Steam Deck announced by Valve

64 gb is too low for games and its very costly imo
Price is ok IMO, provided it performs close to AMD R3 4350G APU in games, like even 60-70% of its performance would be great as well. Not to forget, there are a lot of low requirement PC games which will run on it, surely not latest AAA titles.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Price is ok IMO, provided it performs close to AMD R3 4350G APU in games, like even 60-70% of its performance would be great as well. Not to forget, there are a lot of low requirement PC games which will run on it, surely not latest AAA titles.
But dont you think 64gb storage is too low for atleast AAA games Yeah its good if you play indies.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Its not meant for AAA games to be fair, control, fallen order and doom eternal is just a topping..

Yes 64 GB is too low but you can always expand with a micro SD. Get a 512 GB for peace of mind, im actually interested in this. If it has good enough battery life im considering it.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
R3 4350G has RDNA 1.0 gpu i think, steam deck has RDNA 2.0 ( the same arch as AMD RX 6xxx series).. I dont think even 5xxxG series processors have RDNA 2. Correct me if im wrong, AMD has been very dodgy with this

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
No reason to buy something underpowered like Nintendo Switch once this is available. Unless, you want to play their exclusives ofcourse.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Most people already have plenty of games on steam and getting this seems like a no brainer. Especially if they are planning on making all Windows games work like they claim.

If you have dark souls or skyrim on Steam, makes no sense to buy it again to play on Switch.

Only doubt I have is how they will manage anti-cheat. This runs SteamOS 3, which is based on Arch Linux. Steam on Linux uses Proton to run Windows games, but Proton does not support anti-cheat yet. Which means that games like PUBG, Apex, Rainbow Six might not run. But let's see if they have some solution by December.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Most people already have plenty of games on steam and getting this seems like a no brainer. Especially if they are planning on making all Windows games work like they claim.

If you have dark souls or skyrim on Steam, makes no sense to buy it again to play on Switch.

Only doubt I have is how they will manage anti-cheat. This runs SteamOS 3, which is based on Arch Linux. Steam on Linux uses Proton to run Windows games, but Proton does not support anti-cheat yet. Which means that games like PUBG, Apex, Rainbow Six might not run. But let's see if they have some solution by December.
I can see battlefield 3 picture in the video, which did have punk buster. But maybe it was just a promotional thing. Regardless I doubt this is a device meant for multiplayer

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Last I checked Punk Buster runs on Wine, I tried it with Battlefield 4 (on Origin) and it runs without any problems. So I think Battlefield 3 should run too. But I don't know whether Battlefield 3 has the new server browser UI or it's still on the old web based UI.

I have doubts about EAC and BattleEye though.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
The page says it can run AAA games as well. Is this due to small screen size? It seems difficult for r3 to run all that. Also, is the GPU same as the one available with r3 ?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The page says it can run AAA games as well. Is this due to small screen size? It seems difficult for r3 to run all that. Also, is the GPU same as the one available with r3 ?
Perhaps there will be graphical concessions but let's see once more objective reviews come up.
This should be in technology news. This is like Nintendo switch but 100 times better.

@whitestar_999 @Desmond David please move this to a new thread.
Done.
GPU is better than R3 for sure. It is running at 720p, must be targetting 30 fps
I don't think this is a huge issue when you have the ability to play your entire steam library on the go.

OP
true_lies

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
I think this would specially be great for gamers, new and old who've stacked up some old games in their library (like me) but not looking for the hassle to install and play them sitting in front of their PC. They can do that just on the move, and then play the more recent AAA games on their PC. Games few years old would not be taxing on the hardware either and play smoothly.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
It won't be removable which means it's lifetime is a max 3 years. That's the thing about products like these. Also I doubt it will launch in india

R3 4350G has RDNA 1.0 gpu i think, steam deck has RDNA 2.0 ( the same arch as AMD RX 6xxx series).. I dont think even 5xxxG series processors have RDNA 2. Correct me if im wrong, AMD has been very dodgy with this
It will have a 5W SoC maybe, so let's see how it performs.

Top Bottom