least.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
I actually see sales posts regarding Steam Deck on TE or reddit r/IndianGaming relatively frequently. IMO people bought because of hype later realised its not as useful as they thought.

I'm still of the opinion that Google & Apple should take gaming more seriously as Switch is weaker than even a few years old flagship phone. Apple took its first step at least.
I see Steam Deck as a secondary gaming device for people who already have a gaming PC or Console at home and enthusiasts. It's for gaming when traveling.

Switch sells due to it's first party games. Switch is 6 years old. Strong rumors indicate a Switch successor next year. It will probably sell well too unless they pull a Wii U. Also I think gamers prefer a dedicated gaming device over a phone(my opinion).

I see Steam Deck as a secondary gaming device for people who already have a gaming PC or Console at home and enthusiasts. It's for gaming when traveling.

Switch sells due to it's first party games. Switch is 6 years old. Strong rumors indicate a Switch successor next year. It will probably sell well too unless they pull a Wii U. Also I think gamers prefer a dedicated gaming device over a phone(my opinion).
Agreed on both points.

My point is just that phones are a more convenient secondary gaming device than Steam deck or Switch. Phones just lack top quality games. You will always carry your phone anywhere you go. Time will tell what happens.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If I had to game while travelling, I'll just use retroarch on my phone. For me, steam deck or even ROG ally are expensive accessories and I'd rather save money for next laptop/desktop.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If I had to game while travelling, I'll just use retroarch on my phone. For me, steam deck or even ROG ally are expensive accessories and I'd rather save money for next laptop/desktop.
How about Gamepass ultimate with 5G, it works butter smooth. Just get a kishi, and you are done.

In terms of battery life this would be a lot better than any of the steam deck and stuff.

setanjan123

In the zone
Agreed on both points.

My point is just that phones are a more convenient secondary gaming device than Steam deck or Switch. Phones just lack top quality games. You will always carry your phone anywhere you go. Time will tell what happens.
Maybe because both of those handhelds are kinda big. I recently got a 2DS XL and it's as portable as my phone and has a game library that blows any phone out of the water. I just carry it with me these days. Really useful for short or semi long gaming sessions without draining the phone battery which can be a big concern when you are traveling.

setanjan123

In the zone
How about Gamepass ultimate with 5G, it works butter smooth. Just get a kishi, and you are done.

In terms of battery life this would be a lot better than any of the steam deck and stuff.
5G drains battery quite a bit lol. And Xcloud isn't even available officially in India AFAIK. I don't think the VPN solution is as reliable as having a local system. Cloud gaming isn't there yet.

Not available in India officially

5G drains battery quite a bit lol. And Xcloud isn't even available officially in India AFAIK. I don't think the VPN solution is as reliable as having a local system. Cloud gaming isn't there yet.
I carry a power bank always. Even if I am just watching videos, phone battery is not sufficient for more than a 2hr flight IMO (considering you need to reach airport 2hr early & time from airport to home).

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Is anybody using it here to emulate switch and retro consoles? I tried switch oled at best buy yesterday and immediately got hooked to the mario demo they had on it.

Top Bottom