Starting a new Start !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

talktorishav

techspalace
hey ubuntu is not detecting my headphones.........do i need to install some drivers or what......??? i cant work on my pc without my headphones....!!!

and kindly tell me or give me some easy or step by step tutorial link to install a software, (its .tar.bz2 file) say amarok (music player) which i got from digit dvd. i messed up with it......but its really difficult for a noob to install a s/w for the first tym.......!!!

Have you enabled "headphone" by double clicking the volume icon and going to switch tab.

If you can't find "headphone" option you can add it by clicking "preferences" just below it.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
ohhh............sorted out...........everything was OK...
i just change the jacks.........when i used front jacks of cabinet after plugging out the rear ones......everything just gone fine........!!!

But i was shocked........y??hmm.........bcoz the front jacks r not working fyn for windows.......thats y im using the rear ones.........
i'll check all again as soon when i log in to windows.........!!!!
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Why not check your repositories to see if the software is there first. For example if you are using Ubuntu check synaptic to see if Amarok is in there which it should be.

yes u r right......i can install amarok or anything else using synaptic........i had installed vlc using that...

but acutally....i want to learn how to install apps by compiling or------ as i m in the learning stage.
Also, its my need........as all apps r not available in package manager........one should know other options too.......!! And i need to install one s/w named Wapua.........which is a wap browser for pc for wml and .mobi wap sites.........and its not available in synaptic....!!

Recify me if i m wrong somewhere........

Last edited:
OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
once again.........i need some better modifications...........
i installed a theme but it only changed the borders ..........everything remains same as it was............no change of icons or display anything...........it was from "gnome-look.org"

i want themes that looks like something this:
*img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotuq7.png or
*img381.imageshack.us/img381/415/ubuntumr0.jpg

tell me how to get the complete change of look (themes + cursors+ icons +menus etc etc) from the default one i have..........:!:

it would be gr8 if u tell me how to get that bottom object/menu-like ...........Plz elaborate the process......im still a noob:grin: ;-) but i m enjoying working on linux.........and trying to dig out everything i can do in available limited tym..........!!! 8)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
once again.........i need some better modifications...........
i installed a theme but it only changed the borders ..........everything remains same as it was............no change of icons or display anything...........it was from "gnome-look.org"

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1097751&postcount=1479

Heres an example of what I did back on Ubuntu 7.10. Please note that I'm not sure if the process is still the same in 8.10 or 9.04 you could check with folks who use it here or come to IRC and check with d1g1t or some of the folks in the #Ubuntu channel. Also Dark-Star has two guides posted somewhere around here also if you check his blog hes got it on there as well.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Some problems arose again.......:-(
First, a serious problem i think, this is what i got to see when sometimes i open other partitions(media) and check for "authorization remeber" in ubuntu :
*preview.shareapic.net/preview5/016925654.jpg

although all goes well after rebooting.......:shock:

Secondly, hope this is not so serious like above (might be silly):oops: :
from yesterday, by default firefox opens up with a fullscreen window and i have to manually switch it to normal mode.:shock:

Thirdly, do u use Amarok ??:?: If yes how do u queue up songs from the explorer, i mean can't i just right click and queue a song like we do in windows with WMP ??

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Try:
(1) Create a mount pt:
Code:
sudo mkdir /media/Other

(2) Then mount:
Code:
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda7 /media/Other -o force

As for Firefox try renaming (and thus resetting the settings, you will lose bookmarks, extensions though)
Go to Home Folder(Nautilus). Press Ctrl + H. You'll see hidden files. Rename .mozilla to .mozilla.bak. And pree Ctrl + H to hide the hidden files again. Then run Firefox you'll get Firefox in fresh state.
(to revert do that again, delete the new .mozilla, and rename the old .mozilla.bak to .mozilla)
As for Amarok. Amarok itself has an "explorer" from where you can enqueue. Look at the left pane.

Rahim

Married!
That message showed an improper shutdown. Try shutting down Windows properly and then the ntfs partitions will mount correctly. Do a chkdsk on Windows partition also.

You can also queue-up the songs or play in an order by using shortcut key : ctrl + D

You can backup bookmark.html file in .mozilla folder and start refresh with FF.

Last edited:
OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
@liverpool_fan, what is the funda behind creating a mount point and then forcing....??? i guess, it mount the drives on startup....is it ???

@a_rahim, improper shutdown......????:confused: i shutdown my windows properly but will try chkdsk anyway......!!!:!:

Well apart from it, the mozilla problem automatically solved......i dont know how......but it is...!!! funny......or some mistake overcome my previous mistake.........!!!:eek: :lol:

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
i successfully made changes to fstab to auto mount my drives......

but now too,.......my wallpaper changes after rebooting.........!!!
Why ??

And i dont want to put the copy of wallpaper in home directory, as i changes it frequently....!!!

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda9
UUID=c8a5a2a8-273c-408a-a01e-2e9fa1b11a79 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda10
UUID=a2a622d7-91ff-4f69-9af0-fda226c86207 /home ext3 relatime 0 2
# /dev/sda8
UUID=88885ce5-e9e9-4471-a382-cef0adc5a489 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/sda7 /media/movies\040n\040games ntfs defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
/dev/sda6 /media/home\040theatre ntfs defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 2
/dev/sda1 /media/s_w\040and\040apps ntfs auto,user 0 0
...sda6,7 and 1 are my windows partition drives...!!!

Rahim

Married!
...sda6,7 and 1 are my windows partition drives...!!!# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# /dev/sda9
# /dev/sda10
# /dev/sda8
/dev/sda7 /media/movies\040n\040games ntfs defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
/dev/sda6 /media/home\040theatre ntfs defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 2
/dev/sda1 /media/s_w\040and\040apps ntfs auto,user

Strange kind of mount point :)
You have to change '\' with '/' in the bold lines highlighted.
Further i would suggest to edit fstab file like this. You will need root access. Open a Terminal and enter
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/fstab
This will open the file in Gedit where you can edit and dont gorget to save it.
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# /dev/sda9
# /dev/sda10
# /dev/sda8
/dev/sda7 /media/moviesgames ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
/dev/sda6 /media/hometheatre ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 2
/dev/sda1 /media/windowapps ntfs-3g auto,user
First create 3 mount pointsin /media folder. Open a Terminal/Konsole and cd to /media folder and enter
Code:
sudo mkdir windowapps moviesgames hometheatre
. Give your password. This will create the desired mount points where your 3 ntfs partitions will be mounted(you can access). Now enter
Code:
sudo mount -a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom