some questions about Vista Game Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavilion

Broken In
People who use Vista should know it (go to Start Menu and click the Game shortcut), I got some questions for it
1..How does it know a newly installed program is a kind of game and add it to the Game Explorer
2..How does it got the information of the game (such as ESRB , rating score...)
Can I make a thing like this to run in XP ??

ruturaj3

Journeyman
1. In new games there is file GDF(game definition file) - a xml file. wich hav all information related with game.

2. it downloads some data from gamesforwindows.com and store it in the registry.

3. Yes u can, i also thinking to do that in c#, but when i search, its already there on net.

Also we will face many problems in making this app,
1 MS must hav ask the game devlopers to follow some standards while creating GDF. We need add games manually.

2 And we need store data related with older games in database. We cant add all data in setup file. We should giv an update option to user. For that we need to upload it somewhere and able to download via app.

If u r intrested we can try to start with something. as i m idle now days only preparing for MCA CET. btw wat ur doing ?

Regards,

RUTURAJ

OP
pavilion

pavilion

Broken In
thanks a lot ^^ now I have to make up my mind , collect some needed info before getting into real work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom