Sony Xperia ZR or Samsung Galaxy S4

Newtech123

Right off the assembly line
Hi All
It really feels good to be back here I am sure I will get the right guidance here.
I was thinking of buying a mobile phone
I am confused between Xperia ZR and Samsung Galaxy S4
Here are my concerns.

The dilemma with ZR

1) Dilemma 1 :

only approx 4.5 GB internal memory available to user , as there is no option to install apps in SD card
So with many apps this space will fill up fast , then what do I do? I am not confident with rooting and I do not think I will be able to Root in the warranty period.

2) Dilemma 2 :

OTG ( USB on the go ) what does wiki mean when it says “Note that OTG mode is not officially supported due to Micro-B instead of Micro-AB receptacle (when compared to Xperia Z). This results that standard USB OTG cable cannot be used, but cable adapter with micro-B plug and standard A socket allows to connect peripheral USB devices such as keyboard, mouse, flash drive, sound card.”
Please check this link( scroll down to connectivity and connections ):
Sony Xperia ZR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So if I buy a USB OTG cable and connect my USB mouse or pen drive or keyboard will it work? What do they mean by Micro B type OTG, what do they mean by non standard USB OTG cable?

3) Dilemma 3 :

HDMI connectivity- know this phone has MHL capability , but then again I am going to need micro B to Hdmi connector ain’t I. Is it easy to get ?
So basically these 3 were my main concerns about ZR.

Samsung Galaxy S4:

I have heard that initially this phone had lots of problems, heating issue and lag.
Over time I believe Samsung released OTA updates and problems have been sorted.
But have the problems completely been sorted, or is the device still heating up and lagging?

S4 had approx 9GB free space in the internal memory so that is sufficient for me and additionally there is a provision to move apps to SD card. So in terms of memory this phone is good even without rooting.
So friends please help me here.

These phones are not going to be cheap for me and I do not want to have any regrets after buying.
Please help me with the type B micro USB on ZR and pen drive, mouse, keyboard and HDMI connectivity. Will it be an issue to connect to my HDMI TV and connect mouse and keyboard with this phone.( ZR)

Is the S4 completely healed now? Or does the phone still lag and heat up now.
ZR or S4, if you have either one, please share your personal experiences and guide us all. Your help will be appreciated by all.
Waiting for your precious suggestions.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
fill this up: *www.digit.in/forum/buying-advice/134349-questionnaire-mobile-phone-purchase-queries.html

PS: get ZR or Moto X, ditch S4.
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] can tell about ZR.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Normal usb otg works on ZR. I have connected normal usb mice, razer deathadder( boy does this drain battery fast) and many pendrives. Hdds however don't work due to increased power consumption.

ZR costs 26k, max, whereas S4 costs 28k, min....

I personally would recommend S4, because of better cameras & screen. ZR is great phone, but for 25k Moto X has better screen than ZR. Only con of ZR maybe its poor screen compared to Optimus G, Moto X, even S3.

Many people here have some enemity aganist Samsung, but if you think device looks fine & build quality is ok(which many hate, but those two aspects aren't great in reality too, just fine), then S4 is a great choice. Samsung will provide next android update to it.

I don't know much about OTG, but my friend tried to use normal joystick in it via OTG, but it didn't work. Later he found that he has to either buy Logitech joystick or root his device n put some tweaks to make normal cheap joysticks to work (which was successful). After gaming in the device for about 10-15min, phone surely heats, every phone does (time depends on game too)

As far as lag is concerned, I never faced any lags in his phone.

I never had any hands on exp with either ZR or X

OP
N

Newtech123

fill this up: *www.digit.in/forum/buying-advice/134349-questionnaire-mobile-phone-purchase-queries.html

PS: get ZR or Moto X, ditch S4.
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] can tell about ZR.

Hey thanks for your reply ,
Can you please elaborate on why you want me to ditch S4

OP
N

Newtech123

Normal usb otg works on ZR. I have connected normal usb mice, razer deathadder( boy does this drain battery fast) and many pendrives. Hdds however don't work due to increased power consumption.

Have you been able to do something about the low storage space in ZR, have you been able to root it successfully and move apps to SD card.

OP
N

Newtech123

Hi Anupam,

That's really reassuring, good to know that the S4 does not lag , this was quite a worry for me .
MotoX is out of the question as it does not have TV out or MHL ( HDMI)

So its either ZR or S4
S4 has 9.5 GB internal space available to user which is more than ZR

So please do keep sharing your views till we narrow down to the true best one.

OP
N

Newtech123

Can anybody confirm if CCI bug in S4 has been resolved or not? The cache Coherent interconnect bug as it is called .

S4 I9500 is using Exynos 5410 Chipset ,
Cpu - Cortex A-15 1.6Ghz or 1.2 Ghz Cortex A-7
GPU - PowerVR SGX544MP3

Samsung messed up a little with the 5410 Eynos chipset, the switching between Cortex A-15 quadcore and A-7 quadcore introduces some lag. the CCI is disabled in Exynos 5410 it seems.

Exynos was meant for better GPU's , but since there were no better Mali Gpu's at that time , Samsung in a hurry to launch S4 went with PowerVR SGX544MP3.( At least that is the story , somewhat)

Exynos 5410 and PowerVR SGX544MP3 do not work very well . Read somewhere that the CCI bug was resolved, then again read somewhere that it is an hardware issue which cannot be resolved.

Since only one Quadcore processor is active at one time either 1.6 Ghz ( A-15 Cortex )or 1.2 Ghz( A-7 Cortex) the Exynos 5410 is not as efficient as the 1.9 Ghz snapdragon 600 krait 300 used in the I9505 S4.

Understandably 1.9 Ghz is higher than 1.6Ghz or 1.2Ghz.

Hence users have tried to over clock the Cortex A-15 1.6 Ghz to 1.9 Ghz or more in the Exynos used in S4 I9500 to achieve same or better processing power than the Snapdragon 600.

This limited use of the processor was kind of wastage , the full power and potential of the octa cores are not being utilized.

Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (HMP)
is when all the eight cores work at the same time simultaneously, initially it was thought that S4 will be given the HMP update OTA but it was not due to stability and reliability issues.

Samsung galaxy S5 on the other hand with the Exynos 5420 has HMP and all the eight cores can work simultaneously if required or a combination of the A-15 and A-7 quadcores , unlike the 5410 where only one quadcore was active at one time.

So it seems that the Exynos 5410 has a Bug , but still its a mighty processor and there are many possibilities that can be done with this processor.
Someone even managed to use all the eight cores simultaneously but fried the phone, yes the heat generated was too much with all the eight cores running together at the same frequency .

But I think we can overclock the A-15 Cortex Quadcore from 1.6 to say 1.9 Ghz and make it as efficient as the 1.9 Ghz of the Snapdragon600 .

So is anybody aware if CCI bug has been resolved for sure or not ?

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
At the rate the price is decreasing for S5, if you wait some time maybe you can buy that...
It's already down from 50k to 37k in little over a month... :)

kaz

right here
[MENTION=284620]Newtech123[/MENTION] S4
better screen + better camera + Samsung ka bharosa ;)

At the rate the price is decreasing for S5, if you wait some time maybe you can buy that...
It's already down from 50k to 37k in little over a month... :)

Samsung did it most probably to get an edge over Z2 & M8(both cost approx 10k more).

But i don't think price would fall upto 30k so soon (if INR gets stronger compared to USD, then it would be a different case)

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Samsung did it most probably to get an edge over Z2 & M8(both cost approx 10k more).

But i don't think price would fall upto 30k so soon (if INR gets stronger compared to USD, then it would be a different case)

Well, you never know... A few days back it came down to Rs. 33k with some cashback offer... 30k seems possible to me... :)

$hadow

Geek in making
Thanks Shadow for your reply, do you know how to root S4 and have to done it successfully, will you be able to guide me if required.

Rooting is the easiest way to do in terms of Android. Just few clicks and you are rooted

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you never know... A few days back it came down to Rs. 33k with some cashback offer... 30k seems possible to me... :)

They are making that price point of 45k free for s5 prime. So it is on the cards that it might be available for 30k price point easily.

Rooting is the easiest way to do in terms of Android. Just few clicks and you are rooted

- - - Updated - - -

They are making that price point of 45k free for s5 prime. So it is on the cards that it might be available for 30k price point easily.

If that happens, HTC would be doomed for sure this time............... as Sony would surely reduce its price but not HTC (it's one big stubborn company, i was hoping that Lenovo would buy it)

$hadow

Geek in making
If that happens, HTC would be doomed for sure this time............... as Sony would surely reduce its price but not HTC (it's one big stubborn company, i was hoping that Lenovo would buy it)

This is definitely on the cards coz of Htc policies.
But yeah at a price around 35k s5 specs are pretty good to beat.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
In case you decide to go for ZR, the first thing to do would be to root it.

There is a very good option without unlocking hence losing warranty on XDA. Ralph_Waldo has posted a pre-rooted stock firmware which you can flash.

OP
N

Newtech123

Before we start thinking that the price of S5 will come down , consider the rippling effect it will have on S3 and S4
S3 @flipkart 20,000
S4@flipkart 31190( White )
s5@flipkart 37600

So if S5 were to come to 30000, then S4 would be ? S3 could be?

Its unlikely that S3 will be much lower.
Anyway any price cheaper than the configuration shown below seems too good to be true

S3 =15000 ( Can S3 ever fall below this ?)
S4 =20K-25K
S5 = 25k -30k

We cannot have S4 and S5 at the same price .

Please share your hypothetical prospective prices for all the 3 models few years down the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Sling shot thank you, can you please direct me towards Ralph_waldo , please post the link.
Storage issue is the main problem with ZR if only we could move apps to SD card then its a very good choice.

Top Bottom