Sony E14A Series thread+Review:D

adimax

Broken In
Hello ppl.
Sorry for late post but here is my full review and what i think about my sony lappy.So sit back and enjoy.

1.Spec sheet:1.i5-2450m~2.6ghz
2.4GB ddr3@1366
3.14'' 1600x900 vaio display
4.1 gb 7670m
5.500 gb hdd
2.Initial impession:
1.Well to be honest,I was confused between samsung 550p and this.Yes ofc many may say that samsung has better spec sheet but then there are few flaws i found out during initial observation:
a.It looked very bland...as in lifeless
b.yes,it has huge fire power but felt poorly ventilated(the display model in the sammy shop was hot to touch{palmrest},even when AC was on)
c.no backlit kb! :-D
d.those looking for fire power may go for 550p but those looking for even balance may see the review further.

2.It has been with me for 3 weeks and so far it was awesome(i upgraded from Dell 17" studio and miss the 17" screen :p)

3.The Description:Well the laptop has a very nice built.The keyboard is fine(chicklet based),mousepad tends to go a bit awry,specially during multitouch.The exterior is a bit fingerprint magnet,but the palmrest area isnt.
The sceen looks vivid and better than samsung imo.

4.The temp,battery,and performance:
a.When idling:CPU~58 cels,GPU~0 cels(imo,hd 3000 in action)
b.When surfing:CPU~62 cels,GPU~0 cels
c.When gaming(COD:MW3 ultra settings,maxed out@30 fps): CPU:72,GPU~67 cels(7670m)

All of this,in a non AC room,in delhi,where outside temps=42 cels,andno cooling pad

Thats a prelim report,will put in more acc to specific queries.Im trying to upload fotos,but seems it aint working.Anyway ill upload them

Thanks for reading my review and feel free to ask any thing
PS:It costed me 54.9K@nehru place,no bargaining:twisted:

Enjoy the slideshow of my lappy :D

*i.imgur.com/jryZzs.jpg
*i.imgur.com/6UF3zs.jpg
*i.imgur.com/rEatqs.jpg
*i.imgur.com/2Ti2ns.jpg
*i.imgur.com/GZOiDs.jpg
*i.imgur.com/1eisLs.jpg
*i.imgur.com/SUp4Ts.jpg
*i.imgur.com/fu3HNs.jpg
*i.imgur.com/Md2Qts.jpg
*i.imgur.com/yC0bLs.jpg
*i.imgur.com/mjMqOs.jpg
*i.imgur.com/g9GVCs.jpg

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
54.9k for that?

I don't want to sound inappropriate, but are you effin kidding me?! :eeksign:

In the sub 60k range, Sony is outclassed by not just Samsung, but by all other major companies.

Where Sony excels is in the higher range with its amazing 1080p IPS display.

OP
A

adimax

Broken In
well gunner..I had the option of 550p...but then 3 things
1.Build quality of vaio was better
2.Display was better(check my images)
3.Backlit kb!

ofc,your lappy is miles ahead than mine but i like it to serve me for 5 years atleast.:-D

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
well gunner..I had the option of 550p...but then 3 things
1.Build quality of vaio was better
2.Display was better(check my images)
3.Backlit kb!

ofc,your lappy is miles ahead than mine but i like it to serve me for 5 years atleast.:-D

1.Can't comment on build quality without looking at both side by side. But my last one was a 50k VAIO I bought three years ago, and it did have good build quality.
2. I don't know the exact details of your display, but 15.6" 1600X900 anti reflective matte finish > 14" 1600X900 standard display screen (if that is what yours is).
3. At night, you can turn this display to full 300 nit brightness, and voila, its so damn bright you don't need a backlit keyboard anymore.

If backlit keyboard was a dealbreaker for you, then the Inspiron 14R/15R SE would have suited you better. And it would still have been cheaper with better specs.

And lol , the second gen i5 and 7670 won't last for 5 years. :rofl:

Anyway congrats on your purchase. Enjoy. :)

PS : Idle temps on the Samsung are 45-50 non AC room, in Delhi. Around 8-10 degrees less than yours. No change at all while surfing.

You can't play a high end game without an increase in temps. It just isn't possible. COD isn't that game IMO. Its a lightweight game for PC.

har

In the zone
I appreciate the fact that you like the laptop.
but seriously this and 550P :rolleyes:

550P has much lower idle temps(around 44),much better graphics(gt650m>>>>>7670m),much better screen(matte dude !!),. And a 2nd gen proccy at 54k ? You serious :crazy:

And if you think its gonna last 5 years just because its a Sony, you will probably be disappointed. Sony's have loads of problems, Only the cb35 and cb45 from last year have my respect.

randomuser111

Technomancer
Congrats buddy! :)

And I don't think its tough to respect the fact that everyone has a different opinion. Sure Samsung has much better specs but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't like it is a fool.

And the biggest reason why someone would not go for the Samsung model is as adimax pointed out - bland looks.

Anyway, nice pics buddy !!

I really like the design of this model, one of my friends got it recently. ;)

Even the normal E14 looks really nice, especially in white. The wrap design is awesome !!

Last edited:

terrafield

Broken In
My friend had vaio CS series (3 yrs back) and till now he has gone to service center only once and thats for taking backup since there was no OS/Recovery disc provided

I'm still not sure if Sony is charging this much mainly due to build quality or fancy design. If its for build quality then I respect that but not just for fancy design... NOM

Similarly I'm wondering how Samsung is providing so much feature at reasonable cost. Probably they are gaining profit in more sales than margin

I checked with Vijay Electronics in Chennai regarding NP550P. He told me that NP550P is in great demand. 4 laptops booked just for today. Awesome sales

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
How do they do it is quite obvious. I wouldn't wanna say anything about it though as I don't mean to piss off Samsung owners :p

har

In the zone
^
How do they do it is quite obvious. I wouldn't wanna say anything about it though as I don't mean to piss off Samsung owners :p

Yeah it obvious. They probably went to a junkyard and just took some random parts rejected by laptop makers like sony,put it together and selling it cheap :p

sharang_3

Journeyman
wonder when is sony gonna update to ivy bridge..most of their present offerings are sandy bridge and the few ivy bridge models come with intel 4000m

har

In the zone
wonder when is sony gonna update to ivy bridge..most of their present offerings are sandy bridge and the few ivy bridge models come with intel 4000m

There are ivy bridge models for sony from 48k. Graphics are radeon 7670m or gt640m LE.

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
the op has already stated he has indeed considered 550p and also said that he was aware that 550p has more firepower but finalized on this machine for his own reasons. why do you guys start a comparison again in the review thread?

At night, you can turn this display to full 300 nit brightness, and voila, its so damn bright you don't need a backlit keyboard anymore.

i'm sorry but ain't this too much? we know 550p is a great machine, but if it doesn't have a backlit, you can just accept it, there isn't anything to lose. everyone doesn't have the same requirements. you need not try to show that it wins in every department.

if this thread was about a comparison between the laptops, then you may state all these opinions. but he already made the purchase and wants to share the joy with us and took time to take pics and write a review. please appreciate the effort.

even if you really can't hold back your urge to prove your laptop was best, that can stated in a better way compared to how some of the posts above were worded. it would be nice if you make sure what you post doesn't reflect chauvinism.

Last edited:

RON28

Cyborg Agent
congrats :D do some gaming on it and tell people how is 7670m... :) is it close to gt 630m or better than that :)

terrafield

Broken In
@adimax, can you tell me about your experience in gestures in new your E14A notebook? I heard that gestures are improved in new E series particularly 2 finger scrolling

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
nice buy mate. Btw, please update with the full model number (SVE14A16FNH). I think it is better to specify in full. Enjoy the beauty. Congratz on your buy and happy to see that people still buy laptops to not using them as gaming desktop ;) I appreciate your choice... It's simply a beauty, great...

OP
A

adimax

Broken In
@adimax, can you tell me about your experience in gestures in new your E14A notebook? I heard that gestures are improved in new E series particularly 2 finger scrolling

Well terrafield,I must say thats its nowhere close to Mac :-(,but since im using it for the first time(my previous lappy didnt have that),its fine with very few problems(wont work if ure touch is light as...say.....rubbing against a keen knife without cutting ure fingers :mrgreen:)

Also i observed that its touch pad gets confused(points randomly) if i use two fingers from same hand,but is perfectly accurate with two fingers from different hands.Odd it is.

Nonetheless,Im happy.Yes,Samsung 550P has better specs,but I believe in the theory that pure power lies in the cabin of a desktop,which no lappy can replace.It should have moderate firepower,so that one doesnt end up cooking it or his balls :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom