Starting C++ programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
I plan to start learning windows programming with C++ as i noticed there is a need for good quality opensource apps in windows. Also i personally prefer c++ to any other language. I have heard that python is better. But I am not sure. Could you please advise on preference?

I remember using an api guide for windows in chm format or something. But I am not able to recollect the name or the creator. It had the most important apis, examples etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Also since I am just starting out, i plan to make a command line mail server. If you are aware of any tutorials that would help me to learn fast, please let me know.

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Sorry for being vague

Sorry shakti and thanks for your time.

Actually, i sometimes find it difficult to find certain software on the internet for windows. mostly related to networking. All seem to be for linux. So i wanted to create some myself. Eg. In my office i would like to create a software to find out where exactly there is a connection fault on the network (Dunno if it is possible. I am researching on it.) Since I am not a full time programmer as in itself, I only know C and C++ (also vb, asp, java etc but they don't count for this purpose) So I wanted to know if it is worthwhile learning python investing my time in it. I hope I am clear.

Ok so i was looking to program in C++ for networking. when i do it in devcpp including winsock2.h and call the gethostname function, it throws some sort of error about an id. I guess I need to use wsastartup or something first. I read that somewhere on the internet in a very simple language but an unable to locate that site now. I would appreciate if could be reminded. Also there was an api guide in chm format which i am trying to locate. Actually i did all this over 18 months ago and so my memory is a bit rusty.

I really don't know if this is the right forum to post this question. If i am in the wrong place, i am open to receive suggestions. Thanks in advance

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Got lucky

Hurray! I got lucky on the network tutorial which i shared with you. (the wsastartup stuff) It is the Beej's tutorial

For anyone who needs it, it is *www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/Using-Internet-Sockets/456

I don't know if linking to another site is allowed here. If it is now allowed, please be kind to inform me

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Thank you

Thank you vinay for pointing it out. I was just wondering because on some sites when the members provide links they get flamed. I understand Digit is much more targeted towards benefits for its members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom