Sony Ericsson G700 Review by 'krazzy d aw3s0m3'

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
krazzy

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
And good to hear its music quality better than 5700.
The sound quality in 5700 can be brought to the level of G700 with LCG Jukebox though. And G700 does not sound good on it's default headset. I had to use the 5700's headset with a Fast-Port to 3.5mm adaptor to test the sound. :)

I am having a hard time deciding which phone to buy next. I like Nokia N82 but I hate it's keypad & I SMS a lot. On the other hand the SE G900 fits my needs & has a nice keypad but it lacks EDGE & I am skeptical about the repair factor of touch screen Phones. If the touchscreen malfunctions, is it hard to get it repaired.

What would you guys suggest? I have decided to buy my next phone by September end. By that time SE G900 will be here widespread in market & N82 will drop in price. I also don't know about the availability of 3G in India yet & what will it cost. Should I go for Nokia N82 or SE G900 considering I am buying it in September end. Keep in mind that the "best 5 Mega pixel camera" doesn't matter anymore for me anymore. It is required but if it is the only factor due to which N82 is better then G900 then I will buy G900 instead.
I'll suggest going for N82. The keypad is not as bad as it might look. Try it out in a shop or something.

Ok, edge is something I will need.

If I use the 3.5 mm jack of Nokia n82 with say an EP630 then I will loose the Mic. I won't be able to use it as hands free which I can do in case of G900. My current HPM 70 r my headphone & mic/ handsfree.

Well, is N82's GPS helpful in going from poing A to Point B in Delhi? Seriously, I will extensively use GPS if it is possible.

16M screen is good but I can trade it in favor of better keypad
When you connect a headphone like EP-630, then the phone's mic remains functional. You can use that for your calls. And the GPS can be used that way.

What is the benefit of motion sensor? If I tilt the phone horizontally will that tilt the UI of phonebook, SMS Inbox horizontally too?
Yes.

krazzy, can U sync G700 with WMP11? It will be easier to use the phone if it can sync & play WMA.
WMP11 detects the phone in file-transfer mode. So you can use it to sync G700 with it. It does not support Media Transfer Protocol like Nokia phones though.

Nice review krazzy!

Couple of points though. 3gp video is not supported in the G700 and I got the HPM 64 earphones with my retail box. Also, AFAIK, manual equalizers settings are not possible on any UIQ phone. So its not a specific G700/G900 shortcoming!
Thanks! :)

3gp format is indeed supported in G700 and for that matter any phone which supports videos. I've tested it myself.

You are lucky if you got HPM-64. That sounds much better. As for the equalizers, yes it's a shame that it cannot be edited.

Any idea what will be the price of C905 when launched?
28-30k most probably. 8mp camera, wi-fi, GPS don't come cheap.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
^^Whats so funny?? :|

SE quoted a 500 euro tag at the press release which shall only get lower. :|

btw krazzy, hacked the g700 yet?? Change the acoustic drivers na. :D

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I don't understand this -- what problem does Sony Ericsson have with EDGE? This has been my only problem with Sony Ericsson. I have three SE phones in my home and none of them has EDGE (maybe one of them does, I'm not too sure).

When I purchased the W550i, I hated the fact that it didn't have EDGE, when other phones in ranges much lower than it did. I even had to give in and purchase a Nokia phone once (which is almost akin to using Windows) because Sony Ericsson phones that I liked and were in a similar price range didn't have EDGE.

Why does the company not make it a standard features on all phones, like most other companies do?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Lolz...I wonder what problem Apple had in giving 3G in first generation iPhone itself instead of releasing a new version. Why couldn't they give it when other phone's were giving it as standard? :D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Lolz...I wonder what problem Apple had in giving 3G in first generation iPhone itself instead of releasing a new version. Why couldn't they give it when other phone's were giving it as standard? :D

To save claps and hurray's for iphone 2nd gen's introduction.

think, if 3G was there in the first generation itself, what could they put in second gen to make everyone talk about it???

3rd gen will be called iphone video (with video recording capability)
4th gen will be called iphone A2DP (with streaming over bluetooth radio)

:)

Last edited:
OP
krazzy

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I don't understand this -- what problem does Sony Ericsson have with EDGE? This has been my only problem with Sony Ericsson. I have three SE phones in my home and none of them has EDGE (maybe one of them does, I'm not too sure).

When I purchased the W550i, I hated the fact that it didn't have EDGE, when other phones in ranges much lower than it did. I even had to give in and purchase a Nokia phone once (which is almost akin to using Windows) because Sony Ericsson phones that I liked and were in a similar price range didn't have EDGE.

Why does the company not make it a standard features on all phones, like most other companies do?
That was the past. Nowadays almost all the Sony Ericsson phones (more then 95%) come with EDGE. It's only the smartphones like the G700 are deprived of it. And I have no idea why.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw I have added some screen shots here. Maybe you guys wanna see.
*krazyfrogsblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/sony-ericsson-g700-review.html

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
That was the past. Nowadays almost all the Sony Ericsson phones (more then 95%) come with EDGE. It's only the smartphones like the G700 are deprived of it. And I have no idea why.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw I have added some screen shots here. Maybe you guys wanna see.
*krazyfrogsblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/sony-ericsson-g700-review.html

No way to hack and activate EDGE like we I did for Motorokr E6???

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
That was the past. Nowadays almost all the Sony Ericsson phones (more then 95%) come with EDGE.
Well, I've been out of touch with all other companies' phones since January 2007, so you'll have to excuse my out of date complaint. :p

I'm certainly glad to hear that they have embraced EDGE.

It's only the smartphones like the G700 are deprived of it. And I have no idea why.
Why oh why, that's the question, my dear Watson. Why indeed.

No way to hack and activate EDGE like we I did for Motorokr E6???
LOL! That sure sounds like something Apple would do -- include a feature but hide it from the public. :lol:

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
off topic - Arya, what happened to your Mac?

Maybe SE doesn't find giving edge support worthless. Almost all the world is atleast 3G now

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
off topic - Arya, what happened to your Mac?
The power cord sort of burned and melted, rendering itself and my Mac useless. It's covered under AppleCare so I'm getting it replaced. Till they ship it from Kolkata though, my Mac is dormant. I've also purchased a 3.06GHz 24-inch iMac but it's due to arrive in the first week of August. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom