Sony announces NGP (Next Gen Portable) - PSP's Succesor

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
*img827.imageshack.us/img827/7700/12711pspngp200312961192.jpg
*img689.imageshack.us/img689/9868/12711pspngp2004.jpg
*img513.imageshack.us/img513/5986/12711pspngp2001.jpg

5" OLED Capacitive Touchscreen
Quad Core processor :)shock:)
PS3 like graphics :)cool: Just look up some videos.)
Dual Analog :)D)
Rear Touchpad :)|)
Rear and Face Camera
3G, Bluetooth, WiFi & GPS
Live Area UI
Supports Downloaded games for PSP.

Your first look at Sony's 'NGP' handheld | Joystiq
Sony NGP roundup: Specs, games and more | Joystiq

Looks great. Coming end of 2011.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Check these in more detail:

* HARDWARE SPECS CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core) @ 2ghz
* GPU: SGX543MP4+
* External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
* Screen (Touch screen) 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
* Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
* Rear touch pad Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
* Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
* Sound: Built-in stereo speakers
* Built-in microphone
* Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
* Wi-Fi location service support

* KEYS & SWITCHES PS button
* Power button
* Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
* Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
* Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
* Right stick, Left stick
* START button, SELECT button
* Volume buttons (+/-)
* Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G)
* IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
* Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP

MEDIA
NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games. NGP will also come equipped with two cameras on its front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass, all of which are designed to enable users to enjoy the world of entertainment that is linked with real life experiences.

LIVEAREA

Every game title for NGP will be provided with a space called "LiveArea" where users can share the fun and excitement with other players. Users will have access to the latest information of games provided from SCE and 3rd party developers and publishers through PlayStation Network. Additionally, NGP users will be able to view an "Activity" log that is constantly updated with accomplishments from users who are playing the same game, which in turn can trigger active real-time communication among users.

NEAR
SCE will also provide location-based services on NGP as part of the basic features utilizing PlayStation Network. The new application called "Near," developed specifically for this service and the network, will be pre-installed in the system to let users find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Users can meet their friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.

Check HERE for more about its cpu & gpu.

Found something interesting. 5 reasons psp2 won't succeed.

Check here

Last edited:
OP
Ishu Gupta

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
[trolling]
No truly unique gaming features
PS3 didn't introduce anything unique at launch either. Still sells.
Now we are getting PS3 like graphics in a handheld console. IMO that is brilliant.

Big-screen gaming is big-screen for a reason
WTF! Its a PSP2 and not PS4. The screen should be as big as possible while still retaining portability. Anything bigger than this just won't fit your pocket.

AAA games are no longer a killer app
I agree. Lets ban PS3/4 X360. And kill every PC gamer.
BTW A total of 251million PSP games were sold. Highest selling games was 4m and only 3 PS3 (CODMW2, GT5-P, GT5) games have beaten that figure.
Nintendo sold 3 times that though.

The social and locational features will never hit critical mass
Not even a selling point. Just login to facebook ffs.

It could have been something completely different, but it’s more of the same
It gets the second analog stick every PSP owner wanted.
It gets next-gen graphics on a handheld.
Think of the homebrew possibilties with that quad core CPU. Heck PSP can run a DS emulator at low speeds with a single core 333MHz cpu. DS will be no match for the quad core.

Now if you were expecting a rocket launcher, bomb diffuser and x-ray through clothes .........
[/trolling]

Only reason I won't buy this - rumoured price is $400 - $800. Now add "Consoles in India" tax and I cannot afford it. :(

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ ishu gupta

Buddy i completely agree with your points and think the same. psp2 is indeed a breakthrough achievement.

That guy who wrote that article seems to be a nintendo or apple fanboy.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
unlike the current PSP which runs on SONY's firmware which is now "severely exploited", this one is supposed to run ANDROID(if i m not wrong). it would be hard to exploit ANDROID but i am sure the homebrew developers will find a way and when that happens, it will be fun to see the homebrew apps utilizing the mammoth hardware of PSP2!!!
There are already some awesome HOMEBREWs for the current PSPs

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
the quality of techcrunch itself is going down the drain then what can you expect from crunchgear it's just a bunch of fagg0ts,

btw @nims11 you are confusing Xperia Play with the PSP2 ;)

_

dalethomas1

Right off the assembly line
This is a very cute view of NGP. there are some feature of this NGP like Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display,Dual analog sticks etc.

Top Bottom