Splash screen using VB.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
I am developing an application for my project using VB.NET. I want to add a splash-screen (like in Winamp and other softz) before the app launches to include the appz name and the names of the team members. How can I create such a splash-screen using VB.NET?

planetcall

Indian by heart
There are many ways to implement this. You may use timer , or a different thread. Also you may set some event on the splash form with the default timeout so that if user wants the splash to go soon....he may click on it.

OP
bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
thanx planet call..I implemented it using timer bt have another prob now....I set the interval to 4000(4 secs)...I m able to switch over to another form bt not able to close the splash screen after one timer tick.....how can I do that??

Also I wanted to know...is it possible that a particular sound file(wave) plays while my app runs....if yes then how is this possible?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Here's a small example code to be put in a form named 'Splash'. Make this form the startup form and remove border and toolbox properties and make it 'TopMost'.
Code:
    Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
        GoToNextForm()
        Timer1.Stop()
    End Sub

Private Sub Splash_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Dim f1 As New Form1
        f1.initUI()
    End Sub

Private Sub Splash_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Click
        GoToNextForm()
    End Sub

Private Sub GoToNextForm()
        Me.Hide()
    End Sub

In the form1's initUI() method, at the end add a line of code to stop Splash's timer if it hasn't run out and hide the splash form, if it hasn't yet been hidden.

For sound, here's a msdn code
Code:
Public Class SoundClass
   Declare Auto Function PlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" (ByVal name _
      As String, ByVal hmod As Integer, ByVal flags As Integer) As Integer
   ' name specifies the sound file when the SND_FILENAME flag is set.
   ' hmod specifies an executable file handle.
   ' hmod must be Nothing if the SND_RESOURCE flag is not set.
   ' flags specifies which flags are set. 

' The PlaySound documentation lists all valid flags.
   Public Const SND_SYNC = &H0          ' play synchronously
   Public Const SND_ASYNC = &H1         ' play asynchronously
   Public Const SND_FILENAME = &H20000  ' name is file name
   Public Const SND_RESOURCE = &H40004  ' name is resource name or atom

Public Sub PlaySoundFile(ByVal filename As String)
      ' Plays a sound from filename.
      PlaySound(filename, Nothing, SND_FILENAME Or SND_ASYNC)
   End Sub
End Class

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
      ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
   Dim SoundInst As New SoundClass()
   SoundInst.PlaySoundFile("C:\ringout.wav")
End Sub

OP
bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
@siriusb

Thnx for the code...bt still there's a prob...Wen I close the form1...the app still runs...I added an object of splash and closed it in initUI() bt still the app does not exits on clicking the close key(the X on top-right)...

How can I close the app now...

sakumar79

Technomancer
Check out *www.codeproject.com/Purgatory/SplashScreen.asp and *www.codeproject.com/vb/net/vb2005ga.asp

For more links, type ["splash screen" vb.net] in google

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom