Starting a new Start !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
strange...........humhhh...........
actually, my drive's(volume) name are : s_w and apps, movies n games, home theatre and a c: (windows)
mind the spaces in above names........

As we cant name anything with spaces in linux as we do in windows, so i just used \040 which is actually used for spaces. And i wanted to create the mount point with names as i hav in windows........just for conenience.....!!

I have edited the fstab in nano .........is there any difference in editing with nano or gedit........??

Also, i dont want my c: to be auto-mounted so i left it in the fstab file and thus cant use "mount -a "

Now i would like to know,
see last two lines of /etc/fstab,
/dev/sda6 /media/home\040theatre ntfs defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 2
/dev/sda1 /media/s_w\040and\040apps ntfs auto,user
there are two ways of mounting the drive, one with defaults,locale........
and the other with auto,user
whats the basic difference between these two..........??

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
i just write in both ways for exp but i dont see any difference in implementation..........there might be some minute difference.........

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Thnx to u all guys 4 ur kind support.........now im getting linux friendly and its now my defuault boot option......!!!

Again asking for a help 4m u......

1. I bought a new HDD, so i need to give more space to ubuntu, u can say that i want to add up a partition of around 20 GB. Can i expand '/' disk space or i hav to make a new partition ??

2. As, im using Ubuntu 8.10, and 9.04 is out.......is it advicable to upgrade to 9.04, if yes, then after upgrading, will all my customizations i made and extra apps installed will be lost...??
I guess NO, but want to confirm 4m u......i have never upgraded linux......!!!

Plz answer asap.....!!!

Rahim

Married!
^Congrats :)
You can definitely expand '/' partition using GParted Live CD.
As for upgrading to Jaunty, t is worth it and you will not lose any of your settings if all goes well with the dist-upgrade. But still backup your .dot files in the home folder.
But if you want to install afresh then your settings would be wiped out.

I would suggest to make a separate '/home' partition. This would help you save all your settings if you are installing fresh or other distros. Why not create a huge partition (say 30 GB) on your new HDD and mount it at /home. Edit /etc/fstab and make a mount point
Code:
/dev/sdxy /home defaults 0 0
Its a suggestion and not a must.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Thnx buddy....

what does this "GParted Live CD" do....?? Where to get it...??

No, im not installing a fresh copy,,,just the upgrade of current distro as i saw in "Add or Remove...."

^Congrats :)

But still backup your .dot files in the home folder.
Do u mean (.filename) -hidden files.....??

Why not create a huge partition (say 30 GB) on your new HDD and mount it at /home. Edit /etc/fstab and make a mount point
Code:
/dev/sdxy /home defaults 0 0
Its a suggestion and not a must.
Hmm.......if i mount a partition, then windows user will have access to it. Right ??

And i want to make seperate partition that will b used only for linux ;)
How to do it..??

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
what does this "GParted Live CD" do....?? Where to get it...??

GParted Live CD is used for manipulating partitions on your drive. I suggest everyone should make one disk of Gparted & keep it handy. Better than using windows inbuilt partitioner or spending on other commercial softwares. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.

Rahim

Married!
Vy .dot files/folders, I mean hidden ones in your home directory which contains all your apps settings, etc.

GParted Live CD helps to create/resize/delete partitions and is a LIVE CD, so you have to boot with the cd and do your work. Pretty easy and intuitive. It has other softwares included like Grub restoration, backing up files, data recovery with Test Disk,etc.
You can get it from here

I use another variant of it QPArted, very similar to the former.

Since you will be making a separate /home partition in ext3 format, no one can access that partition from Windows :D Infact it wont even show that type of partition exist as Windows is incapable of reading non-native formats!!! (Though there exist a plugin where one can access to non-windows partitions but thats another case).

So get your hand dirty!!!

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
a_rahim, have a look here :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119930

u can help me out.......!!!
Thnx yaar.......!!!

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Ya for sound try changing sound software from the add & remove