Starting a new Start !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamsi360

Always confused
^I know vamsy about 777 :) My problem is that my ntfs partitions always have full access permissions(777) despite changing it with root privileges.
The default permission in Linux is 755, i guess.

i think its 755 or 644....never mind on the harddisk...for me the main problem is with the server when i uploaded my website and changed the permissions of my wordpress blog and PHPBB forum inorder to upload a book to the post....ultimately messed up and the whole website is gone now....i have worked so hard and set up the website for my class and ultimately when all the class members registered in the forum and is actively running all this happened...luckily I backed up all the databases and I will start afresh during my holidays and I am learning Dreamwaver and AJAX, FLASH, ASP myself hope they complement me......my website was in PHP and I was irritated repeatedly explaining how to configure to my classmates as they have no knowledge of PHP and for us we have webdesign in 6th semister and we are in 4th.
Going on its a long story.....better i will stop here. I think atlast all my experiences will count.
The best example is that I tried to make a project of adding out own process and application(designed using frames in java) to linux kernel and ended up in a messy way and when i finally did it after taking some time i realized that although i lost my midterm internal marks i gained knowledge.

talktorishav

techspalace
^I know vamsy about 777 :) My problem is that my ntfs partitions always have full access permissions(777) despite changing it with root privileges.
The default permission in Linux is 755, i guess.

Dude because its NTFS as you said, it ain't taking UNIX permission.

@pr.itdude

First of all, though you make your files private in Windows, administrator can view it by taking ownership and setting correct permission.
The only way to make none but the owner of the file access to the files, you have to encrypt it in windows. In that way, neither administrator in windows can see files nor anyone in Linux.

The less safe way, you may set permission so that other users other that you can't mount that drive.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
You could easily restrict access to the whole drive using fstab. However if it is folder you might want to check Access Control Lists.not sure if that works but its worth a try.

fstab....:?::?::?: wats this ....
im totally a noob in linux........so plz elaborate a bit......!!!

one more thing.....ubuntu asks for password each tym when i try to open (is it called mounting ?) another drive, say E:/ or F:/.....!!
How to skip that....?

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
What is fstab

Understanding fstab

NTFS Write Support & Options

I hope these links would clear the doubts about /etc/fstab file.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
fstab.... wats this ....
im totally a noob in linux........so plz elaborate a bit......!!!

one more thing.....ubuntu asks for password each tym when i try to open (is it called mounting ?) another drive, say E:/ or F:/.....!!
How to skip that....?
Rahim has linked all the necessary pages for you to get a better understanding of the fstab files function. If the above doesn't work I'll check around and see if theres another alternative without having to encrypt within Windows. If it was another computer its quite easy. When its on the same computer that may be hard.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
thnx guys.........!!!

i'll try more experementing with my dual boot and....then will ask more ques to u ppl.......!!!! ;)

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
hi yaaro......

some h/w related problems.....
yesterday i inserted digit's dvd in my dvd writer in ubuntu.........but it did not responded......there was nothing on the screen........when i clicked on the Disc drive icon....it showed insert a disc ........i tried 3-4 times, infact with other cd's too.......but its not responding.......:?::-(

Secondly, im unable to use my headphones in ubuntu.....but speakers r supporting...!!! :-o

Do i need to change some settings........:?:

Plz post some tutorials , ubuntu related (if digit's then gud) links......(tuts only) !!!

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
^^ welcome to opensource

actually digit cds dont work as the autorun file is exe

u have to browse manually

for tuts see my sig

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
^^ thnx buddy............
nice indexing.......!!!

ya....now i can browse the digit's dvd perfectly..........
Secondly, im unable to use my headphones in ubuntu.....but speakers r supporting...!!!

Do i need to change some settings........
but what abt this....??

User Name

In the zone
Is there any book or help kinda thing which has complete list commands with it's meaning used in ubuntu or any other linux distro?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Is there any book or help kinda thing which has complete list commands with it's meaning used in ubuntu or any other linux distro?
Most commands are going to be the same regardless of the distro. If I recall correct there should be an ebook for Ubuntu available on their website which gives a pretty good run down of all commands. Also I recall one of my RSS feeds to Ubuntu or Debian had an admin card which showed alot of the frequently used commands.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
hey ubuntu is not detecting my headphones.........do i need to install some drivers or what......??? i cant work on my pc without my headphones....!!!

and kindly tell me or give me some easy or step by step tutorial link to install a software, (its .tar.bz2 file) say amarok (music player) which i got from digit dvd. i messed up with it......but its really difficult for a noob to install a s/w for the first tym.......!!!

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
*help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

This link describes some basic terminal commands. Pretty useful if you ask me.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
hey ubuntu is not detecting my headphones.........do i need to install some drivers or what......??? i cant work on my pc without my headphones....!!!

and kindly tell me or give me some easy or step by step tutorial link to install a software, (its .tar.bz2 file) say amarok (music player) which i got from digit dvd. i messed up with it......but its really difficult for a noob to install a s/w for the first tym.......!!!
Is there something different about your headphone that you are not telling us. Like is it a bluetooth headphone for example/ Also are yu plugging the headphones into the front jack? I had this problem where if you had Intel HDA / Relaterk HDA chipset the front jacks wouldn't work. Try plugging the headphone sin the rears where your speakers would be connected. if your speakers worked there should be nor eason why your earphones wouldn't work either.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
no its normal....intex wired headphones.........and i hav connected them in rear jacks alongside with the speakers port.........
but yes.......i guess.....i have realtek chipset....!!! But these r working fyn with windows.....!!!
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
wat abt this....???

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
no its normal....intex wired headphones.........and i hav connected them in rear jacks alongside with the speakers port.........
I thought that you had to remove the speakers or use the front jacks in order to use the headphones. The rear jacks are for Line out, Line in and Mic right ? Or have I misunderstood. This is assuming that you got a regular onboard setup like I do. Ive seen cards with a greater number of jacks though. Im using an Asus M2N - MX SE and I remove the speakers wire before I plug in my headphone or I use the jack in the front.
Why not check your repositories to see if the software is there first. For example if you are using Ubuntu check synaptic to see if Amarok is in there which it should be. However if you want to compile a package you need to first make sure you have all the packages needed to compile stuff. Its been a long time sicne I wa son Ubuntu so Im not sure what all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom